My Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Review

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Hi

Just got it this morning and have played around 7 Blu-rays now and I have to say it is very good! I am very happy now. Picture and sound is great. The operation is quick and quiet and everthing works well. Success at last! DVDs look great too.
smiley-smile.gif
I have got myself a keeper.

D

Deleted member 2457

Oh yeah I forgot to say I purchased it from Frank Harvey and got fantastic service from David too - thanks!
smiley-smile.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
No problem gel :)

I find the sharpness control works really well (although I am viewing on a projector). It makes clean looking films look pin sharp, although it does exaggerate the noise slightly on slightly on grainy/badly mastered/shot movies. Worth a try - you might like it.

Also, have a look in the picture settings for 'contrast enhancement', as it does bring out detail in darker areas, and seems to improve contrast ratio too. Works a charm on my (admittedly 4 year old) projector. May be of less benefit with a plasma though.

D

Deleted member 2457

David@FrankHarvey said:
No problem gel :)

I find the sharpness control works really well (although I am viewing on a projector). It makes clean looking films look pin sharp, although it does exaggerate the noise slightly on slightly on grainy/badly mastered/shot movies. Worth a try - you might like it.

Also, have a look in the picture settings for 'contrast enhancement', as it does bring out detail in darker areas, and seems to improve contrast ratio too. Works a charm on my (admittedly 4 year old) projector. May be of less benefit with a plasma though.

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate that. I will have a look at it. Just put it on bitstream and 36-bit so far, and changed the TV aspect ratio, so it was not auto. Everything is working great. I like the way it comes packaged too - a touch of class! The manual is good and clear to read too and the remote control is really nice.

Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
How does it compare with the Marantz?

I think it is similar in a lot of ways but I do prefer the Oppo. Overall I think the picture is a little better on the Oppo. I definitely prefer it. I thought the Marantz had a bit of a cheap feel to it when powering up because two lines would come across the screen and I didn't like that! The Marantz was not bad or anything but I just prefer this.

D

Deleted member 2457

Just watching Transformers at the moment, the picture is fantastic!

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Good to hear such a positive review of the 103.

I'll be doing a 5.1/6.1 soon, with active speakers and the 103/105 is definitely on my mind.

I currently have a Sony BDP & Yamaha AVR set aside for this, but the Oppo would reduce the box count.

D

Deleted member 2457

richardw42 said:

I'll be doing a 5.1/6.1 soon, with active speakers and the 103/105 is definitely on my mind.

I currently have a Sony BDP & Yamaha AVR set aside for this, but the Oppo would reduce the box count.

This is a cracking player, I thoroughly recommend it. Blacks are really black, bright colours are really bright and motion is really good. I am really enjoying this one.
smiley-smile.gif

Juzzie Wuzzie

Richard - I was considering doing that, but not convinced the 103 is up to the task of being a processor. Really only one HDMI input and not the best switching functionality. Perhaps I was just setting it up wrong and Dave from FH might disagree as such.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Juzzie Wuzzie said:
Richard - I was considering doing that, but not convinced the 103 is up to the task of being a processor. Really only one HDMI input and not the best switching functionality. Perhaps I was just setting it up wrong and Dave from FH might disagree as such.

it would certainly be great to hear actual experience using it as a processor. I'd also intend to use the input n the back, and maybe the one on the front.

My thinking is just theory at the mo :)

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I read a review somewhere once comparing the Denon 1713UD and the Oppo 103, according to the reviewer who is an oppo fan had said he thought the Denon "slightly" bettered the oppo on all depts!!

His review on the Oppo is pretty much how your describing it Gel, can't comment on it myself as I havn't seen the Oppo in action, sadly :-(

The way in which you describe the oppo is how I feel about the Denon, can't fault it at all.

How much was your Oppo Gel??

D

Deleted member 2457

jase fox said:
I read a review somewhere once comparing the Denon 1713UD and the Oppo 103, according to the reviewer who is an oppo fan had said he thought the Denon "slightly" bettered the oppo on all depts!!

His review on the Oppo is pretty much how your describing it Gel, can't comment on it myself as I havn't seen the Oppo in action, sadly :-(

The way in which you describe the oppo is how I feel about the Denon, can't fault it at all.

How much was your Oppo Gel??

It was £500 originally but David looked after me well as a forum member and gave me a little discount.
smiley-wink.gif

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
richardw42 said:

This is a cracking player, I thoroughly recommend it. Blacks are really black, bright colours are really bright and motion is really good. I am really enjoying this one.
smiley-smile.gif

smiley-smile.gif
Change of heart then Gel.

"I thought it was quite a comprehensive review, if the picture and sound quality aren't up to snuff, what's is there left to say? I definitely will not be buying this product. "

D

Deleted member 2457

laserman16 said:
gel said:
richardw42 said:

smiley-smile.gif

smiley-smile.gif
Change of heart then Gel.

"I thought it was quite a comprehensive review, if the picture and sound quality aren't up to snuff, what's is there left to say? I definitely will not be buying this product. "

Yes, well!
smiley-laughing.gif

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Just one puzzling thing, Gel. If you are so pleased with your new Oppo 103, then why have it in your second AV system, rather than in your main AV system? I presume that it is better than the Pioneer LX 71, or is that not so?

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
Just one puzzling thing, Gel. If you are so pleased with your new Oppo 103, then why have it in your second AV system, rather than in your main AV system? I presume that it is better than the Pioneer LX 71, or is that not so?

It is in the main one at the moment. I haven't quite decided whether it will stay, I am thinking probably yes.
smiley-smile.gif
Is it better than the Pioneer? I would say very close.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts