Music Streamer, Spotify, Audio Receiver

IndigoDaisies

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I would really appreciate some advice, recommendations and opinions on the best way to modify or change my current system. I currently have my music saved on a NAS as a mixture of both MP3s and Flacs, plus I use Spotify to test out new music.

I want a system / options to be able to stream and access my Spotify account direct. I do not want to use Airplay for Spotify as I have tried this via AppleTV and wasn't impressed with the sound quality. I think Spotify connect could be an option or in-built in the hardware.

I currently have a Pioneer Amp with a Micromega DAC and Mordaunt Short speakers. I previously had aSqueezebox Touch but found the Spotify app constantly had the error "not available in this region". Plus software is no longer supported.

So the questions are:

1 Do I replace my Amp and DAC with a Stereo Receiver? I have been looking at the Yamaha R-N500 but have got conflicting advice regarding whether it has Spotify Connect functions after firmware upgrade in the UK. Can anyone confirm this or advise on sound quality compared to current setup or recommend a different Receiver

2 Should I purchase something to add into current system, Sonos perhaps? Or an Apple dock plus an iPod

3 I find it odd that it seems impossible to find Stereo Receivers which include Spotify as most AV receivers do. I have an Onkyo AV in the lounge connected to surround speakers and Spotify is built-in. Could I use a AV receiver for my stereo system in the dining room? I am presuming that as the sole use is for music a Stereo receiver will give me better sound

Thank you in advance for any advice and recommendations.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure there are many others like you crying out for a stereo amp/receiver/streamer of a half-decent quality with Spotify built-in. It's enfuriating that the industry is so slow to provide what people actually want.

Anyway, to your questions...

The Yamaha R-N500 is not included on the list of products on the Yamaha website that support Spotify Connect. Stupidly, their AV receivers DO have this feature (AV receivers are primarily marketed for movies aren't they), but the products they make primarily designed to play 2 channel music DON'T have Spotify built-in. Is it me or what, but I thought Spotify was 2-CHANNEL and MUSIC.

Marketing departments really do my head in.

Same goes for Pioneer. Spotify connect is included in their AV receivers and some wireless speakers, but NOT their N50 network player which would be the most logical product to include it.

So, to my knowledge here are your options if you must avoid Airplay and AV receivers that DO have Spotify Connect...

1. Marantz MCR510 or 610 (the 610 also incorporating a CD player), has Spotify, a streaming app (for your NAS) internet radio and 2 x 60wpc RMS.

2. Onkyo TX-8050

3. Sonos Connect with digital optical cable into your DAC.

4. Mac mini with digital optical cable into your DAC.

There have been rumours about the Yamaha R-N500, Naim and Bluesound streamers including Spotify, but until these products officially have it, I wouldn't start counting any chickens. The Bluesound streamers do at least offer Rdio, Qobuz and Deezer, but if you're like me a very happy customer of Spotify's whole package, then these options may not be of interest.

One thing to check though. I currently use my ipad for Spotify (using Airplay to my receiver) and am very happy with the interface. However, the precise way you access your playlists or radio channels using the Marantz and Onkyo apps may be quite different and may not be as slick. It's worth checking this before parting with your cash.

SO, JUST IN CASE ANY MANUFACTURERS ARE SUFFICIENTLY INTERESTED IN THEIR WORK TO ACTUALLY READ THESE FORUMS, CAN WE PLEASE HAVE DECENT QUALITY STEREO AMPLIFIERS WITH SPOTIFY & ENOUGH OPTICAL DIGITAL INPUTS FOR THE TV, SET-TOP BOX, CD PLAYER ETC ETC PLEASE, SEEING THAT THERE ARE CURRENTLY A GRAND TOTAL OF TWO (YES, ONLY 2) PRODUCTS THAT DO THIS AT PRESENT. (And without disrespecting the owners of these products, they are firmly planted at the budget end of the market).

End of rant. (sorry but it's been quite a Victor Meldrew sort of day).

Thanks for your very useful comments about her lack of stereo amps with facilities like this!

The problem is that they alternatives that you have correctly identified are still at a higher price point. So I've come to the conclusion that the bottom line is that a higher feature on AV receiver is the way to go, even though I prefer to have a stereo box where I would actually use the features!! I'll be getting something like that the denon x 2000 because it's now down to £250, so seems to make sense as the cheapest option for hardwired Spotify access... Do you agree?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

As you are probably aware, Spotify Connect is different from 'normal' Spotify support.

Connect is superior in every way, most importantly because of the direct connection and the fact that Connect is accessed from the standard Spotify iOS/Android app, with desktop integration expected soon.

Right now, the only 2 channel hi-fi components that have this built in are the Yamaha R-N500 and the Nad D7050, though both need up to date software and firmware. It is also supported by the Bluesound system such as the Node.

Setup though simple in theory, isn't in practice, Bluesound support seems good, Yamaha and Nad less so. As someone who uses Spotify pretty much exclusively this is of some interest to me.

Right now the biggest issue remains the lack of desktop support for Connect, neither the OSX nor the Windows version of the Spotify client support it.

MWSAH

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Hifi Klubben says there will be a new version of the Denon Piccolo (or N5 network receiver) coming this year, with built-in Spotify Connect. There's hardly any information to find about this, but he told me the information is true and were about to hear more from it.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I have had this issue too, though i have been using a Sonos ZP80 (Connect) i want to improve sound quality.

I have just purchased a Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 V2 which has Spotify Connect and up sampling technology and a host of inputs outputs, DAC and Preamp.

I should pick it up Thursday Friday. Will report back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts