My new pride and joy!

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
New flat called for a new stereo! Just got my new Linn Majik DSM and Tannoy DC8 system a month ago and enjoy every seconds with them:

Definitely need to tidy up the cables below the unit... Also I need to play around more with the speaker placement, as the speaker on the left is a tad further, and the artist sound like they are singing from a slightly off-centered position.

Everything is easily controlled via Ipad and PC to keep the girlfriend happy (definitely have to clean up the messy cables):

Still need to work on the decor a little bit, maybe add carpet too but it's getting there...

I replaced my trusty old 5.1 home cinema with this last month, as I wanted something more discreet. It's my first "serious" stereo, please be gentle!
smiley-smile.gif

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Looking very good. Interesting looking speaker stands, although you will probably get a bit of a kicking if those things on the bottom of the stands are castors.

Off centredness should be sorted out with balance control[do they exist any more?]/ dual volume control.

:dance:

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your comments - Unfortunately, the Tannoys don't have dedicated speaker stands, therefore I had to go with custom ones - Those are Something Solid XFs and I thought they matched the industrial look of the rest of the lounge.

I lost a bit of bass depth with those stands, but the bass are definitely tighter. I'm evaluating different cables at the moment and I think I managed to find a pair of cable that allows me to regain the missing bass.

I tried to play with the balance but still can't get it right... Whether the singer is too much on the left, whether he is too much on the right... Grrr!!! Have to play around a little bit more...

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, it means a lot to me, as a newbie! I saw yours on the same forum... Really really nice! I heard the Kefs and loved them.. I just could not extend my budget that much! :cry:

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
great set up! I love the color combination of the wood with Tannoys.

These DC8s have great finish and wonderful sound!

I am sure you will find soon some time to tidy up the cables :)

May be not a great direction to think of, soundwise, but have you considered putting the dc8s on wall through a wall mount which extends ?

Now-a-days I am into saving floor space as my (soon) new place has very less of it :(

scene

Good looking system!

Yes, the lack of matching stands for the DC8s, especially given their shape, is a shame. I've seen them on Partington Super Dreadnoughts and they looked (and sounded!) pretty good - can't remember what amp they were paired with - but I digress.

Wall mounts might be an option - but I'd say you's want something fairly rigid, bolted to a nice solid wall. Issue is, you would probably end up with the speakers too near the wall...

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Oy! You sure got great potential there! Work in progress, hehe! Looking great so far, and those Tannoy DC8 are fantastic little gems. I've auditioned them a few times as I was in the progress of getting a complete Tannoy system a while ago before I moved. Now I'm happy with my Monitor Audio Apex system though.

Hope you come up with a clever way of hiding the cables and possibly getting a solid pair of stands (don't forget to use some good isolation feet - those speakers deserve it!). Apart from a rug, have you thought of adding any room acoustic material on the back and/or side wall? I'm thinking of doing that myself for my system. There is some great stuff out there that basically look like paintings and you can hang or lean then up towards the wall.

Hope you enjoy the simplistic beauty of your system!

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
bigmoose said:
Thanks for your comments - Unfortunately, the Tannoys don't have dedicated speaker stands, therefore I had to go with custom ones - Those are Something Solid XFs and I thought they matched the industrial look of the rest of the lounge.

I lost a bit of bass depth with those stands, but the bass are definitely tighter. I'm evaluating different cables at the moment and I think I managed to find a pair of cable that allows me to regain the missing bass.

I tried to play with the balance but still can't get it right... Whether the singer is too much on the left, whether he is too much on the right... Grrr!!! Have to play around a little bit more...

Hi!

Very nice looking system, sure it will bring much joy!

On the stands, I tried briefly these at home and found them a little bass light, however the detailing and timing were spot on. I have been using some old open frame stands which have similar traits.

Enjoy!

Ambrose

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Hia! I admit, at first, I wasn't impressed by the Tannoys.. Particularly considering I auditioned them straight after the super dynamic PMC 22s. My dealer proposed that I audition them for a week with the PMC and a pair of B&W. I found myself going back to the Tannoys. They have a smooth "chocolatey" sound which really grew on me.

I haven't heard the Monitor Audios but only heard good things about them. How do they compare sound wise to the Tannoys?

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Wishtree! Nice Classe system you have!

The DC8 are quite massive... I auditioned them at the same as the B&W PM1 and they are twice the size! Also they are backported, therefore needed to be placed a bit further off the wall.

Cables are a nightmare, but I plan to screw the multi plug under the furniture, then stick all the cables on the underside of it. Hopefully, that should o the trick! :)

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
bigmoose said:
Hia! I admit, at first, I wasn't impressed by the Tannoys.. Particularly considering I auditioned them straight after the super dynamic PMC 22s. My dealer proposed that I audition them for a week with the PMC and a pair of B&W. I found myself going back to the Tannoys. They have a smooth "chocolatey" sound which really grew on me.

I haven't heard the Monitor Audios but only heard good things about them. How do they compare sound wise to the Tannoys?

Well, as good as the Apex series are they cannot fairly be compared with something like the Tannoy DC8. The latter are in a league of their own. Multichannel reproduction through the Apex, considering it's a sub/sat sytem, is stellar (I'm using 5.2), and that's the only way I ever use them (for movies AND music) - never in plain stereo.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
bigmoose said:
The DC8 are quite massive... I auditioned them at the same as the B&W PM1 and they are twice the size! Also they are backported, therefore needed to be placed a bit further off the wall.

nice system. Out of interest, how far from the rear wall do you have the speakers? I am considering the Tannoy DC8s myself, but several reviews online suggest they need to be a couple of feet away from the wall, which would be more than I could manage. How easy have you found them to position?

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
I have never listened to the Tannoy DC8,s myself, but obviously read the reviews, I still have to say that, like most of the current Tannoy range they are not aesthetically pleasing in the slightest to me. I still have to have that element as well as other normal speaker qualities before I purchase. Beautiful room and cabinet though.

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Hya!

I found the Tannoys not too fussy to place because of the concentric speakers. They're just 70cm from the walls... I found that placing them further made no difference... Maybe it's the room... Or my loss of hearing... Dunno...

Did you had the chance to audition them? They are the smoothest speakers I have heard as this price range. I hope you'll like them too! :)

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi Woodster,

Yeah, the tannoys look quite something - Esthetics is such a subjective topic. I personnally like classic/industrial look, so I find the tannoys superb. My partner find them very attractive too. The lacker finish is amazing.

I hesitated with the B&W pm1's. Loved both the sound and the look. Went for the biggest ones because of the room, but also found the sweet spot larger which is important since I move around the room a lot.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Not heard them yet no, as we haven't moved yet and I am merely planning potential updates to the system once we are in our new place. The room ill be more than twice the size and I'm pretty sure my current spendor sa1's won't cope in the new place.

Looking forward to listening to a whole range of options, including the tannoys.

I do think the DC8's look very smart tho.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts