Multimedia Players

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
System: AMC CD6 CD Player, Denon TU-260L Tuner, Rotel RC 870 Pre-amp, Rotel RB 870 Power Amp, Yamaha DSP AX-620 AV Amp, Logitech Wireless DJ Jukebox, i-Pod, Kensington i-Pod Docking Station, Sp-19 4 way audio control switching box, Kef Model 100 Reference Series Center Speaker, Kef 55s Rears, Lake Audio 5.2 floorstanders, Sound Organisation 5 tier and 3 tier racks, isolation spikes for components, mixture of Audio Seduction and Cambridge Audio interconnects, Audio Seduction speaker cable.

Overall I'm very pleased with my system - the Lake Audio 5.2's blew away the Kef Reference's that I auditioned and at a fraction of the price.

My problem is that I niavely purchased the Logitech DJ as it had received favourable reviews. I quickly realised that wireless music reproduction is in no way similar to digital. I feel the sound from the Logitech is no better than a very low budget, poor quality cassette deck. And I hate cassette decks!

I've also found out that docking stations only serve to muffle an i-pod's sound. Connecting the i-pod straight to the amp is the best way with stunning results.

My question is - what is the best way to add my PC music files to my system other than to add them to my i-pod?

I really don't want to spend a lot of money. Second hand will suffice.

Cheers

Stevie

A

Anonymous

You could buy a Beresford DAC and power it from your computer. If the computer is in a different room the Squeezebox 3 is supposed to work well with the DAC as well.

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi, computer in same room. Would this improve the sound quality of the Logitech? Or should I ditch the Logitech? Have been considering an Imerge Soundserver. Obviously, second hand though price allowing.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

If the logitech has a digital out on the receiver (the one closest to your stereo) then use this to feed the dac of your cd-player. If there's no digital out, there's no way to improve- ditch it!

Nohairnick

Feb 16, 2008
Visit site
One way is to get some conversion software that will convert your files from whatever format you are holding them on the PC in to a format readable by CD players. Then burn them and play them as a CD. You might end up with a lot of CDs though!

A quick search turned up loads of sites offering various products that will do the job (though mainly with mp3s and not the Apple formats I suspect you have- these should be easy to convert anyway).

Here's an example:-

http://www.mymusictools.com/articles/how-do-i-convert-mp3-to-cda.htm

(Disclaimer -I haven't used this or have any idea of its quality- it just seemed relevant)

Obviously the higher the bitrate of your PC file the better chance you will have.

Regards,

Nick

A

Anonymous

[quote user="amarocknrollstar"]

My question is - what is the best way to add my PC music files to my system other than to add them to my i-pod?

[/quote] Try out apple airport express; take the digital signal to be processed by your cd player's dac. Then it should sound fine.Other option could be a squeezebox from slim devises/logitech. Take a look at http://www.stereophile.com/computeraudio/ to see what soots you best.

A

Anonymous

I'd like to share some improvement I recently made with my pc as a source:

-download and install asio4all
This prevents windows from converting the signal again and again, resulting in a clearer sound! Just make sure before you install, you don't want to use Windows media player as a source. Apparently installing asio4all disables WMP. No problem for me as I use Itunes and Plextools, but it might be an issue for you.Every little tweak helps! ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts