My demo experience on Cyrus, Primare I30 and Caspian left me undecided

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I recently compared the two Cyrus versions Cryus Pre8XPD was powered with X Power against the integrated 8XPD and to me the sound of integrated was not as big and controlled as the Pre-Power combo, specially the control of Bass on integrated 8 xpd was terrible boxy and not tight and punchy, my assumption was both are 70watts amp so why the pre-power sound better then the integrated? has anyone else experienced the same?

I compared these with Primare I30 and Roksan Caspian (M1 with mono blocks) as well , to me the sound of Cyrus Pre/Power was better then both, next was I30 and Caspian came last in my opinion, no offense to I30 and Roksan owners I know I30 is very respectable, but the detail and insight into music which Cyrus present is awesome and both I30 and Roksan failed to achieve these.

I also must say the sound of Roksan and Primare is not far off just little short on details and insight, on the other hand the soundstage on Cryus is not big compared to I30 and Caspian , I am wondering if there is an amp in between which can present the details of Cyrus and Power of I30 or Caspian.

I also need advice if the DacMagic is better then DAC in Cyrus 8xpd Qx, I am also thinking if a combo of Pre8vs2, with 8 Power and DacMagic will sound better and save me half the cost of PreXPD Qx, X Power and PSX.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I think that sums up my experience of Cyrus and Roksan gear, you love one but not the other but never both, personally I find the Cyrus too up front (a bit like a white knuckle ride, if you like) maybe just too much detail or just the way the Cyrus portrays that detail. Whatever you opinion of Cyrus it tends to be a sound you tend not to forget.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
mitch65:I think that sums up my experience of Cyrus and Roksan gear, you love one but not the other but never both, personally I find the Cyrus too up front (a bit like a white knuckle ride, if you like) maybe just too much detail or just the way the Cyrus portrays that detail. Whatever you opinion of Cyrus it tends to be a sound you tend not to forget.

I agree - listening to the Cyrus was like a sonic battering for me - much too forward for my tastes.

A

Anonymous

Of course the pre power is going to sound better than the integrated Cyrus. It is not just about power.

The Q module in the Cyrus amps is better than the excellent value money DAC Magic apparently.

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
I've recently moved through Cyrus 8vs2 to... 8vs2 + Cyrus XPower (biamp) to ... now Cyrus PreXPd into Xpower.

There is a substantial improvement in the pre-amp from the 8vs2 to the PreXPd (direct comparison trialed using the 8vs2 Preamp out only into the XPower) - even the Finanacial Controller could hear the difference! My point is... the Preamp in the 8XP series will likely be better than that in the 8vs2 / Prevs2.

The DAC in the PreXPd is not too bad at all (marginally better than the DACmagic IMHO - though admit to potential bias!), but not up to the Qx module - which is planned but am waiting for the HiFi funds to reaccumulate after the recent Audiovector speaker upgrade! I would say the DAC in the PreXPd is similar in quality to the DAC in the CD 6SE (when directly compared using optical out). Apparently the Qx module DAC is better than the DAC in the CD 8SE but not quite up to the DACXP (although I wonder how much this is hype to justify the huge price difference....)

Speakers make a huge difference (obviously). With Cyrus gear, you have to be very, very careful. Cyrus tends to be very detailed and "analytical" (which I like) so many like it into Spendor speakers for example (which are otherwise somewhat conservative...).

Just my 2 cents...

A

Anonymous

It comes down to control for the power. If you separate the power amp, you can find it has dedicated powers supply essential for amplification. If your friend has mono blocked his amps, ask him to bi amp them - I reckon it would sound even better, as it will drive the high and low frequencies independently (assuming speakers are bi wireable)

SteveR750

I was under the impression that the heirarchy of sonic imporovement went *** this:

Integrated

Integrated + power amp (bi-amp)

Pre + Power

Pre + Power + Power (bi amp)

Pre + POwer + Power (bridged or mono blocs)

Pre + Power + Power + Power + Power (mono / biamped)

I'm not so sure about the positions 2 and 3, I listened to 1, 2 and 5 when I demoed the Cyrus 8XP amp, the biggest jump was 2 -> 5

A

Anonymous

Hi SteveR750, there isn't a hard rule for progress, its more defined by the amps and what you like. It also depends upon the crossovers in the speakers.

My particular preference is bi-amping, using my pre amp and 2 stereo amps giving me 4 channels of amplification.

A

Anonymous

What speakers were you using for the comparison? Remember there are always combos that complement each other best (and the opposite).

That said, I've never been a fan of Cyrus. I like some aspects of the Primare sound but it can be a bit boring. Never heard Roksan.

My amp suggestions: go demo the NAD 375BEE, Harman Kardon HK990, and make sure you hear the Naim XS, too. It can do things the others don't try, and maybe this will dissolve the hi-fi details vs stereo imaging debate for you.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Coys:

What speakers were you using for the comparison? Remember there are always combos that complement each other best (and the opposite).

That said, I've never been a fan of Cyrus. I like some aspects of the Primare sound but it can be a bit boring. Never heard Roksan.

My amp suggestions: go demo the NAD 375BEE, Harman Kardon HK990, and make sure you hear the Naim XS, too. It can do things the others don't try, and maybe this will dissolve the hi-fi details vs stereo imaging debate for you.

Primare aren't necessarily boring - it depends what you connect them up to! I listened to a range of speakers yesterday and can safely vouch for that. Speakers are (arguably) the final touch in the chain; they can and will determine the overall sound you respond to. Listening to Primare CD31 and I30 with a combination of speaker brands evoked emotions ranging from 'frustrated boredom' through to 'excitement'.

A

Anonymous

A slight swerve from the OP, what did you listen to ESP2009?

EDIT Scrub that, I just saw your other post. Thought is was about your reading hobby so didn't read it lol

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
igglebert:A slight swerve from the OP, what did you listen to ESP2009? EDIT Scrub that, I just saw your other post. Thought is was about your reading hobby so didn't read it lol

emotion-2.gif
Sorry, it's the result of being a 'Grammar Grub' and also a terrible compulsion to be 'clever'. I am getting therapy...honest. Anyway, report to follow.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts