My new KEFs :)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Liam19:
I just bit yet another expensive bullet and ordered a Denon AVR-1910 . Yet more money I don't have, but I just felt the speakers deserved a more worthy amp! Hopefully it'll pay off, I've nary read a negative word about this amp!

Addict ! ;)

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
simoncar:can you post when you receive your new amp as i have a onkyo 606 at the moment buy i am thinking of getting a denon 1910,what sound differance there is ,thanks.

I will indeed.

I'm hoping it will make a palpable difference to my system, considering I'm using an outdated Onkyo HT-R518 amp, which is basically a 5.1 version of the old TX-SR506 (which neither decodes HD audio nor accepts it as LPCM over HDMI). And so the only way I've been getting uncompressed audio til now is by decoding onboard my Panny BD80 and sending over analogue. The sound is of a high standard already, but I'm fairly comfortable than I can do better.

Can't wait to get bitstreaming!

A

Anonymous

Yes, the sound is better processed by the amp than the blu-ray player.

A

Anonymous

ear:
Garland Genoho:Yes, the sound is better processed by the amp than the blu-ray player.

Is that true?

Yes, bitstream sounds much better to me than LPCM. What Hi-Fi did a test on this sometima ago and also arrived at the same conclusion.

It makes sense - the amp is built for sound while the blu-ray player is built for pictures.

GoogleSearchIconShadow.gif
SuperSearchIconShadow.gif

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Just got my 1910 yesterday, but working every day til Friday so have had little time to alter things or do much testing. The little setup I have done, though, has ranged from being a doddle, to being complete hell on earth!

But first impressions are good, lovely looking machine, glossier than I expected, and there's no wiping the smile off my face when the little 'HD Audio' sign lights up!

Will post pictures and provide a proper review as and when I can.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Some new photos (again not the best, and also smaller, since I think the first batch may have been a little too big for the moderator's liking).

4331854263_9bfe364881.jpg

4332584706_f509a7f956.jpg

4332590880_3c8cf5b6c9.jpg

My thoughts on the Denon AVR-1910 to follow, once I've had more time to put it through its paces!

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
simoncar:Have you noticed a improvement in picture quility.

Well the only video processing my 1910 does so far is upscale Sky+HD to 1080p - although it seems a bit pointless (and even probably counter-productive) since my Panny plasma is only HD Ready, I still think it makes for an ever so slightly sharper picture. Of course, with a Full HD display, any benefits will probably be more obvious.

Upscaling for all other sources is turned off.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Switched the Denon's bundled mains cable today for the Clearer Audio Copper-line Alpha hooked up to my BD player. Instantly noticed a clearer, gutsier and more powerful sound
emotion-1.gif
. Only thing is, now the Blu-ray picture has definitely suffered a bit from going back to its own original cheapo cable!

Solution? Just ordered a Chord Superscreen for £54 (best price I could find), which I intend to hook up the Denon, and then return the Alpha to Blu-ray duties. But, of course, I will do some comparisons first, to see where it does its work best!

I just keep on pouring money into this system (no end in sight!), but I am very pleased with the results!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts