my mate needs new amp and speakers,QUICKLY

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
heard from my longest standing friend that his amp and speakers have both died,bad for a lot of people but terrible for him as he is one of the most music obsessed people I know,3000+ on vinyl and 1000+ cd's.
remaining kit is
Nad cd player
Linn Basik turntable.

budget £1000 max .

suggestions please.

Karl

A

Anonymous

What about AVI ADM9?

An amp and speaker in one, and also includes a DAC to upgrade the NAD CDP at the same time!

A

Anonymous

Arcam of some sort and some Linn Kann's I think.
he's had the speakers for over 20 years and they were s/h then.
amps probably nearly as old.
plays most types of music apart from classical.

John Duncan

Hm. It's a tricky price point for the pair, but the Dali Lektor 2s look so good for 280 quid that you could get them and a stonking amp - I think the Kandy K2 has a phono stage, for example, but I might even look for a Marantz PM7001KI, which you can get for as little as about 300 s/h - that opens up a whole new world of speakers around the 700 quid mark.......

John Duncan

Or there's always this, obviously (plus a Cambridge 640p). After that, he can get whatever he likes
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Or there's always this, obviously (plus a Cambridge 640p). After that, he can get whatever he likes
emotion-2.gif

couldn't agree more in theory as you can see from my sig.how good is the 121?

John Duncan

Well I have the A20, and it's great (for a £315 amp!
emotion-2.gif
) - the i21 seemed a bit more of the same when I heard it, and if you can get it for 400 (in the next 14 minutes), it'll beat anything new you can get for that......

A

Anonymous

One of these:
Quad 405 Net Audio Mk3 power amp

One of these:
Rotel RC-06 pre-amp

A pair of these:
Rogers Studio 9 floor standers

...or...

a pair of these:
home built pair of Rogers LS6 which are probably a steal at the likely very low price

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Arcam A32 on fleabay new for £699, and a pair of second hand ProAcs also on fleabay for £400 ish. OK that;s £100 over but heh!

ÿ

A

Anonymous

What kind of amp would be required to drive one of those 15ohm Rogers speakers?

A

Anonymous

Well the amp is voltage rather than current driven, so to speak, and will want an amp that can produce decent voltage power levels. The BBC used Quad 405s. Other than that, not sure.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts