My Sonos questions

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm about to take the plunge into the world of Sonos. Mainly to archive the cds so that laddo can move into a bigger bedroom. Anyway here are a couple of questions to help me decide which zone players to get.

With the ZP90 having volume buttons. Does the amp have to be set at a higher volume than normal to give it some 'head room'? Or can I take the pre/power link out of my Nad 3020i and connect straight to the power amp section. Maybe to upgrade to a proper power amp at a later date.

Can the I connect my iPod Touch to a C5 via a LOD cable and use it away on holiday as a portable dock, or can it only work when connected to the rest of the Sonos mesh?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
NSYGrinner:
I'm about to take the plunge into the world of Sonos. Mainly to archive the cds so that laddo can move into a bigger bedroom. Anyway here are a couple of questions to help me decide which zone players to get.

With the ZP90 having volume buttons. Does the amp have to be set at a higher volume than normal to give it some 'head room'? Or can I take the pre/power link out of my Nad 3020i and connect straight to the power amp section.

I wouldn't have thought so, that is, yes you can, but you'd only be able to listen to the ZP90, you wouldn't be able to choose any other source that's plugged into the NAD.

Bear in mind also that the ZP90 volume control is digital, outside of certain levels it's actually modifying the digital signal, which will affect sound quality, it's usually recommended to do the opposite, set the ZP90 volume to fixed (it's in the options) and use the amp volume control. I've done that and it sounds better, although you obviously lose the ability to change the volume from the Sonos controller.

Can the I connect my iPod Touch to a C5 via a LOD cable and use it away on holiday as a portable dock, or can it only work when connected to the rest of the Sonos mesh?

I don't know what an LOD is, but the answer is no, you can't, no Zoneplayer can function without something giving out IP addresses, to my knowledge. This is something that is requested repeatedly on the Sonos forum however, so it's possible it may happen, if it's technically workable (the idea of stereo S5s came from the forum for example, along with cross-fading etc).

You can now run a Sonos system using an iPod as the source but you need the new iPod dock to do it, it's £99 I believe.

A

Anonymous

Hello the_lhc. Thanks for the info. The issue with using a seperate power amp was because I'm wanting to power some in ceiling speakers not really connect any sources into it. Going by your advice I'll go with a ZP120 to be sure. An LOD is a line out cable from the docking point (like the Russ Andrews GQ-24). I'll get a S5 anyway to drag around the house.

I think I'll go for ZP120 x2, ZP 90 x1 and a S5 then.

The 10% at Amazon is calling.

scene

Just to confirm. The out put from a ZP90 is equivalent in power to that from a CD player (say). You need to pass this through a pre+power amp (or integrated) to get a suitable signal. A ZP120 puts out a signal that's is already fully amplified, so no need for either a power amp.

On the ZP90, you have the option to control the volume (level) output using the Sonos controller (app), or to output at fixed "line level". In the latter case, you use your amp to control volume and the Sonos basically outputs at full volume.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. I've placed my order using the Amazon code. Just got to get my NAS up and running. I'll looking into maybe getting some Chord Crimson plus cables at the What Hifi Show. I'm not sure whether to upgrade the mains cabes.

A

Anonymous

Yes you can use the S5 away from the Sonos network, I did exactly that when I went to Scotland earlier in the year. I used my iPod classic 80gb with a 3.5mm - Phono cable from the headphone port connected to the S5. From memory you have to wait a minute or so until the S5 realises it can't find a network then it will recognise your iPod as a source, then just play your music from the iPod as normal and it will output through the S5.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
The big advantage of the ZP90 of course is that you can use it with your own amp/speakers. Otherwise pick the ZP120 and match with speakers of your choice, otherwise the S5 is a superb single unit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts