my new and first system??

A

Anonymous

This is the third time ive had to write this post this sorry my question wasnt on the first actuall post. please reply to this reply????

I recently just purchased a system off ebay its an eltax 5.1 including 2x liberty 5+,2xsilverstone rear's,1xcentre.

I also purchased a sony amp reciever str-de 495, i then wired them all up with cable i also purchased off ebay. and connected the reciever to my 43inch samsung plasma via optical audio cable.

Then for the big moment, i turn everything on and its really quiet and when it gets halfway up through the volume it just cuts out and the reciever says PROTECT.

I also know its not the reciever because the guys in the store tested before i brought it and it sounded great through 2x standard speakers with normal black and red cable

Could this be the speaker cable?? what kind do i need?? why is it cutting out?? thanks and any replies to this would be much appreichated thanks, michael

A

Anonymous

yeah the wiring is fine all new cable perfectly cut and pushed all the way into the plugs.

its quite thin wire though id say 30 strands

A

Anonymous

sorry i just counted the strands and its only 13 strands per + and - so 26 in both parts of cable

is this a good amount? can crap cable make it trip out?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
13 strands sounds very, very thin. If the cables are long enough, then the excessive resistance could well cause the amp to trip out.

A

Anonymous

there is no excess cable there cut to fit perfect.

could 13 strand cable be the cause of the trip out?

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Thin speaker cable you find on eBay is prone to issues. Take a look on the likes of Amazon for something a little more substantial. I'm not talking The Chord Company, but something you can trust. Van Damme is a fine cable, and the 2x2.5mm version is going for £2.60/metre at the moment, and there are cheaper alternatives too.

Even if the cables are not to blame for the fault, you'd still benefit from an inexpensive cable upgrade in terms of sound quality.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
It is unlikely that the cables themselves are the issue. It is more likely to be the connectivity or a component short.

Try one speaker connected at a time to check all speakers first.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Overdose said:
It is unlikely that the cables themselves are the issue. It is more likely to be the connectivity or a component short.

Try one speaker connected at a time to check all speakers first.

I don't wish to appear ignorant, but wouldn't the protection circuitry kick in automatically if there was a short regardless of volume level?

Edit: According to the Sony user manual the "Protect" circuit kicks in when there is a short. Just seems odd to my mind that it seems volume dependent in this case but I'm always willing to learn.

A

Anonymous

what exactly is a short and how do i look for it? sorry if this is a stupid question im a newbie

A

Anonymous

what exactly is a short and how do i look for it? sorry if this is a stupid question im a newbie

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
A short is basically a 'shortcut' that allows electricity flow such as to avoid a load (resistance). As in many things, electricity will always take the path of least resistance.

What you need to do is find the source of the problem before you can deal with it. It sounds like your amplifier is having a hard time of things and checking out the speakers in this manner will help isolate the fault. If all speakers are ok and the wiring and connectivity are sound, then there is a problem within your amplifier.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
A short is when the + speakerwire wire touchs the - speaker wire I would disconnect all speakers and the anp an reconnect one speaker at a time making sure that the wires do not touch each otherand test each time you add a speaker good luck:) :)

A

Anonymous

i tried all of these so it must be the amp thanks for your time guys

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts