MY NEW SYSTEM

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everybody,need some advice. I have been listening to my inherited 20 yr old system now for 10 yrs and it has given me a lot of pleasure, however! its time to update .There are so many different systems and separates, i am lost. My vinyl has now been converted to digital so i am looking for a cd based system with plenty of punch for my edgy music taste. it has to suit quite a large space (room size 16 x 24 ft high ceilings) looking to spend no more than 50k . HELP!
emotion-21.gif

legoyoda

May 8, 2009
Visit site
chris.s:...looking to spend no more than 50k . HELP!
emotion-21.gif

..... way WAY out of my league but good luck in getting what's going to be something insanely impressive!

A

Anonymous

Well I would suggest the following - if that's not a typo and it really is 50k

Moon P8 Pre-amp

Moon W8 Power-amp

Moon Andromeda CD player

Sonus Faber Amati or Stradivari speakers - depending on the dealer, you should get that for up to 50k and have money towards cabling also......

Job done ..... awesome.....

;-)

Prices are going up in January, so I hear, so be quick !! + the VAT increase also .....

A

Anonymous

What about making friends with local nice dealer(s) and arranging home demos of systems they recommend at a few price points, and decide how much to spend based on what you enjoy listening to.

I probably wouldn't suggest asking the same dealer to demo you a 3k and a 50k system. The temptation to have a 3k system without much synergy might be too much for some to resist! You could get to know a few dealers and get each to put together one or two systems at different prices points.

Rob

A

Anonymous

50k? Are you sure you don't mean 5k?

You can have one hell of a hi-fi system for 50k I would imagine.

Are you a premiership footballer?
emotion-46.gif

If that wasn't a typo, I wouldn't mention your budget when visiting dealers, just ask them whats the best system they have.

A

Anonymous

thanks big air,found a dealer in warrington to demo the moon components,but he cant do the

sonus speakers. monitor audio,proac,quad and wilson benesch. what do you think., Quad and Wilson Benesch.

Messiah

For £50,000 you can't go wrong with some AVI ADM 9.1s and some decent stands. Pick a source of your choice - CD, computer based.......

But seriously, if I had that kind of money it would be Meridian all the way!! Get some DSP 8000's and a Sooloos. Job done! With change for some music to load onto the Sooloos!!

A

Anonymous

cheers messiah. that has completely thrown me. checked out a moon system this morning and was comp blown away, had some speaker issues so going back next week to try some different spkr set ups . on your advice dropped in to a dealer to see the Sooloos .wow!!! difficult to comp sound,as a newbie to top qual audio it all sound great. The techno head is telling me to buy, having a 3000+ music collection it makes sense. So i am now at final 2 ,decisions , decisions ?????

A

Anonymous

Here is a relatively decent system for £15k buy it now

ebay item 120495004853

Naim system with B&W 802D speakers

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
dim_span:

ebay item 120495004853

They're probably selling to get a pair of ADM 9.1s...

Sorry.

A

Anonymous

al7478:dim_span:

ebay item 120495004853

emotion-2.gif

T

the record spot

Do youself a favour and check out some McIntosh kit. Jaw-droppingly impressive gear.

matthewpiano

I'm not sure you need to spend £50k to get awesome performance. With pretty much free reign, budget-wise, I would be listening to the following brands:

Unison Research (their valve amps are stunning)

McIntosh

Luxman

Accuphase

Sugden

Focal

Opera

Audio Note

Art

ATC

A

Anonymous

Hi again - not sure where you are at now - why don't you contact Absolute Sounds and ask where in your area supplies Sonus Faber - see if you can get them together, unless you are willing to travel a bit (I would - when thinking on this budget) .....

I can't recommend them highly enough, especially with Moon amps [that'll be why I've recently ordered some then!!]

Otherwise a dealer may bring them to you, some do such things!

A

Anonymous

chris.s:
thanks big air,found a dealer in warrington to demo the moon components,but he cant do the

sonus speakers. monitor audio,proac,quad and wilson benesch. what do you think., Quad and Wilson Benesch.

Aren't Doug Brady Hi-Fi in your area? I just did a quick internet search for Sonus Faber Dealers in the UK.....

They have carried both brands, so maybe call them to see if they can hook you up a demo....

If you want to email me feel free

nigelhorwood@yahoo.com

A

Anonymous

chris.s:Hello everybody,need some advice. I have been listening to my inherited 20 yr old system now for 10 yrs and it has given me a lot of pleasure, however! its time to update .There are so many different systems and separates, i am lost. My vinyl has now been converted to digital so i am looking for a cd based system with plenty of punch for my edgy music taste. it has to suit quite a large space (room size 16 x 24 ft high ceilings) looking to spend no more than 50k . HELP!
emotion-21.gif

PUT THAT £50K TOWARDS A HOUSE, FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!

A

Anonymous

Don't be silly - you can't listen to much of anything on a house, it's a complete mis-match in the "form v function" stakes for a hi-fi !!

matthewpiano

Actually I'm with EvilWolf. Its a heck of a lot of money to spend on a hi-fi and you'll get nothing like 50x the performance of a £1k system.

I'd be inclined to do some extensive listening to see whether it really is worth spending that sort of amount.

A

Anonymous

I have ..... it is ...... !!

Clearly it's not 50x as good as a £1k system, but having listened at various price points on the way up there - it is clear to say that it got better at each step - and lastly improved in ways that no other system I've heard had shown - the true realism and involvement, that is what I thought hi-end kit should give.

Not everyone will agree and it is clearly an awful lot to spend on anything - but if someone is considering the budget I imagine it's 'cos they can afford it. Maybe they already have a huge house to put it in, or whatever other criteria people may feel would need to be in place to spend such on a system ..... just a thought!

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I would argue that many £50k systems sound inferior to a typical £5k system simply because most people that buy £50k system are very wealthy people that are not hifi enthusiasts. So there's little thought put into it, no research, no experimentation, no tuning, no tweaking, and most importantly, it won't have the finely tuned synergy that a doting hifi nut will ensure in his £5k system.

So with my brilliant logic, we are all enjoying superior SQ to the filthy rich.
emotion-5.gif

matthewpiano

I'm not questioning anyone's right to spend their money on whatever they want. I'm merely questioning whether that spend is likely to be rewarded by a sufficient improvement over less expensive kit and I don't think it would do the OP any harm at all to do his own listening to systems at various different price points on the way up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts