My new KEFs :)

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Not the best-looking setup, granted, but I'm pleased with the performance of every component, especially now I've got my lovely KEF 3005SE package (18 months old, bought on eBay for £600).

Apologies also for the mediocre pictures, but you get the idea :)
DSC01589.jpg

DSC01584.jpg

A

Anonymous

Wish I could help mate - I can't even get the site to upload my Avatar !!

Nice tidy setup you have there Liam, and looks like you had a great Xmas ! Enjoy your new Kef's, though you might want to move your front L/R's further apart to benefit from them further.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
If you click on the insert/add image icon (the one next to the smiley face), and enter the url of your picture, it should work:

(Not sure if these pictures break any image-size restrictions on this site!)

A

Anonymous

THE_FORCE:

Wish I could help mate - I can't even get the site to upload my Avatar !!

Nice tidy setup you have there Liam, and looks like you had a great Xmas ! Enjoy your new Kef's, though you might want to move your front L/R's further apart to benefit from them further.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Liam19:
Not the best looking setup, granted, but I'm pleased with the performance of every component, especially now I've got my lovely KEF 3005SE package (18 months old, bought on eBay for £600).

Pictures also aren't the best, but you get the idea :)

Nice speakers - it's a shame they will not produce their best sound with the way the speakers are placed now.

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

A

Anonymous

Daveee:

Paste in your link on the top line and your pic will appear
emotion-1.gif

Cheers for the reply and help Daveee. :) I know how the attachment malarkey should work (normally I just copy and paste images like you can with the smileys on here), but I tried to post a pic on the general discussion forum a couple of days back and the attachment box wouldn't have any of it. Quite strange really, maybe it's just Google Chrome ?

Apologies for hijacking the thread Liam !

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all the help getting one of the photos up, one day I will manage it myself!

I know the speaker placement isn't ideal, but to be honest I can't think how else I can place them. Tall stands or wall mounting are pretty much out of the question (my parents living room :S), and there's nowhere for the centre to go other than where it is.

I've separated the L and R as much as I possibly can on the rack, and put a lot of Blu-tack under the centre to avoid overheating/vibrations. They sound pretty good now, I can't say I'm disappointed, but can anyone else suggest something I haven't thought of?

I'll have to upload the other, wider-angled pictures at some point, to give a better idea of the room's layout.

D

Deleted member 2457

Nice System, I think that look's really
emotion-11.gif
good work.

A

Anonymous

Liam19:

Thanks for all the help getting one of the photos up, one day I will manage it myself!

I know the speaker placement isn't ideal, but to be honest I can't think how else I can place them. Tall stands or wall mounting are pretty much out of the question (my parents living room :S), and there's nowhere for the centre to go other than where it is.

I've separated the L and R as much as I possibly can on the rack, and put a lot of Blu-tack under the centre to avoid overheating/vibrations. They sound pretty good now, I can't say I'm disappointed, but can anyone else suggest something I haven't thought of?

I'll have to upload the other, wider-angled pictures at some point, to give a better idea of the room's layout.

Get yourself a pair of these. You will probably get a better price than that with a bit of searching. Might be worth checking ebay as well.

A

Anonymous

That's what I was going to suggest Davee. Have a word with the Hifix crew and they should be able to sort you out. You won't regret having a larger soundstage by using stands and spreading them apart. Where are you rears situated ?

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
I've already seen those KEF stands, and unfortunately I just will not be able to sell my parents on them - they would put the speakers higher than the TV and I'm adamant they wouldn't be happy with them, since space is scarce.

Will hopefully be out on my own in the not-too-distant future, so I can move out the BD80, Onkyo and KEFs to a more ideal room, along with a brand-new TV :) But that's probably a way off. For now it seems I'll have to make do.

Oh, and the rear left is on a table just behind a large sofa, roughly level to the listening position. Rear right is on a windowsill next to another sofa, just a little higher up. Overall, I feel I've positioned all the speakers as best I can without making some more serious compromises.

Hopefully one day I can build my perfect system.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
I've separated the L and R a little more now, so that neither is on the rack, and each is roughly 3 feet from the centre speaker. Although less tidy looking than before, I immediately noticed a wider, more expansive and more exciting soundstage. Let's just say they won't be going back where they were any time soon!

A

Anonymous

Liam19:I've separated the L and R a little more now, so that neither is on the rack, and each is roughly 3 feet from the centre speaker. Although less tidy looking than before, I immediately noticed a wider, more expansive and more exciting soundstage. Let's just say they won't be going back where they were any time soon!

A

Anonymous

Your speakers must be much higher - you will notice the difference, and the stands suggested are perfect for your KEF's.

You think they sound good now - put them higher, recalibrate them again, and hear the difference.
Great speakers, but you are not doing them justice. Sorry, but they look rather pitiful now.

jimdonnelly

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
Nice to see a system integrated into a 'normal' living space. I do enjoy seeing the dedicated listening/viewing room systems but this one is, dare I say, a more traditional sitting room set up with corner placement. It looks great and not like a shop demo room.

Just a thought, maybe some shops should set up demo rooms with corner sets ups. More lifelike for the majority of home set ups? It would stop some people being disappointed when they change from the ideal shop set up to the compromised set up up that some us have to have at home.

Thanks for posting. Hope you enjoy.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
ValianTX:
Your speakers must be much higher - you will notice the difference, and the stands suggested are perfect for your KEF's.

You think they sound good now - put them higher, recalibrate them again, and hear the difference.
Great speakers, but you are not doing them justice. Sorry, but they look rather pitiful now.

ValianTX,

I appreciate your input, and I am fully aware that the setup isn't ideal (as I have previously stated). What you say is absolutely right, and hopefully when I get my own place I can look at creating the ideal setup. But for now, since the room isn't mine to do with what I please (I'm a 21 year-old graduate still living at home for the time being), I have to make compromises. I'd love the KEF stands, but the rest of the family would definitely consider them 'too much' in the context of an average living room.

I don't really appreciate the 'pitiful' description, though, there isn't really any need for it. You're entitled to your opinion, but some of us unfortunately don't have the luxury of creating the perfect home cinema room (as jimdonnelly recognises). I try to make the best compromises I can with an average living space and a family who aren't home cinema nuts like myself.

Liam.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Liam19:ValianTX:

ValianTX,

I appreciate your input, and I am fully aware that the setup isn't ideal (as I have previously stated). What you say is absolutely right, and hopefully when I get my own place I can look at creating the ideal setup. But for now, since the room isn't mine to do with what I please (I'm a 21 year-old graduate still living at home for the time being), I have to make compromises. I'd love the KEF stands, but the rest of the family would definitely consider them 'too much' in the context of an average living room.

I don't really appreciate the 'pitiful' description, though, there isn't really any need for it. You're entitled to your opinion, but some of us unfortunately don't have the luxury of creating the perfect home cinema room (as jimdonnelly recognises). I try to make the best compromises I can with an average living space and a family who aren't home cinema nuts like myself.

Liam.

Very eloquently put, hear hear.

PS Nice setup as it is, you should be happy :)

A

Anonymous

Liam19:ValianTX:

ValianTX,

Liam.

I didn't say anything about creating the 'perfect home cinema room'. All I meant was the speakers should be on stands.

Granted, you have recognised that and due to your present circumstances, you are unable to incorporate those changes.

I did not mean to offend you but if I did, I apologise.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
I just bit yet another expensive bullet and ordered a Denon AVR-1910 . Yet more money I don't have, but I just felt the speakers deserved a more worthy amp! Hopefully it'll pay off, I've nary read a negative word about this amp!

A

Anonymous

can you post when you receive your new amp as i have a onkyo 606 at the moment buy i am thinking of getting a denon 1910,what sound differance there is ,thanks.

TRENDING THREADS