My First Hi-Fi System

Lunecz

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi everybody,

I'm a complete novice when it comes to all of this. But I am a massive music lover and musician with a good ear for sound and after hearing music on people's hi-fi's and going back to my computer speakers, I just feel really dissapointed when listening to them.

I've been doing some basic research and wondered if you guys could help me out with putting together a budget system.

I listen to a wide variety of music and I know people get annoyed at newbies always wanting loads of bass. But I guess I would feel a little dissapointed if I spent a decent amount of my wages on a system and I couldn't get much bass from it. But obviously I don't want it to compromise the overall sound.

I was thinking...

Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 121

Amp: Teac A-R630 Stereo Amplifier

Turntable: Pro-Ject Essential II

Cables: AudioQuest FLX-SLiP 14/4 Bi-Wire

Feel free to school me or call me a fool or whatever haha. As I say, I am awful with technology. I was told the speaker cables were very important and that my current cheapest I could find turntable was ruining my records so that's why I'm putting them on there as well and just the amp/speaker combination. I chose the amp and speakers just because everyone seemed to think they were good value for money.

Do you think, with those speakers, it's necessary to purchase a sub-woofer at some point as well. I saw the Wharfedale also have one in the same product range.

Thanks for the help guys, I will appreciate any replies :)

x

Lunecz

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, forgot to say...

I'll be playing mp3s from my mac mainly. But they will all be good quality.

And I'll be playing records.

Thanks!

x

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I expect you will get a few we-l informed suggestions. Mine are - Save on the biwire & buy simple ofc. You may do better than the TEAC. You may find bundles to include these and other speakers. Listen to a few combinations at your dealers. Many will suggest u dont need a sub for music though I prefer mine using a ht receiver rather than a hifi amp. Good advice will follow ...

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
First of all, what sort of a budget do you have in mind? What types of music do you listen to, and how big is the room where the system will be located?

Initial ideas for the amplifier would be:

-Marantz PM6005 (in-built DAC and phono stage but no USB input)

-Rotel RA10 (has a great phono stage but if playing music from a Mac you would ideally need a seperate DAC)

-NAD D3020 (no phono stage but in-built DAC and USB input)

The Wharfedales are good speakers, also listen to the Q Acoustics 2020i and maybe Dali Zensor 3's if the budget stretches.

You can't go wrong with a Project Debut or budget Rega turntable.

Happy hunting! (and as for cables - don't spend a fortune; look at Fisual interconnects and Van Damme blue speaker cable on Amazon)

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, there are a few things I would mention. I disagree that speaker cables are that important. I've tried various cables up to about £12- £15 per metre and have gone back to thick copper cables which are much cheaper - these seem to be the best. Compared to the other components the cables are least important IMO especially in a budget system. Just get some thick copper ones and your'll be fine.

By the way you don't mention your budget?

I think the 121 speakers should be fine but I would change the amplifier to any of the budget champs - Marantz PM6005, Pioneer A30, Denon PMA 720AE, NAD C326BEE etc.

I would also add some decent speaker stands- very important.

If your using the old MP3 files think about re-ripping them or copying them to a higher spec format. FLAC, WAV etc Your never get the best out of your system if the source music is poor quality.

No idea about turntables but a Project or Rega should do the job fine.

Lastly think about room placement and I would forget the sub idea and just get better speakers. Integration between the sub and the speakers can be difficult unless you know what you are doing.

Lunecz

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

Thank you for the replies. This seems like a very friendly forum.

My budget would be around £500. I really don't think I could afford any more.

I'll listen to those speakers you reccomended. Can I just head into Richer Sounds and ask to listen to them?

I listen to a variety of music. A lot of Hip-Hop. Jazz, Soul, Funk. Also a lot of electronic music from labels like Warp Records. Post-Punk/New Wave. Post-Rock. Doom Metal. I will make sure that the files are of good quality, thanks for the advice.

I will be placing it in a double bedroom. Probably about 12'x12'.

Joe

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Pop into Richer Sounds, advise them of your budget and see what they suggest. They do some good package deals, and there is some great budget kit around at the minute. Just remember to take along some of your favourite songs and trust your ears, not what a salesman tells you!

LDTM

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
A huge generalisation perhaps but when I first started playing this game most of my digital files were MP3 too. Of the systems I listened to I found myself preferring soft dome tweeters. I can say the Zensor 3s sound nice but the wharfdales you mention would be interesting too.

Mirroring other members, take along some of your favourite music but within that mix make sure you include some songs you know to be recorded well and others you know to be...not so much.

My primary kit makes good recordings sing but is hugely unforgiving, I love the band The Darkness but have to listen to it on my Lektor kit as everythng is laid bare on the GS20s...

Others may disagree with my choice in kit but I think it will be beneficial if you test a range of music and a range of quality.

Cheers,

LDTM

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts