My Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Review

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Of all the reviews in WHF, the 3 stars for the Oppo was almost the final nail in the coffin for me being a subscriber.

We sit and read all the subjective BS reviews on cables etc (5 stars and a quotable tag line for a wire), and then we got that. We all know that most BDPs are near identical for PQ, so we need to look at other things. It's lst of extras is comprehensive, as well as that there's hdmi inputs, the facility to use as a processor etc.

then look at a 5 star review for the £750 (originally) Denon 2012, which gives you nothing extra. Btw, Denon didn't seem particularly surprised when I reported the problems with some discs.

whf know their clout and yet they were prepared to put forward such a damaging review.

Sorry about the rant. This review made me angry, and I'm not even an owner. It's got my attention as a possible future purchase

It is a moderate concern to me that somehow, equipment reviews in What Hi-Fi are sometimes quite different from reviews in other publications. I'll not quote other Panasonic 60ZT65 reviews here, since this is a Blu-Ray thread, but you might like to read the Home Cinema Choice review of the Oppo 103, here http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/oppo-bdp-103eu-review/15397/ and also the review in AvForums, here http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Oppo-BDP-103-EU-3D-Blu-ray-Player-Review_430/Review.html No What-HiFi 3-star faint praise from Home Cinema Choice and AVForums!

I don't know how What Hi-Fi is, increasingly, the odd man out compared to other review sites. I remain a subscriber, though!

T

theflyingwasp

:) Stunning reviews there for the oppo you get what you pay for.

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
richardw42 said:
Of all the reviews in WHF, the 3 stars for the Oppo was almost the final nail in the coffin for me being a subscriber.

We sit and read all the subjective BS reviews on cables etc (5 stars and a quotable tag line for a wire), and then we got that. We all know that most BDPs are near identical for PQ, so we need to look at other things. It's lst of extras is comprehensive, as well as that there's hdmi inputs, the facility to use as a processor etc.

then look at a 5 star review for the £750 (originally) Denon 2012, which gives you nothing extra. Btw, Denon didn't seem particularly surprised when I reported the problems with some discs.

whf know their clout and yet they were prepared to put forward such a damaging review.

Sorry about the rant. This review made me angry, and I'm not even an owner. It's got my attention as a possible future purchase

It is a moderate concern to me that somehow, equipment reviews in What Hi-Fi are sometimes quite different from reviews in other publications. I'll not quote other Panasonic 60ZT65 reviews here, since this is a Blu-Ray thread, but you might like to read the Home Cinema Choice review of the Oppo 103, here http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/oppo-bdp-103eu-review/15397/ and also the review in AvForums, here http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Oppo-BDP-103-EU-3D-Blu-ray-Player-Review_430/Review.html No What-HiFi 3-star faint praise from Home Cinema Choice and AVForums!

I don't know how What Hi-Fi is, increasingly, the odd man out compared to other review sites. I remain a subscriber, though!

Indeed but if the other mags/ forums gave the oppo 3-stars and WHFSAV gave it 5-stars I wonder what would be said then, surley a review can only be based on what the reviewer is seeing and or hearing, and if they felt that the oppo was only worth 3-4.stars who cares, they are still very popular BUT what HiFi felt that with other players that can do the same [picture/Audio] for alot less money they felt a lower grade was fair, It seems that some mag/forums are the be all and end all of reviews, and they are not. Like has been said many a time check out the product for your selves, reviews are a guide only, but mostly pretty good ones, so fair play if a mag or forum disagrees and scores accordingly...its not the end of the world.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
richardw42 said:

Yep, I based my purchase on those two reviews and BB's recommendation and the many people who buy one.

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
richardw42 said:

Yep, I based my purchase on those two reviews and BB's recommendation and the many people who buy one.

Thats my point Gel you bought the marantz on recomendation and you sent it back, and that had great reviews...

D

Deleted member 2457

pioneer7 said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
richardw42 said:

Thats my point Gel you bought the marantz on recomendation and you sent it back, and that had great reviews...

Yep, I bought the Marantz on the back of the WHF review and DJEliis pictures and comments, and HCC's review too.

T

theflyingwasp

The reviews from forum members, magazines and other online reviews help, l until you get it home and watch a few films , then you will know if you have made the right choice,a 5 minute demo is no good in a showroom,but at the same time if mr gel didnt like the oppo are we allowed to keep sending stuff back if we are not happy but the item is not faulty.

theflyingwasp said:
The reviews from forum members, magazines and other online reviews help, l until you get it home and watch a few films , then you will know if you have made the right choice,a 5 minute demo is no good in a showroom,but at the same time if mr gel didnt like the oppo are we allowed to keep sending stuff back if we are not happy but the item is not faulty.

Depends on how you buy it & your agreement with the dealer.

D

Deleted member 2457

Yep, Superfi clearly state they will allow you seven days to try it and if you are not happy to send it back and that is what I did.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/c-292-blu-ray-players.aspx

D

Deleted member 2457

It cost me £26 to send it back though! You won't want to be doing that many times!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Flicking thorugh this - already reading things that are throwing off why opinions are based as they are.

Its generally accepted that 36bit is not needed as nothing is decoded that high in blu ray - so its better being turned off as you maybe adding processing inside the player I found turning it on added false boost to colour - once off colours appear far more real life.

Secondly - with the exception of the new panasonic blu ray players - that have chroma option where its better to use 4.4.4 - its generally accepted that 4.2.2 is best as that is closest to the 4.2.0 (I think that correct numbers) which is what blu ray is decoded in. Again otherwise there may be addtional processing going on inside the player - its generally best left to the display to make the chroma changes if it needs to

This is hotly debated and I have done loads of reading on it - I would set my player to 4.2.2 if given the option

In terms of increasing the sharpness - my old Pioner LX55 player looked better with the added sharpness +1 until the TV was calibrated - then it looked terrible for having that added - so its probably actually making the picture worse and not better if you chose to go that route.

http://forums.hdtvtest.co.uk/index.php?topic=7213.0

T

theflyingwasp

Thanks for the info there and also its good to know superfi let u demo at home ,26 quid return fee on a £600 blu ray player sounds good ro me if im not happy.im using 4:4:4 just now ,when i first got the player i used avatar in 3d to demo ,twice in 24hours the unit completly froze i had to unplug it.

D

Deleted member 2457

I watched Black Hawk Down last night and that was fantastic - really deep backs and clear picture!

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Just calibration now then....you may as well complete the set up..... and if the picture is good now from others it should be sublime if calibrated, just made enquiries about having mine done, so fingers crossed. 8)

D

Deleted member 2457

pioneer7 said:
Just calibration now then....you may as well complete the set up..... and if the picture is good now from others it should be sublime if calibrated, just made enquiries about having mine done, so fingers crossed. 8)

Ah nice one! :cheers: Yep, I think I should get it done really. Probably decide if I am going to purchase another TV first though. I wonder what the cost would be for two TVs? :?

D

Deleted member 2457

quantumuk said:
Just to let you know the OPPO BDP-103EU player has won the following EISA Award:

European HT Universal Player 2013-2014.

:cheer:

:cheers:

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
No problem gel :)

I find the sharpness control works really well (although I am viewing on a projector). It makes clean looking films look pin sharp, although it does exaggerate the noise slightly on slightly on grainy/badly mastered/shot movies. Worth a try - you might like it.

Also, have a look in the picture settings for 'contrast enhancement', as it does bring out detail in darker areas, and seems to improve contrast ratio too. Works a charm on my (admittedly 4 year old) projector. May be of less benefit with a plasma though.

Though I'd add, as EllisDJ observes, that such picture "enhancements" are counterproductive on a professionally calibrated TV.

Glad you're happy with the Oppo, Gel!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
pioneer7 said:

Ah nice one! :cheers: Yep, I think I should get it done really. Probably decide if I am going to purchase another TV first though. I wonder what the cost would be for two TVs? :?

Less than twice the cost for a single TV.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
No problem gel :)

I find the sharpness control works really well (although I am viewing on a projector). It makes clean looking films look pin sharp, although it does exaggerate the noise slightly on slightly on grainy/badly mastered/shot movies. Worth a try - you might like it.

Also, have a look in the picture settings for 'contrast enhancement', as it does bring out detail in darker areas, and seems to improve contrast ratio too. Works a charm on my (admittedly 4 year old) projector. May be of less benefit with a plasma though.

Though I'd add, as EllisDJ observes, that such picture "enhancements" are counterproductive on a professionally calibrated TV.

Glad you're happy with the Oppo, Gel!

Cheers mate!
smiley-smile.gif
I was running out of options in the end!
smiley-smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
pioneer7 said:

By much?
smiley-smile.gif

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
pioneer7 said:

By much?
smiley-smile.gif

Depends how long the second screen takes to do (ie whether it has 2 point or 10 point adjustment, previous post refers), but its only one set of travelling costs and travelling time so it shouldn't be a straight multiple of x 2 for two sets, x 3 for three etc. Email the ones your considering and ask them for a quote for two (and let them know what the second set is likely to be).

D

Deleted member 2457

mr malarky said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
pioneer7 said:

By much?
smiley-smile.gif

Depends how long the second screen takes to do (ie whether it has 2 point or 10 point adjustment, previous post refers), but its only one set of travelling costs and travelling time so it shouldn't be a straight multiple of x 2 for two sets, x 3 for three etc. Email the ones your considering and ask them for a quote for two (and let them know what the second set is likely to be).

Cheers for the info. I will be trying to negotiate a discount.
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts