MusicCast Compatibility and All in One systems

thepointmisser

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi I've been contemplating an all in one 'music system' to replace old separates... I still play CD's (mostly) and will probably increase my purchasing of these. I do not stream from Spotify or subscribe to any of these, but enjoy Internet radio. I ALSO need to physically downsize the equipment, but be able to stream to another room..

I thought about the DENON DM40DAB but its not wireless -so needs to be where my internet arrives into the house ( i may decide that this is something to accept if other solutions are not better) .

The Yamaha CRXN470D was going to be my choice UNTIL i read that you can ONLY use Music Cast speakers, so that means i CANNOT stream to a Cambridge YOYO or Sonos in another room (??). Or at least i MIGHT be able to but not without problems as i read elsewhwere that others have had.

Can the Denon stream to ANY wireless speaker where the Yamaha cannot? Is there an option for me to use my existing Cambridge CD AND connect it to an internet radio which can stream to ANY brand of speaker?

There are too many crossovers.!!!

insider9

What you're trying to achieve is difficult at best. Some devices will be able to share local content via DLNA/Bluetooth/Airplay.

As a rule of thumb for multiroom it's best to stick to same make. As that's about the only way to guarantee that the devices will talk to one another even after future updates.

jjbomber

thepointmisser said:
I thought about the DENON DM40DAB but its not wireless -so needs to be where my internet arrives into the house ( i may decide that this is something to accept if other solutions are not better) .

Mains Ethernet Extenders. The Denon can be just about anywhere.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
thepointmisser said:
The Yamaha CRXN470D was going to be my choice UNTIL i read that you can ONLY use Music Cast speakers, so that means i CANNOT stream to a Cambridge YOYO or Sonos in another room (??). Or at least i MIGHT be able to but not without problems as i read elsewhwere that others have had.

Where did you read that? I thought all Musiccast sources, as well as streaming to Musiccast speakers, could also transmit over Bluetooth. In fact the Yamaha website says as much:

Bluetooth Output for Convenient Music Streaming
E186DC0A2DC14118AA4A9566C71AD0A6_12074_740x197_ccc470f413061d2c506f12d97bc9c90e.jpg

The MCR-N470D is equipped with the latest Bluetooth technology, making wireless operation more convenient than ever. You can stream music from the MCR-N470D to Bluetooth headphones for private listening or to Bluetooth speakers.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Will you always be using a wireless conection to your speakers, or do you envisage having both a wired connection to nearby speakers and a set of wireless speakers in aother room?

thepointmisser

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Well i went to RIcher Sounds and the Yamaha (with q acoustics 3020's) was poor. Really struggled with bass, and the mid was sharp but compressed sounding . I'm not an esxpert but it wasn't in the same league as a near 20yr old Kenwood Amp and Cambridge CD and B&W 601's. Daft Punk was terrible. No low end at all.. Acoustic stuff was OK.

I read on another forum of a guy struggling to get NON MusicCast speakers to work in conjunction with the Yamaha. So although any bluetooth should work in theory, it mightn't in the real world. (or at least i cant take the risk that this is correct)..

The guy in the store put on a Denon CEOL (never heard of it) and it was signicantly better sounding than the Yamaha, or at least didnt struggle.

I might be rethinking my options. Maybe stick with my separates and buy an internet radio to standalone.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I'm fairly sure the Sonos connect amp with it's line in will stream around then house from your cd player, as well as driving a set of wired speakers.You would need to add speakers in other rooms but it is an option.

The Raumfeld connector does the same thing but is not an amp,it's an add on to a system where the sonos can act as your amp also

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
thepointmisser said:
Well i went to RIcher Sounds and the Yamaha (with q acoustics 3020's) was poor. Really struggled with bass, and the mid was sharp but compressed sounding . I'm not an esxpert but it wasn't in the same league as a near 20yr old Kenwood Amp and Cambridge CD and B&W 601's. Daft Punk was terrible. No low end at all.. Acoustic stuff was OK.

I read on another forum of a guy struggling to get NON MusicCast speakers to work in conjunction with the Yamaha. So although any bluetooth should work in theory, it mightn't in the real world. (or at least i cant take the risk that this is correct)..

The guy in the store put on a Denon CEOL (never heard of it) and it was signicantly better sounding than the Yamaha, or at least didnt struggle.

I might be rethinking my options. Maybe stick with my separates and buy an internet radio to standalone.

Reading this, and even though I mentioned Sonos earlier, I would say yamaha is your easiest route, but just maybe not this particular Yamaha.

Have you looked at something like this

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/wireless_streaming_amplifiers/wxa-50_u/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts