My Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

Here she is:

9504206530_c0e232515c.jpg

One of the Marantz:

9504212322_2ae9f08f39.jpg

buzz_lightclick

Hi Gel. I've been reading your thread on the Pioneer LX55, and apart from the freezing issue you had, would you say the Oppo is twice as good as the Pioneer in terms of picture quality and sound, as it is twice the price! Thanks.

D

Deleted member 2457

buzz_lightclick said:
Hi Gel. I've been reading your thread on the Pioneer LX55, and apart from the freezing issue you had, would you say the Oppo is twice as good as the Pioneer in terms of picture quality and sound, as it is twice the price! Thanks.

No, definitely not. The Pioneer, Oppo and the Marantz are virtually all the same for picture quality. I just have a preference for the Oppo. With the sound strangely I prefer the Oppo and Pioneer to the Marantz but again they are all very similar.

D

Deleted member 2457

Just doing some charity work for a local organisation, but nothing too heavy.

T

theflyingwasp

Hi gel I've had the oppo 103 since April ,I am very pleased with it ,let us know how u get on with the oppo picture settings I haven't played about with them.

I had the gt50 until aswell up until June so I know how good the picture is , I wish I could see other high end blu ray players so I could see any differences between them .id love to see the £3500 primare blu ray payer in action,just to see if its worth the price tag

also I had problems to begin with the unit froze a couple of times set it

colour space (Hdmi 1) YCBCR 4:4:4

Colour space (Hdmi 2) YCBCR 4:4:4

and multi system

D

Deleted member 2457

theflyingwasp said:
Hi gel I've had the oppo 103 since April ,I am very pleased with it ,let us know how u get on with the oppo picture settings I haven't played about with them.

I had the gt50 until aswell up until June so I know how good the picture is , I wish I could see other high end blu ray players so I could see any differences between them .id love to see the £3500 primare blu ray payer in action,just to see if its worth the price tag

also I had problems to begin with the unit froze a couple of times set it

colour space (Hdmi 1) YCBCR 4:4:4

Colour space (Hdmi 2) YCBCR 4:4:4

and multi system

Will do. At the moment I am just using normal factory settings, bitstream and 36-bit. I hope I don't have any problems. I bet it looks great on the ZT65.
smiley-smile.gif

T

theflyingwasp

Yes it's awesome ,no other word for it.watched the evil dead yesterday and rise of the planet of the apes on both on blu ray,I posted a thread about using the smooth film option ,I know it comes down to what each person prefers but I like the setting to the max.

im using monster Hdmi from the oppo to zt65 and audio quest vodka from oppo to soundbar.

D

Deleted member 2457

theflyingwasp said:
Yes it's awesome ,no other word for it.watched the evil dead yesterday and rise of the planet of the apes on both on blu ray,I posted a thread about using the smooth film option ,I know it comes down to what each person prefers but I like the setting to the max.

im using monster Hdmi from the oppo to zt65 and audio quest vodka from oppo to soundbar.

I am pretty sure mine is set to max too. I just have it on factory settings and love it. I watched Django Unchained last night and thought that was corking too.

T

theflyingwasp

Getting mine calibrated at some point in September it's a sin to have this tv and not have it properly calibrated ,the niggling thing is tho the picture already looks amazing ,it will look better but by how much ,out of the box on the default thx settings look good enough to me .

I'm sure the folks at what hifi have forgotten more than I will ever know but 3 stars for this player was a bit harsh!

D

Deleted member 2457

theflyingwasp said:
Getting mine calibrated at some point in September it's a sin to have this tv and not have it properly calibrated ,the niggling thing is tho the picture already looks amazing ,it will look better but by how much ,out of the box on the default thx settings look good enough to me .

I'm sure the folks at what hifi have forgotten more than I will ever know but 3 stars for this player was a bit harsh!

Yep, I know what you mean my out of box settings are great, I don't know how much better it can get. Yep, I think the 3 stars might be a bit harsh too now. The review itself I read again the other day just before I bought it and I actually don't think it reads too bad. It mainly moans about the price and sound, and compares it to the Pioneer (I think), which has operation issues on some too. I think seeing the Marantz too recently it is worthy of more praise.

T

theflyingwasp

Yes the whole knocking a star off for price thing really bugs me ,every bloody review for the zt65 mentioned price price price ,if your going to spend £500-£1000 on a blu ray player it's up to the individual ,I can only assume someone who spends £500 on a blu ray player doesn't have a £200 tv ,I'm not saying just because something is more expensive it's automatically better for example the audio quest diamond cable but for the price of my player,tv and soundbar u can buy the omega sea master skyfall watch.a watch or state of the art home cinema equipment I will take the electronics thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

theflyingwasp said:
Yes the whole knocking a star off for price thing really bugs me ,every bloody review for the zt65 mentioned price price price ,if your going to spend £500-£1000 on a blu ray player it's up to the individual ,I can only assume someone who spends £500 on a blu ray player doesn't have a £200 tv ,I'm not saying just because something is more expensive it's automatically better for example the audio quest diamond cable but for the price of my player,tv and soundbar u can buy the omega sea master skyfall watch.a watch or state of the art home cinema equipment I will take the electronics thanks

Yep, the Panasonic ZT65 is probably the best TV ever and yet from the review perhaps you might not get that sort of impression. The star system certainly has a mind of its own at times.
smiley-smile.gif
I think this is where demos and knowledge of products can help from other sources too.

D

Deleted member 2457

I have to say the Oppo is the first 3 star WHF product I have ever bought though.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Of all the reviews in WHF, the 3 stars for the Oppo was almost the final nail in the coffin for me being a subscriber.

We sit and read all the subjective BS reviews on cables etc (5 stars and a quotable tag line for a wire), and then we got that. We all know that most BDPs are near identical for PQ, so we need to look at other things. It's lst of extras is comprehensive, as well as that there's hdmi inputs, the facility to use as a processor etc.

then look at a 5 star review for the £750 (originally) Denon 2012, which gives you nothing extra. Btw, Denon didn't seem particularly surprised when I reported the problems with some discs.

whf know their clout and yet they were prepared to put forward such a damaging review.

Sorry about the rant. This review made me angry, and I'm not even an owner. It's got my attention as a possible future purchase

D

Deleted member 2457

richardw42 said:
Of all the reviews in WHF, the 3 stars for the Oppo was almost the final nail in the coffin for me being a subscriber.

We sit and read all the subjective BS reviews on cables etc (5 stars and a quotable tag line for a wire), and then we got that. We all know that most BDPs are near identical for PQ, so we need to look at other things. It's lst of extras is comprehensive, as well as that there's hdmi inputs, the facility to use as a processor etc.

then look at a 5 star review for the £750 (originally) Denon 2012, which gives you nothing extra. Btw, Denon didn't seem particularly surprised when I reported the problems with some discs.

whf know their clout and yet they were prepared to put forward such a damaging review.

Sorry about the rant. This review made me angry, and I'm not even an owner. It's got my attention as a possible future purchase

It will be interesting to read future Oppo reviews, it is very similar to my Pioneer 71 and in this respect it is definitely better than budget Blu-ray players (certainly the ones I have seen).

T

theflyingwasp

A newbie to home cinema might have ignored the oppo altogether ,500 quid and 3stars ,but pretty much everywhere else it's getting reference reviews,I'm one of the lucky ones I went from really good to great,I had the Panasonic bdp220 with the panasonic gt50 to the oppo 103 and the Panasonic zt65,it's going to take something pretty special for me to upgrade in the next 3 years

4k tv at £4000 max which will probably mean a new type of player ,but cost and equipment aside ,it's the content I will upgrading for the better the movie looks the better,I should have shares in all the film studios by now .but when they start throwing movies out in the next format I will start rebuying again.they won't be proper 4k but a lot of movies are now being filmed in 4k.

Lots of reviewers are saying once you've seen 4k it's hard to go back to HD

D

Deleted member 2457

theflyingwasp said:
A newbie to home cinema might have ignored the oppo altogether ,500 quid and 3stars ,but pretty much everywhere else it's getting reference reviews,I'm one of the lucky ones I went from really good to great,I had the Panasonic bdp220 with the panasonic gt50 to the oppo 103 and the Panasonic zt65,it's going to take something pretty special for me to upgrade in the next 3 years

4k tv at £4000 max which will probably mean a new type of player ,but cost and equipment aside ,it's the content I will upgrading for the better the movie looks the better,I should have shares in all the film studios by now .but when they start throwing movies out in the next format I will start rebuying again.they won't be proper 4k but a lot of movies are now being filmed in 4k.

Lots of reviewers are saying once you've seen 4k it's hard to go back to HD

An Oppo 103 with a Panasonic ZT65 is a winning combination for sure. I have seen 4K and it is good, I saw it on a Sony but the black levels were no where near that of your Panasonic. Detail was good though.

T

theflyingwasp

I need to see a 4k display to see what all the fuss is about.4x the resolution of blu ray god damn!!!

D

Deleted member 2457

theflyingwasp said:
I need to see a 4k display to see what all the fuss is about.4x the resolution of blu ray god damn!!!

A 4K Panasonic plasma would be pretty special!
smiley-smile.gif

T

theflyingwasp

Panasonic must have there reasons for pulling out of plasma market ,I'm sure panasonic and Sony made losses last year ,half the country are taking out pay day loans and these company's are pushing 6 grand televisions,

T

theflyingwasp

Yes my friend vodka,chocolate,cinnamon ,forest,pearl,carbon ,diamond and the funny thing is they probably all perform the same,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts