Musical Fidelity V-Dac

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

That was a general you, not a specific you idc.
emotion-1.gif
It gets warmer than the fono mini adapter, but not as warm as the Airport Express if that helps. It's intended, as they all are, to be left on.ÿ

matthewpiano

I would just further echo Tarquinh's comments on the V-Dac. Its absolutely superb. Soundstaging has taken a real step forward and there is a much clearer sense of the tonal qualities of different instruments. I even get a very good sense of the differences between different pianos.

Its not a DAC for head bangers. It has plenty of pace and attack but it combines that with quite startling levels of poise and a massive dynamic range. When listening to orchestral works you really get the contrasts between the quiet tremolando strings and the orchestra in full flight. With something more popular like the latest Cat Stevens (Yusuf) album there is an intimacy and sense of air in the sound that I've really missed before.

The next couple of days should be interesting. I've been loaned a pair of B&W 685s by somone who is determined to change my opinion of them, so there is lots of listening ahead and probably a fairly detailed report to write on my findings!! I'll let you know how I get on.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:I would just further echo Tarquinh's comments on the V-Dac. Its absolutely superb. Soundstaging has taken a real step forward and there is a much clearer sense of the tonal qualities of different instruments. I even get a very good sense of the differences between different pianos. Its not a DAC for head bangers. It has plenty of pace and attack but it combines that with quite startling levels of poise and a massive dynamic range. When listening to orchestral works you really get the contrasts between the quiet tremolando strings and the orchestra in full flight. With something more popular like the latest Cat Stevens (Yusuf) album there is an intimacy and sense of air in the sound that I've really missed before.The next couple of days should be interesting. I've been loaned a pair of B&W 685s by somone who is determined to change my opinion of them, so there is lots of listening ahead and probably a fairly detailed report to write on my findings!! I'll let you know how I get on.

Well blow me, matthewpiano
emotion-1.gif
I though I was the only person who listened to that CD. Perfect example of what the v-dac can do with a good production.

matthewpiano

Tarquinh:
matthewpiano:I would just further echo Tarquinh's comments on the V-Dac. Its absolutely superb. Soundstaging has taken a real step forward and there is a much clearer sense of the tonal qualities of different instruments. I even get a very good sense of the differences between different pianos. Its not a DAC for head bangers. It has plenty of pace and attack but it combines that with quite startling levels of poise and a massive dynamic range. When listening to orchestral works you really get the contrasts between the quiet tremolando strings and the orchestra in full flight. With something more popular like the latest Cat Stevens (Yusuf) album there is an intimacy and sense of air in the sound that I've really missed before.The next couple of days should be interesting. I've been loaned a pair of B&W 685s by somone who is determined to change my opinion of them, so there is lots of listening ahead and probably a fairly detailed report to write on my findings!! I'll let you know how I get on.

Well blow me, matthewpiano
emotion-1.gif
I though I was the only person who listened to that CD. Perfect example of what the v-dac can do with a good production.

LOL! I'm a big fan of Cat Stevens/Yusuf. There is an honesty and sense of communication to his music that is surprisingly rare. I think the new album is a bit on the short side but I like it very much - some really good songwriting on it and much of what I love about the classic albums like '...Tillerman' and 'Teaser...'. Glad somebody else listens to him!!

A

Anonymous

i couldn't agree more with the most favourable replies. The VDAC is an incredible piece of kit. I owned a C Audio Dac Magic some time ago, and thought it didn't rival my Arcam CD192. Last week I bought the VDAc, and i'm afraid the CD192 has been downgraded to a transport for the VDAC. Refinement, dictinction, beautiful mid-range. It mutated my Roksan K2 amp into a Class A amp really. Difficult to believe that something this good could be available for £160. DAC magic is a good all rounder, but not for audiophiles. The VDAc is pure bliss. specially if you run it with a nice proac box. Well done M Fidelity!!

A

Anonymous

I took a chance by ordering the VDAC from the UK before ever listening to it and now use the VDAC to play FLACs thru USB and luckily it sounds very good (on my MA GR20's). Mainly classical, jazz and acoustic folk/pop/r&b.. The reason for buying was that I did not want an extra DacMagic-like box with buttons and filter settings, I prefered a simple box that can tucked away, also given the WAF. (I also reckoned that since it looked so ugly it must sound very good...). I still have to find out what signals it accepts (I assume 32, 41 and 48Khz/16bits - same as the MF A1 amp) - the documentation is, well let's call it concise. Eventually I aim for a pc based system with a netbook (with extra external hd) > VDAC > (new) amp > MA GR20. Current amp is a NAD 320bee, but I would probably will replace it in due time. If anyone has suggestions for an integrated amp please let me know. Note that I will only use one analog input, from the dac, all the rest is superfluous. Also, a good headphone output would be nice (the NAD is rather poor), although I will not use it very often.

Pete10

A

Anonymous

I have just got my VDAC & for Imac(opto) to my amp, the sound is greatly improved. I am also thinking of using it with my Denon TU1800Dab tuner(coax). I guess the VDac will be an improvement.

Kit

Arcam A32 Biamped with Alpha 9

Arcam T73

Denon TU1800

B&W 704

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts