Musical Fidelity V-DAC alternatives

SouthaK

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
from the review of this new four-star product:

"...the V-DAC is an attractive product for a very reasonable price, and renders an impressively dense and sophisticated musical picture for such a cheap upgrade. It only loses a fifth star because there are better all-rounders in its price class."

What are those better all-rounders at around this price (£160) please.

Thanks,

Kevin.

John Duncan

Well actually it depends on when the builders are done, since all my gear's currently in storage. The DACMagic may indeed sit around doing nothing for another couple of weeks (except for attempting to blend into the background so that when everything comes back it'll be like "what, this old thing?")

SouthaK

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:I've got the Beresford and can't rate it highly enough.

I assume you mean the Beresford TC-7510? What's the headphone output like? I have a pair of Grado Sr125's and was thinking of buying a dedicate headphone amp - do you think I need bother?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Yep, that's the one.

The Headphone question is one I would probably check out afterwards - the can output is fine for me (using Senn HD280Pros), but then I've got nothing else to reference it with. Others have mooted that it's not quite as good as a separate amp...

A

Anonymous

Take a look at Headamp - The Pico + DAC.

Also take a look at RSA the Predator I believe has a built in DAC.

And finally, Headroom.

All US makers. I have a Pico without DAC and it's a wonderful little portable amp. About the size of a fat packet of tic-tacs or a fat Zippo lighter. Remarkable.

The forums on Head-Fi.org should guide you.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
As others have already said, The Cambridge and Beresford are the 5 star rated all rounders in that group test. Just a quick word of advice though, don't dismiss the 4 star product offhand because it was not judged to be as good an all-rounder. Depending on your system and musical tastes it might well be the better product for you...

I'm looking forward to auditioning both the Cambridge and the Musical Fidelity in the coming months...

A

Anonymous

The pico looks lovely, I'd seen it earlier in the year, a comparison between that and the predator would be interesting to read. They are about the same price and quality level

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts