Music & Movie Conundrum

goodhevans79

Sep 7, 2024
Visit site
In 2017 I wanted to create an easy to use system for enjoying blu-ray, TV and both streamed and CD format music. The result was Sonos and Panasonic DSP-900 (I think) through an Anthem MRX 520 receiver, powering Dali Zensor 5 fronts and Vokal centre, a BK Electronics Sub and little KEF egg surround speakers. The blur-ray is long gone but the rest remain and I can't help but feel a little short-changed on sound quality for the 2 Channel on music.
I will be looking to upgrade soon, my initial thoughts is to improve the source - I now exclusively stream on Apple Music Lossless/Hi-Res and I think the Sonos needs to go - considering the new CXN100 from Cambridge Audio. But does something need to be done with the Anthem amp? I need my front speakers to drive the 2 channel for music but also need them as fronts for the TM/film through SkyQ (Netflix/Disney/Prime Video). How can I improve overall quality whilst retaining the same set up with the amplifier receiver at the centre of things? Ideally I'd love a solution that provides excellent streaming capability for music but can easily be used to deliver room-filling sound. for movies and TV.

You haven't got any real choice but to stick with an AV amp, and Anthem has great reviews. A stereo amp at the same price should have an advantage as the budget is not spread over many channels, there's no AV processing etc to pay for - that's inevitable - but a stereo amp won't do any of the other things that you need.

Sounds like the best option is to demo some other sources maybe? At least you'll then know if that's where the issue lies.

Reactions: abacus

Fandango Andy

In 2017 I wanted to create an easy to use system for enjoying blu-ray, TV and both streamed and CD format music. The result was Sonos and Panasonic DSP-900 (I think) through an Anthem MRX 520 receiver, powering Dali Zensor 5 fronts and Vokal centre, a BK Electronics Sub and little KEF egg surround speakers. The blur-ray is long gone but the rest remain and I can't help but feel a little short-changed on sound quality for the 2 Channel on music.
I will be looking to upgrade soon, my initial thoughts is to improve the source - I now exclusively stream on Apple Music Lossless/Hi-Res and I think the Sonos needs to go - considering the new CXN100 from Cambridge Audio. But does something need to be done with the Anthem amp? I need my front speakers to drive the 2 channel for music but also need them as fronts for the TM/film through SkyQ (Netflix/Disney/Prime Video). How can I improve overall quality whilst retaining the same set up with the amplifier receiver at the centre of things? Ideally I'd love a solution that provides excellent streaming capability for music but can easily be used to deliver room-filling sound. for movies and TV.
The amp and speakers are all good products, there is probably room for improvement in the setup. Do you have the main speakers well positioned? The amp probably has lots of settings for room correction and/or effects. Worth checking you are getting the best out of it before trading it in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts