My poor Cyrus.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Warning : rant alert !

Has anyone had a similar frustrating experience or being shown a similar lack of respect when selling any off their kit ? - Recently demonstated a pair of speakers to a potential buyer to show they were in PWO when this ham fisted individual decided to crank my beloved and ageing Cyrus 8vs2 up to 100% max volume. 100% , I kid you not.
And in one fowl single motion of the wrist for good measure !

The speakers being demoed were just a pair of 9.1s so I was genuinely concerned for my amplifier.
I've personally never felt the need to push this amplifier beyond 30% so what sort of metal process taking place in this fella's skull is incomprehensible to me.

I've seen the YouTube uploads of these numbskulls, with all their 'bass tests' and cone moving, which I always found a bit disturbing , but to see one in the flesh , in my own house , disrespecting my own kit like that was a little shocking to me frankly.

Apologies, had to get that off my chest , maybe I should have posted in the agony aunt section lol.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Some folks just don't have a clue and are devoid of any mechanical sympathy.I hope you threw him out your abode....without the said speakers.what a tosser!

I should've done exactly that Mark.
I reached for the remote and turned it down as soon i realised what was unfolding in front of me. From the moment I seen the cones almost wobble out of their cabinets - the speakers belonged to him !
Picked up the amp 5 minutes after and it was worryingly hot.

You live and you learn as they say.
In future, no buyer gets to go anywhere near the volume control on my amplifier. Simple as.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
A couple of Christmas's ago my 2 year old got hold of my Devialet 800 remote while I was running in my new speakers, and decided to play spin the wheel with it. 2 x 800W unleashed in a second. Time felt like it slowed down as I ran towards her, reaching for the remote. We haven't spoken since.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
A couple of Christmas's ago my 2 year old got hold of my Devialet 800 remote while I was running in my new speakers, and decided to play spin the wheel with it. 2 x 800W unleashed in a second. Time felt like it slowed down as I ran towards her, reaching for the remote. We haven't spoken since.

:)

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Vladimir said:
What was the song that played at 100% Cyrus watts?

I put on Cecilia Bartolli at first put he requested something a bit more substantial.
Put on a Tool CD then ,10,000 days album. I think it was the first track Vicarious that he cranked.
It caused the woofers to wobble uncontrollably. I'd imagine his tweeters aren't in the best of shape.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blasting Tool on those petite speakers. Yikes...

mqdefault.jpg

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Appreciate the empathy fellas .
Thankfully the Cyrus seems to have come away from the event relatively unscathed.
The sudden stress and overheating doesn't seem to have caused any obvious problems anyway as the amp is working away fine driving some cheapo speakers as I await the arrival of my new speakers.

The only thing niggling away at me is the amp is pushing ten years old now so what effect the stress may have on its lifespan only time will tell.
I think my own ticker may have came out worse for wear !

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
about the fact your amp is nearly ten years old, imo older equipment was built to last, a couple of years back I brought a ten year old Naim cd player which has been serviced only once and is still working fine.

*music2*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Alberich said:
Thankfully the Cyrus seems to have come away from the event relatively unscathed.
The sudden stress and overheating doesn't seem to have caused any obvious problems anyway as the amp is working away fine driving some cheapo speakers as I await the arrival of my new speakers.

The only thing niggling away at me is the amp is pushing ten years old now so what effect the stress may have on its lifespan only time will tell.

Your amp has a protection circuit and will go into that mode before any damage is done.

It's easy to trip a Cyrus (or other similar rated ones) into cutting out with average sensitive stand mounts. It's not enough for lengthy loud party's.

You need 3 times that or sensitive floor standers.

A Naim Muso will likely go louder.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
drummerman said:
Alberich said:

Your amp has a protection circuit and will go into that mode before any damage is done.

It's easy to trip a Cyrus (or other similar rated ones) into cutting out with average sensitive stand mounts. It's not enough for lengthy loud party's.

You need 3 times that or sensitive floor standers.

A Naim Muso will likely go louder.

I may be misreading your post but i wouldn't dream of using this amplifier for a party if that's what's being suggested.
Something tells me you haven't read my initial post condemning the lack of respect for audio equipment and referring to what the 'event' was.
If I'm completely misunderstanding you, then I apologise. Thanks for putting my mind at rest regarding the protection circuitry.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't dream of touching somebody else's kit during a demo, at least not a part that I'm not buying.
By all means ask them to turn it up/down/change the music whatever you need for a proper demo.
Shockingly rude.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

If someone did that to my system I think I'd ask them to leave on general principle.

TRENDING THREADS