If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!
My Hifi and Home Cinema Set Up
Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I am not based in KL, instead in Seremban and attached to a company here. Miri huh, from what I read through fella local hifi enthusiats the houses in Miri / Kuching have bigger rooms. Can tell from your picture though
I always hope I have bigger space to enjoy my home theater...
Hi El Hefe, can't believe I missed this thread. The MF kit in particular looks fantastic, I so wish they kept that range going at at the more accessible prices than they have now. How hot do they get as I remember us talking about the heat when you we deciding on the X-CAN?
idc:Hi El Hefe, can't believe I missed this thread. The MF kit in particular looks fantastic, I so wish they kept that range going at at the more accessible prices than they have now. How hot do they get as I remember us talking about the heat when you we deciding on the X-CAN?
My kit is quite an old kit compared to the others on this thread. My MF, Yamaha AV and MD player, although at their time, were 5 star kit, it has already approached 10 years now since I purchased them. So not as exciting as some other people's kit. Nevertheless, I am very happy with my system and have no plans to change them. My upgrades nowadays are based around the MF amps, hence only changed my CDP and speakers last year. And of course, leaped into BluRay, hence purchased the LED TV. Have yet to change my Yamaha because I still have not set up my dream dedicated AV room. Thats my project this year.
The X-CAN is OK. Not hot at all. Just warm. As you can see from my rack, it has a lot of 'head room' for ventilation eventhough I placed it on the Rega. Was planning to put it on top of the rack but it looks a little bit odd being on its own hehehe.
I have been quiet for the past few months. Actually since April, I was in the process of moving back from Miri (East Malaysia in Borneo Island) to Kuala Lumpur. So I have been busy re-setting up my hifi. I now have a dedicated room for music and jamming session. Hence, this room is where I set up my music hifi and my drums and guitar. My AV set up, I have left it in the family room downstairs.
And of course, its time of the year again today where the Kuala Lumpur International AV show is held. Hence, upgraded the following:
1. Alessandro-Grado Headphone. RRP here was about 570 quid. Got it for 480 quid. Bought this because I am so ****** off with the Dr. Dre Solo purchase. You can read about my complaint in Headphones thread. Basically upgraded from Bose Over the Ear which is now used for my drums set.
2. PPK Govibe Mini headphone amp for office use.
3. QED Silver XT biamp speaker cable. Upgrading (?) from Ixos 604.
4. QED Signature Interconnect. Upgraded this from QED Audionote 2. The Audionote 2 is now used between XA1 and XCANV3.
5. QED Reference Optical cable. Upgraded from freebie cable.
6. VDH HDMI Flat. Upgraded (?) from Monster Cable.
7. QED Reference Subwoofer cable. Upgraded from Cambridge Audio.
8. Various BD movies at about 10 quid each.
Oh also a few months back, I purchased a 2nd hand TEAC Tape deck for all my old music. Superb.
Will comment on the upgrade performace after I have run in the cables.
thanks for your kind words. i got even luckier today. went again to the av show on its last day and upgraded my CDP and headphones amp, got a bargain (i think its a bargain). purchased the MF X-Ray V3 to replace my rega apollo and the MF X-CAN V3 to replace the V2. got both brand new for 1000 quid. the RRP here in Malaysia is 1300 quid. will put up pics.
After running the system for a week now, here are my comments:
1. First I changed the speaker cable from Ixos to QED Silver Anniversary. Run in for 2 hours. My system now sounds a bit too heavy on bass.
2. Second, I changed the interconnects from QED Audionote to Signature Series. Run in for another 2 hours. The bassy sound is gone and the tone is more balanced. Warmth is at a different level. And the music feels airy.
3. As for the Alessandro headphones, run it for 4 hours through the headphone amp MF X-CAN V2. Very spacious sound compared to Bose.
This was on Saturday evening. So I let the system to run in till Sunday morning. On Sunday morning the sound is more luscious than ever. But curiosity on what else can be improved got over me. So on Sunday evening, went to the AV show again and bought the CD player MF X-ray V3 and Headphone amp X-CAN V3.
Was contemplating between X-ray and the new M3 CD player. The price different is about 200 quid. Finally decided on the X-Ray because I wanted the X-CANV3 as well.
Hooked up the X-Ray and X-Can and run in for 2 hours. Aaaaaahhhhh what a bliss. With MF CD player as the source, sound is more detailed. Let it run in till Monday morning and throughout the day as well since I am in the office. After a week, I am very satisfied with quality of sound coming out of the system. Can a change in amplifier make more difference? Shall wait for next year's exhibition.
Sent my XA50 monoblock for repairs. Speakers are now just run by the XA1. Immediate made the set up to be on the bright side. Treble was dominating the sound. Hence, purchased the X10 V3 and XPSU V3 yesterday. After 24 hours of running in, the sound has improved but have yet to achieve the sound when I bi-amped the speakers with XA-50s. The tube buffer does give a warmer sound and the system has gained bass authority as well.