Cyrus 8VS2 Replacement

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys

Had a Cyrus 8Vs2 for a while now and it's been a great servant over the years. Had it partnered with various kit and always been happy with it. Anyway i am looking to replace it but only looking to spend around £600 ideally. I have been briefly looking at the

1. Rega Brio,

2. Rega Elex-R

3. Audiolab M-One.

Always liked Rega and had some great speakers previously (R3's) and the reviews of the Brio all seem excellent. It looks great and will fit in well with the space i have, however it has no digital inputs which isn't the end of the world but i listen to a lot of Sonos via a Connect, although the built in DAC sounds pretty good to me.

The Elex-R seems like a good option too and is in a smiliar price bracket to my Cyrus (when it was new).

However the Audiolab has decent reviews and has a DAC an digital input options.

Overall sound quality is the most important thing to me, of the Audiolab is on a par then i will be tempted as it has more flexibiltiy.

The rest of my system is

PSB Imagine Mini speakers

Sonos Connect (used to stream lossless)

Cyrus CD8X (hardly used now)

Really interested to hear people's opinions, will the Brio be on a par or better than my Cyrus or will it offer a totally different sound? what will the other options offer?

Thanks

gasolin

I think the Audiolab M ONE is no match for rega Slightly lean balance Treble lacks refinement according to whathifi, you should also consider the Cambridge audio CX60/80 and Marantz PM8005

PSB should work fine with nad amps, might consider listening to the Nad D3020 or the new Nad D3020 V2

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I did have a brief look. I know it is about how they sound but they are so ugly! I will try and have a look at one in the flesh though.

Do they have the traditional Cyrus sound?

Thanks

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, will have a look. I haven't heard any of the new Arcam stuff, i have had 2 Arcam amps in the past and found them a bit too laid back, not particularly exciting. Hopefully they have changed a bit.

Bumrah said:
I did have a brief look. I know it is about how they sound but they are so ugly! I will try and have a look at one in the flesh though.

Thanks
It is based in the amplification used in the Lyric and Stereo 200 power amplifier, so a little different to the ‘classic’ stuff. And it does look better in the flesh.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
davidf said:
Bumrah said:

Thanks
It is based in the amplification used in the Lyric and Stereo 200 power amplifier, so a little different to the ‘classic’ stuff. And it does look better in the flesh.
could be a fantastic upgrade

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Agree with Penguin if you cant demo trying a different brand with a different house sound to what you are used to could end up expensive if you dont like it.

Cyrus one Looks good at its price and well spec'd out.

TRENDING THREADS