my new Audio Technica at33-ptg/ii

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Heard a friends AT33 PTG II on a Garrard 401....... very very nice sounding cart!

Just got an Aria phono stage - AT33 PTG II on order

I might need some help with dip settings on the Aria - I havent got a clue tbh.

stevebrock said:
Heard a friends AT33 PTG II on a Garrard 401....... very very nice sounding cart!

Just got an Aria phono stage - AT33 PTG II on order

I might need some help with dip settings on the Aria - I havent got a clue tbh.

It should come with a manual or one should be able online if second-hand.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I know its a case of matching up the settings I just want to understand the effect each setting has on loading capicatance etc etc !

Should be here in a few days !

stevebrock said:
Yeah I know its a case of matching up the settings I just want to understand the effect each setting has on loading capicatance etc etc !

Should be here in a few days !

With the AT33 I would start off with the same configuration as Rega recommend for the Apheta cartridge as seen in the manual.

Load resistance is a figure you can play with to fine tune to your preference. The recommended figure of 100ohm or greater means you have three choices. I have left mine on exactly 100ohm for my AT33.

There's a good thread here:-

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/audio-technica-at33ptg-ii-loading-impedance.368731/

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Got the AT 33 fitted this morning - been spinning vinyl all day - it's lovely.

I have been playing with the loading 100 ohms then 150 ohms, currently got it on 70 ohms through the Aria phono stage. Top end a bit recessed on 150 ohms but need to give it some time before I settle.

Have the gain on low at 63.5 Db as opposed to 69.3 Db

What should I have the capacitance at ? How should I match it to the cart ?

stevebrock said:
Got the AT 33 fitted this morning - been spinning vinyl all day - it's lovely.

I have been playing with the loading 100 ohms then 150 ohms, currently got it on 70 ohms through the Aria phono stage. Top end a bit recessed on 150 ohms but need to give it some time before I settle.

Have the gain on low at 63.5 Db as opposed to 69.3 Db

What should I have the capacitance at ? How should I match it to the cart ?

Try 100pf as a minimum, this can be played with as well

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Loading : 400 ohms

Capacitance : 2000pf

Gain : 63.5db

All sounds very good to me especially on vocals

Will keep experimenting & taking notes

Its a lovely sounding cartridge - quite remarkable really compared to the Nag 500

D

Deleted member 108165

stevebrock said:
Loading : 400 ohms

Capacitance : 2000pf

Gain : 63.5db

All sounds very good to me especially on vocals

Will keep experimenting & taking notes

Its a lovely sounding cartridge - quite remarkable really compared to the Nag 500

Sitting here avidly following this evolving thread and wondering when the Nagaoka comparison would raise its head *biggrin* With the Phono Box DS now returned and leaning towards a Dino/Aria/Microgroove or an SUT as a possible way forward this is becoming very interesting. C'mon Steve how much better does the AT MC sound over the MP500?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
It is very hard to put the AT33 over the Nagaoka MP500 both have their fortes - it really is a case over what you prefer - I know that doesnt help.

The Nagaoka is a warmer cartridge for definite which is not a bad thing - however the treble does slightly roll off but there is plenty of detail there.

The AT packs a mighty punch and the detail is really forward, I find the imaging a lot better on the AT with every nuance of the recording presented to me. However we are comparing 2 carts through 2 different paths of the Aria. The MC stage is very tweakable which throws up a pleothora of settings to tune the presentation on the AT

I dont want to do a diservice to the Nagaoka because its an amazing MM cart and I could quite easily live with it but the AT just pips it with the option of tuning the sounds to your ears.

With me suffering with Tinnitus I am finding the AT more enjoyable at the minute.

Hope this helps

D

Deleted member 108165

Thanks Steve, much appreciated, as always. The AT is at a good price-point for entry into MC territory with the added bonus that the prices are reasonable for the UK market.

Now that I have discovered my Marantz internal stage is really rather good I am leaning more towards the SUT route at the moment.

Was sorry to hear about your tinnitus, I don't think mine is as severe as yours as I have learnt to live with it, but I have found that headphone use does make it far more pronounced.

DougK said:
Thanks Steve, much appreciated, as always. The AT is at a good price-point for entry into MC territory with the added bonus that the prices are reasonable for the UK market.

Now that I have discovered my Marantz internal stage is really rather good I am leaning more towards the SUT route at the moment.

Was sorry to hear about your tinnitus, I don't think mine is as severe as yours as I have learnt to live with it, but I have found that headphone use does make it far more pronounced.

Be aware that good SUTs are quite often more expensive than a suitable phono preamp. ;-)

Other benefits of a moving magnet are you can change the stylus when it breaks or wears out and you, with some amps, don't need to go to the expense of a separate phono preamp.

Having said that the AT33, in any of it's guises, is a quality product for the money.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Thought I would resurrect this thread !

today my mate popped round and asked me to fit a Nag 200 to his RP6 - duly fitted and listened too through my Primare gear - still gobsmacked how the Nags sound.

However something funny happened - on the back of the Primare phono I have settings for the loading ranging from 10 to 500 ohms - for some reason I had set the loading at 10 ohms when in fact the AT33 should be loaded at 100ohms - oops I've it set like this since new - always sounded great but now I have it loaded at 100 ohms it's like night & day everything thing seems more precise - so much better.........

small things eh

stevebrock said:
Thought I would resurrect this thread !

today my mate popped round and asked me to fit a Nag 200 to his RP6 - duly fitted and listened too through my Primare gear - still gobsmacked how the Nags sound.

However something funny happened - on the back of the Primare phono I have settings for the loading ranging from 10 to 500 ohms - for some reason I had set the loading at 10 ohms when in fact the AT33 should be loaded at 100ohms - oops I've it set like this since new - always sounded great but now I have it loaded at 100 ohms it's like night & day everything thing seems more precise - so much better.........

small things eh

Small things indeed, although don't be afraid to play with those settings, they are just recommendations. ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts