my system

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
If all goes to plan Very excited so will post my review soon for anyone interested

I am looking forward to the report. Could you specifically confirm what scource you are using (eg vinyl, CD, CD ripping or streaming) for your audition.

Romulus said:
Andrewjvt said:
If all goes to plan Very excited so will post my review soon for anyone interested

I am looking forward to the report. Could you specifically confirm what scource you are using (eg vinyl, CD, CD ripping or streaming) for your audition.

Hi Romulus

Andrew had got his new H360
shades_smile.gif
but is not allowed to turn up the wick until 6pm *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Good for you Rick another happy customer, how do you find the Norweigens to deal with? Please feel free to email me at colin@iqspeakers.co.uk

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Im only gonna do full review of my new amp after getting thicker speaker cables as i feel my old ones are just too thin. Next monday
I love your feedback and your obvious passion regarding your system and your music....It's a pity that there isn't more of it about.

FWIW. I think the Kefs just get better and better, as the system they are in improves.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Romulus said:
Andrewjvt said:

Hi Romulus

Andrew had got his new H360 but is not allowed to turn up the wick until 6pm *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

And turn up the wick i did lol

Hi Andrew

*biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Diamond Joe said:
I hope this doesn't turn into a cable thread now (heads for cover)?

Nah weve all cabled out for now. My old cables are very thin guage silver coated budget cables and im getting cheap £6 m 500 ofc coper but is very thick.
Just imagine what TQ Black would do for your system!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Im only gonna do full review of my new amp after getting thicker speaker cables as i feel my old ones are just too thin. Next monday

Gratulations on your new amplifier. Very envious.

If I was blind and had a generous sugamamma I'd get one in a blink of an eye ;-)

(no offense to anybody visually impaired or any toy boys on this site!)

Looking forward to your impressions.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I too am looking forward to your review.

Mainly interested on your view if the cost justify the improvement and how honest you think the power claims are.

You have itchy ears it seems - considering the high praise you give the H160 I'm a little surprised you are still looking for better.

Puts me in the mind of the WHF reviews of Cyrus amps every year they improved tremendously......never understood those reviews......

Andrewjvt said:
Thompsonuxb said:
I too am looking forward to your review.

Mainly interested on your view if the cost justify the improvement and how honest you think the power claims are.

You have itchy ears it seems - considering the high praise you give the H160 I'm a little surprised you are still looking for better.

Puts me in the mind of the WHF reviews of Cyrus amps every year they improved tremendously......never understood those reviews......

The h160 is a very very good amp/bargin for the price and believe me the power is def there but i also know what you mean about a slight softness to the sound (that does not seem powerful) its like something is missing. But actually its not missing really hard to explain but the h160 blew my old roksan k2 out of the water and seemed to me on par with my old nad c270 power amp for power. But it is also a very refined sound with loads of ambient detail and hidden details of tracks. Anyway what i mean is i am a power freak and i really love it. So dynamic and fast (i mean goes start stop or loud quiet in a flash)

The softness is down to the sound engine technology that sort of dry cleans the distortion away. Once your used to it the feeling disappears.

Enough trying to explain as im rubbish at it but i will say now that pound for pound taking cost and value for money and performance the h160 is in my opinion a better amp as at normal levels tou get most of the performance of the bigger h360 but the h360 is a beast. Hits so hard Once ive got new speaker cable ill be able to hear the new amp a little better.

Could you explain a bit about the "softness". Is this a perceived view based against the 160, or are you talking about a more subtle sound or what...

SteveR750

I'm disappointed. I'd expect the H360 to simply be a more powerful version of the H160, after all the Hegel is all about low distortion ergo no "house sound" whatever that is. I'd love to try one in my system as you can't gave too much power, but I doubt it would sound better at normal levels anyway. I know it wouldn't because I don't expect it to! Either way, sounds like you're having fun Andrew! Btw I saw an H160 on ebay recently, it didn't sell straight away if that means anything, and the price was set to sell. I can understand the opinions on its appearance, but it looks nicer than my laptop so it's OK with me

SteveR750

Important thing is you like it. Who gives a toss whether it's 10W or 2kW, some of the most powerful amps sound lifeless and most un-dynamic, and vice versa. It's only really important once you start turning up the volume, then it starts to become rapidly increasingly important.

On a separate note off topic sorry, but whf still not reviewed the new SCM40s? Maybe ATC just don't trust them ;)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Important thing is you like it. Who gives a toss whether it's 10W or 2kW, some of the most powerful amps sound lifeless and most un-dynamic, and vice versa. It's only really important once you start turning up the volume, then it starts to become rapidly increasingly important.

On a separate note off topic sorry, but whf still not reviewed the new SCM40s? Maybe ATC just don't trust them ;)

Not sure but when I visited their demo rooms (a long time ago admittedly), a large pair of ATC's formed part of their 2 channel reference system.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
SteveR750 said:
They may well do, but I'm surprised that they haven't conducted & published a review specifically on the new 40s. Love or hate ATC, it's a significant moment

Of your set up smc40s and a powerful sub . Who needs the 360 Gonna be looking into that soon

[/quote

I have read some inspiring reviews of the ATC SCM 40 MK2 which makes me want to audion them. But I am a little deflated to learn that they need subwoofers for some. I was hoping these speakers were an all in one solution with out the need for subwoofers?

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Andrewjvt said:
Any chance if time permits to listen to the ATCs?

Regards Andrew

Hi Andrew

I'll let you know

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

[/quote

Hurry up with the arrangements for the audition as we all want to read the review. The What HiFi Forum seems to be grinding to a halt and irritating pop up ads are appearing on each newer thread. This thread is keeping the forum interesting... and alive..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts