My new set up.

Steel_Lynx

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi all!

Ok, so after loads of looking around and basically using WhatHiFi as my buying guide I finally managed to get all my bits together and set it all up (yay me).

I have a Samsung UE55ES8000 Television, connected to a Yamaha RX-V673 amp, and wired in to the router with a CAT 6 ethernet. The Bowers and Wilkins MT-50 package, sitting on Partington Super Dreadnought stands (unfilled at the moment), using QED Silver Micro cable.

The tele is plugged in to the amp via a Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI and the SkyHD is plugged in to the amp using a Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI and a QED Profile optical cable ( I was told I needed that for the sourround sound to work), the Sub is connected to the left 'Line in' using a QED optical as well. My Xbox360 is also plugged in but using the standard HDMI cable that came with it (for now)

1: I was wondering if I need an optical cable for the television as well? And also is the sub connected properly as I thought I followed the instructions but it failed the set up test (using the supplied YPAO thingy) Error W-3 or something like that and wondered if I've maybe set it up wrong (first timer and all that)

2: Also, I realised (after a lot of effing and jeffing feeding the cable through the wall and getting the tele back up) that these decent HDMI cables are directional. The arrows point 'from' the tele and 'In' to the amp, is this the right way round (it says it's supposed to go from the source but wasn't sure if the amp is now considered the source) I'm hoping I've been jammy and got it the right way round but would like to be certain!

3: Do I need the tele to be connected to the net or would it be best for me to use the amp?

Sorry for the long post, but it took me a while to save up for all this equipment so would like to be sure I'm getting the very most out of it!

Thanks in advance for any help you can shed on all this as it's still all very new (and it has to be said quite confusing/daunting).

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
(1) HDMI only is fine for TV to amp. The sub does not connect with optical. There should be a sub out on your amp which connects to the sub via a single RCA cable.

(2) HDMI is not directional, don't worry. As long as it's working, it's fine.

(3) You don't *need* it, it depends what 'smart' features you want and which component can provide them.

I'd also comment that your choice of stands seems a bit extreme for those speakers.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Adding just a little to Bens advice. The Yamaha needs to know that the audio is from optical and not hdmi for the sky box. DD programmes should show Dolby Digital and not DDPLIIx. The sub connection seems odd. How have u used an optical???
Use the subout from the Yamaha.

Steel_Lynx

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, it's an QED Precision Audio cable, not an optical cable at all..... It is plugged in to the left 'line in' on the sub and in to the 'Sub 1' socket on the back of the amp.

Very pleased the direction of the HDMI cable isn't important (it said it was directional on the back of the box so assumed it was fairly important)

I went for the Super Dreadnoughts as they got a good write up, I didn't realise it was possible to get stands that were too good for the speakers. Thought it was the other way round. At least when I upgrade I'll be able to just change the speakers and keep the stands.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
That sounds like a subwoofer cable and it sounds like the right connection (having viewed a pic of the back of the sub). Is the sub definitely switched on? Is there a menu setting to switch the sub out on?

Great speaker stands, it's just they'd normally be used for a chunky, full sized speaker. As you say, handy for any future changes :)

Keep us updated.

Steel_Lynx

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yep, the sub is definitely switched on (there's even a little green light that says so) I do get sound out of it and I've been playing with the settings and it shows up on the screen although the rear speakers showed up as large on the detection thing so I changed that to small (maybe because they're under the eaves or something) Just wondered if it was connected up incorrectly due to the W-3 error code on the initial set up using the supplied YPAO mic. It's probably the shape of my room that's messing the detection up and maybe something I'll just have to live with. Blu-Ray player will be the next purchase (which I think also just needs an HDMI and no optical?)

Just noticed I didn't reply to Robins post! The SkyHD box is set on Dolby (think the only other option available was mono) that was actually one of the first things I looked up.

Thank you to you both for your help so far.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes a blu ray player just needs hdmi.

I've just googled your error, sorry I misunderstood what you were saying before. I would try moving the sub somewhere else (maybe the middle of the room) to try and see IF setup can be completed without the error. If it is possible, then you can try a different sub position if at all possible. If you can't move it, run the setup without the sub and adjust the sub manually, although the error indicates you may not end up with the cleanest bass.

Steel_Lynx

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
That's good news too then as I put the optical in to AV4!!

Sadly, the sub is pretty much stuck where it is so I will have to put up with it. There's lots of switches on the back so I will probably have a play with those and see what they actually do!

Thank you both for all of the help you've given, it is very much appreciated.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
The reason I recommend moving it to do the setup is to see if it is possible to get it to work without an error. If this is impossible wherever you have the sub it may indicate that the mic or software is faulty, which you may be able to resolve with your retailer. If you can get it to work somewhere but have to put the sub back where it is you know there is some sort of local acoustic problem. You can then adjust the sub manually and do the best you can.

Steel_Lynx

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, I took the front grille off and turned the sub to a different angle and ran the test again and it all came out ok (sub said 100Hz on the test), I then turned it back to how it was but moved it forward about 5cm and again, it passed the test without any errors (although the sub said 80Hz this time and I don't really understand what that actually means in the grand scheme of things) It still says the surround speakers are large so I've changed that to small in the settings and changed the sub to 100hz (like I know what I'm doing lol) At least it's passed the test this time.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
It does, but those satellites are going to struggle at 80hz whereas another 20hz is unlikely to be much of a problem for the sub. No point sticking rigidly to the thx setup if it doesn't fit in with one's own kit.

Steel_Lynx

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I haven't done a THX test thing yet, just used the YPAO microphone that comes packaged with the amplifier (unless that actually is the same thing......) Had another look at the manual earlier. There are so many functions!!! Enhancer on/off. Cinema DSP3D mode, all sorts of funky stuff. Pure Direct seems to be quite good although it appears to not use the amp (is this normal?) Adaptive DRC which as far as I can tell doesn't really do much! Still, I guess it gives me something to fiddle with!

Also, I put the bass crossover on 120 (I do listen!)

Really need/want to sort out a blu-ray player now!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts