My new Rega DAC

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
WOW!

Got my new Rega DAC today, partnered with a Rega Brio R, RS1 speakers and a Marantz CD6004 as a transport.

It sounds absolutely fantastic, every cd I've played sounds more musical, has more detail and better sound staging!

Apparently they improve with use, it's been on 6 hours already so things are going to get event better!

I was thinking about upgrading to another CDP, but thanks to you guys I have gone the DAC route and don't regret it one bit!

SSM

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Congratulations. The Rega DAC doesn't get much wrong. Full-bodied, detailed and rhythmic. With zero listening fatigue. It could be the component you keep for the longest while the others get upgraded.

Be interested to hear which filter you'd choose to settle with.
smiley-smile.gif

SS

stevebrock said:
WOW!

Got my new Rega DAC today, partnered with a Rega Brio R, RS1 speakers and a Marantz CD6004 as a transport.

It sounds absolutely fantastic, every cd I've played sounds more musical, has more detail and better sound staging!

Apparently they improve with use, it's been on 6 hours already so things are going to get event better!

I was thinking about upgrading to another CDP, but thanks to you guys I have gone the DAC route and don't regret it one bit!

Hi stevebrock

Nice one 8) and i hope that you continue to enjoy the performance of your system for many years to come :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
SSM said:
Congratulations. The Rega DAC doesn't get much wrong. Full-bodied, detailed and rhythmic. With zero listening fatigue. It could be the component you keep for the longest while the others get upgraded.

Be interested to hear which filter you'd choose to settle with.
smiley-smile.gif

SS

Any tips on filters? My unit is not very accessable for changing and comparisions.

Have you noticed differences?

Cheers

Ambrose

SSM

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
After nearly a year of ownership, I found myself settling for Filter 4. Filter 1 has slight traces of sibiliance (through my speakers at least). My other favourite filter is Filter 5. It seems a mite more detailed but I reckon rhythmic music is more PRaTty through 4.

I can't make out any characteristics to 2 and 3, except I tend to switch away from them after the first hour during long-term listening (e.g. internet radio streaming).

cheerSS

stevebrock said:
WOW!

Good stuff.

If you're looking to upgrade the speakers look at PMC DB1i. They are without question THE best sub-£1000 standmounter, and should be stunning with your Regas.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Funny you mention speakers, I did demo some neat motive 3 which were ex demo for sale at £640, however they sounded too bassy in my room, the Rega RS1 sound brilliant though...went for the piano black finish and they were just under £500 so I won't be thinking of upgrading for a while!

Ah, in that case they may not suit your taste.

They are probably the best all-rounders I've come across: sound impressive with Leema, Arcam and Naim. TheStig08 has the same set-up as you with the DB1is and loves them. John Duncan has them with his Cambridge kit, and in fact I can't think of a brand/system they wouldn't sound really good with.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
:grin:
plastic penguin said:

They are probably the best all-rounders I've come across: sound impressive with Leema, Arcam and Naim. TheStig08 has the same set-up as you with the DB1is and loves them. John Duncan has them with his Cambridge kit, and in fact I can't think of a brand/system they wouldn't sound really good with.

Thestig has now the QEF R100 in is system... :grin:

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
:grin:
plastic penguin said:

Thestig has now the QEF R100 in is system... :grin:

Without digging through past threads, my understanding was that he had the DB1i with Naim, but had to sell it for some reason. Then when building his new setup with Rega kit, he tested the DB1i and they lacked something compared to how they sounded with his old kit, and he thought the R100s sounded much better with Rega.

TRENDING THREADS