My Second Crusade for Speakers

Krorghar

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi again Guys.

As you may recently have read in this thread: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/help-pair-focal-aria-948-please I'm Still looking for a pair of Speakers that I actually could Like.

Antecedents: I own a Devialet 200 and a Rega RP10 TT. I listen to Pop/Rock of the 80's, and like a warm sound with high bass power. I have a very problematic room full of glass cabinets and sound reflective surfaces.

TL&DR version of the upper thread:

1-Purchased (blind) a Pair of Focal Aria 948 That I Didn't like, very clear sound, but lacking in bass power (to my liking).

2-Returned them to the Dealer and then listened to these other Speakers.

Sonus Faber Olympica I, Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 (SAMed), B&W CM-1, Some Dali (Don't remeber the model), And Boston Acoustics M350. The one that I Liked most where (Strangely) the Boston Acoustics, and now I have em at home to help me decide.

And then my brother came home ...

.... With a pair of (now Vintage) Celestion Ditton 33, the same pair I was used to listen from my childhood, and they completely beated the Bostons in bass power.

And well.... lost again. This Ditton have just the Bass power I'm looking for, and a warm sound that "fills" the room. But are a bit behind the Bostons and Sonus Fabers in terms of trebble "clarity" (anyway these have 30 years over their shoulders, and still sounding superb).

So .. what now guys, It's the second crusade for my Speakers. Would be very gratefull, if you guys could advice me, I am frankly, very lost, and It's been a month looking for my Speakers *dash1*

Many thanks in advance.

Krorghar

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
By the way ... these are the Dittons:

CelestionDitton33_zpsc5491015.jpg

If you have a Devialet amp surely you should now aim to get a speaker that they have modelled / matched with their new software. Not too sure how many makes of speakers they have done this for to date but surely this list would be the place to start.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Totally agree with Al ears. I wouldn't even consider any speaker that is not SAM-able. So that should limit it to the B&W CM10 or the Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 or 3.0 (since you have expressed that bass power is important to you).

Krorghar

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
hifikrazy said:
Totally agree with Al ears. I wouldn't even consider any speaker that is not SAM-able. So that should limit it to the B&W CM10 or the Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 or 3.0 (since you have expressed that bass power is important to you).

Thanks for the response Hifi *biggrin*. Listened to the Venere, and didn't liked em, Still not enough Bass power to my liking, In fact the Veneres 2.5 and the Bostons where the two finalist, and the Bostons won. *nea* . As for SAM sooner or later most of the Speakers will be SAMables. I have heard this september they will be getting a load of Speakers in their labs to SAM.

DocG said:
And how much money would you like us to help you spend?*angel*

*lol* DocG, to be Honest, the Dev and the RP10 have exausted my budget, but I'm so desperate that would make another economic effort if needed, as soon as I get my Desired sound. So ... about 3000-4000€ would be enough? *dash1*

BTW: on the bottom of this WEB are the SAMable speakers to the Date: http://en.devialet.com/technology/devialet-sam-en/

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Krorghar said:
BTW: on the bottom of this WEB are the SAMable speakers to the Date: http://en.devialet.com/technology/devialet-sam-en/

Yes, you could take it from there, and maybe look here too, for speakers over (or close to) 100 votes, which will most likely get a SAM protocol in the near future.

Which of the brands mentioned do you have access to for demo?

BTW, don't judge the speakers' bass output before you hear them with a SAM-enabled Devialet. The Atohm GT1 standmounter goes to 60 Hz (-6 dB) on its own, and under 20 Hz (!) with SAM enabled (measured for the June 2014 HiFiChoice review). Just saying...

And there's always the Dev's equaliser too...

PS: That wallmounted Devialet of yours looks really sophisticated!*good*

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I was going to suggest the Harbeth SHL5s, which may give you exactly what you want (full bass, warm sound), but I don't know whether you have access to them.

Matt

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you want to get as close to that as possible, you need to look at Spendor Classic Series and Harbeth (as suggested)...though to get that size is expensive.

Spendor Classic: http://www.hificorner.co.uk/loudspeakers/bookshelf-loudspeakers.html?manufacturer=145

Harbeth: http://www.hificorner.co.uk/loudspeakers/bookshelf-loudspeakers.html?manufacturer=149

If you want to look at modern designs, then as previously stated, Kef R500/700 has big bass; you could also look at Dynaudio, which may also have the sound you're looking for.

Dynaudio: http://www.audiot.co.uk/speakers/stereo-speakers/dynaudio/

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Ok I'll admit it I don't know what SAM enabled means! Anyone like to enlighten me?

Chris

SAM ("speaker active matching") is a proprietary DSP technology devised for their amps by Devialet.

Basically it involves Devialet measuring the performance of a pair of speakers and converting these measurements into a tailored DSP package that you plug into your amp. It's designed to correct anomalies in the frequency (esp. LF) and time domains.

So "SAM-enabled" means that Devialet have measured that model of speaker and released the SAM package for it.

The general view seems to be that it can be extremely effective for two-way speakers, but the benefits are smaller for speakers with three or more drivers.

Matt

EDIT: crossed posts.

Hi Krorghar

I think that you should also look at the Focal JM Lab Aria 926, Monitor Audio GX200 and ATC's curved SCM19 monitors. Pair the speakers with a JL Audio E-110 or an E-112 sub. You'll have control over the LF output to suit your needs whilst also finding the bass to be deep, punchy, rich and powerful.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Krorghar

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
DocG said:
Yes, you could take it from there, and maybe look here too, for speakers over (or close to) 100 votes, which will most likely get a SAM protocol in the near future.

Which of the brands mentioned do you have access to for demo?

BTW, don't judge the speakers' bass output before you hear them with a SAM-enabled Devialet. The Atohm GT1 standmounter goes to 60 Hz (-6 dB) on its own, and under 20 Hz (!) with SAM enabled (measured for the June 2014 HiFiChoice review). Just saying...

And there's always the Dev's equaliser too...

PS: That wallmounted Devialet of yours looks really sophisticated!*good*

Thanks DocG, The Dev on the wall is an eyecatcher for sure, that thing shines and reflects light like a mirror. The wall support is also made by Devialet in Metacrylate, a piece of art on its own, pity that the device covers it. I only need to finish with all the setups and tests, so I can finallym put the back cover on it *biggrin*

I'm really not focused on SAM. Of course it helps, and speakers should sound better with this feature enabled, but dont want to discard any model just because is not SAMable at the moment. In the end, it should be in the list sooner or later.

About the brands, august is our enemy here. My dealer is now on vacation till september, when he claims he will be restocking speakers for the christmas campaign. Will see if he can get some of the models you guys are sugesting.

BTW Dev Equaliser is allready on +4.5 trebble +8 bass. *good*

hifikrazy said:
The B&W CM10 may be worth considering then

Yup, thanks Hificrazy, those and some floorstanders from KEF are the ones that I want to test the most. Lest see if I my dealer can get em.

matt49 said:
I was going to suggest the Harbeth SHL5s, which may give you exactly what you want (full bass, warm sound), but I don't know whether you have access to them.

Matt

Thanks Matt. Sadly those aren't even listed in the main dealer's web portal here in Spain, and I don't want to buy them "blind". Will try to find em as they look terrific and "vintage" really like your sugestion here friend *ok*

CnoEvil said:
If you want to get as close to that as possible, you need to look at Spendor Classic Series and Harbeth (as suggested)...though to get that size is expensive.

If you want to look at modern designs, then as previously stated, Kef R500/700 has big bass; you could also look at Dynaudio, which may also have the sound you're looking for.

Yup Cno, I really have no preferences on the Design, I'm kind of "old school" and those vintage looking models looks really nice and I may be favored to get them over the modern ones, but what I value most, is that they could give me the sound I'm looking for. Will check all these brands many thanks friend.

rainsoothe said:
From what I know Harbeth and Spendor are warm speakers and might be what you need.

Thanks rain. As many of you guys have adviced those brands, I'm really looking forward to test them *drinks*

MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Krorghar

I think that you should also look at the Focal JM Lab Aria 926, Monitor Audio GX200 and ATC's curved SCM19 monitors. Pair the speakers with a JL Audio E-110 or an E-112 sub. You'll have control over the LF output to suit your needs whilst also finding the bass to be deep, punchy, rich and powerful.

Thanks Music, I'm also considering That Speaker plus Woofer approach. I allready own a Rel Habitat I sub, that i use for the Home cinema, could give them a try.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Krorghar said:
Yup Cno, I really have no preferences on the Design, I'm kind of "old school" and those vintage looking models looks really nice and I may be favored to get them over the modern ones, but what I value most, is that they could give me the sound I'm looking for. Will check all these brands many thanks friend.

If you are looking for a similar sound to the Dittons, but with a cleaner treble, those "old school" designs will get you the closest.

I suspect the next best will be the R500/700. You will know after listening to the Kefs whether your search is over, or not.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Krorghar said:
I'm really not focused on SAM. Of course it helps, and speakers should sound better with this feature enabled, but dont want to discard any model just because is not SAMable at the moment. In the end, it should be in the list sooner or later.

That's a sensible aproach. SAM can "pimp" a speaker, but if you don't like the overall presentation of the speaker in the first place, SAM probably won't save it for you.

I gather you're limited to what your local dealer can supply. Such is life. Sometimes dealers can be persuaded to get in brands they don't usually stock: a couple of dealers have said they'll do this for me. The Harbeth distributor for Spain is in Barcelona, but Spain's a big country ...

Matt

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts