Multi-Channel outputs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Personally, if I get the Oppo for £450 as gel suggested, I would go for that. Better build and features (also plays SACDs).

Better than what? The Panasonic? I just don't particularly like the looks of the Oppos really. Suppose you get used to it...

The_Lhc said:
bigboss said:
Personally, if I get the Oppo for £450 as gel suggested, I would go for that. Better build and features (also plays SACDs).

Better than what? The Panasonic? I just don't particularly like the looks of the Oppos really. Suppose you get used to it...

Are you interested in the looks of the player or their performance? :)

Panasonic is plastic with a metallic finish paint. Oppo is metal.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
The_Lhc said:
bigboss said:

Are you interested in the looks of the player or their performance? :)

Well the Panasonic gets excellent reviews for its performance and to be honest I'll be looking at it more than watching it, so...

Panasonic is plastic with a metallic finish paint. Oppo is metal.

And the Oppo has more features and inputs for upscaling other HDMI devices (I think), if the performance of the two is similar it would make more sense to go for the Oppo I suppose. I think it's mainly the badge that I find a bit ugly, not to mention overly large, it will annoy me.

D

Deleted member 2457

The Oppo is good! And has excellent customer service. I would definitely buy an Oppo again.

D

Deleted member 2457

Your mate David would probably give you a discount.

D

Deleted member 2457

The_Lhc said:
gel said:
The Oppo is good! And has excellent customer service. I would definitely buy an Oppo again.

So why did you get rid of the one you had? And what did you need the customer service for?

Because I had two with my Pioneer and the Oppo was worth more, that's another reason to buy it they sell well. Firmware update discs can be sent to you by Oppo if you wish.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
The_Lhc said:
gel said:

So why did you get rid of the one you had? And what did you need the customer service for?

Because I had two with my Pioneer and the Oppo was worth more, that's another reason to buy it they sell well. Firmware update discs can be sent to you by Oppo if you wish.

Do they update over t'internet?

D

Deleted member 2457

The_Lhc said:
gel said:
The_Lhc said:
gel said:

Not sure, I think they do.

gel said:
The_Lhc said:
gel said:
The_Lhc said:
gel said:
The Oppo is good!   And has excellent customer service.  I would definitely buy an Oppo again.

Because I had two with my Pioneer and the Oppo was worth more, that's another reason to buy it they sell well.  Firmware update discs can be sent to you by Oppo if you wish.

Not sure, I think they do.

Yes they do.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
No, I'm not particularly interested in second-hand, what are the loading times like on those?

All the second-hand stuff that I've bought (mainly on ebay and gumtree) over the last three years or so (two stereo amplifiers to provide extra channels for surround-sound amplifiers, two Humax Freesat receivers, two Humax Freeview HD receivers, one Humax Freeview HD recorder, one SVS PC-13 Ultra subwoofer) has all been fine, even those that were posted to me, and have saved me quite a bit of money over their original prices, but it's your money! From memory, the loading time on the Panasonic BD80 Blu-Ray player is about two minutes, typical of its 2009 vintage. Granted, a more modern player would load faster, but I personally - you probably differ - am not bothered by loading times.

The_Lhc said:
Won't play DVDs? What's the point of that?

It was only one particular sample that had been modified and now wouldn't play DVDs, the other Panasonic BD80s were fine and can play DVDs. Panasonic Blu-Ray players, whether old or new, don't play SACDs if that is a concern for you.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The main problem I'd have with that is that my current player is from 2009 as well and if that's starting to have issues with discs then I wouldn't have any confidence that another of the same age wouldn't have the same trouble sooner rather than later.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
The main problem I'd have with that is that my current player is from 2009 as well and if that's starting to have issues with discs then I wouldn't have any confidence that another of the same age wouldn't have the same trouble sooner rather than later.

Ah, I see. But as I think I said earlier, neither of my two Panasonic DMP-BD80 Blu-Ray players have had any trouble in playing any modern discs, so worth about £80 I would have thought ...... But to be certain, I can't argue with bigboss's advice for you to get the (£500) Oppo 103.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Well that's interesting, the second copy of ROTPOTA doesn't work at all on a friend's CA651 BDP with up to date firmware, won't even load, unknown disc, must be a bad batch, I can't recall any reports of bad batches of this film, have to have a Google...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
So, has anyone else had any problems with the Blu-Ray of Rise of The Planet of The Apes? Curious to know how widespread it is, I've seen people elsewhere having trouble with it on Samsung and LG players and in one case, a Panasonic DBT-500.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Best price on an Oppo 103 ?

I'm thinking about getting the Oppo solely for the fact it can play SA-CD over my current Panasonic multi channel output Bluray player, but £500 scares me in an age where physical blurays/dvd's are dying out.

What to do ???

Speak to dealers and see what discount can they give you. Margins are tight on the Oppo, so don't expect a huge discount. Alternatively, keep an eye on AV forums classifieds section. Gel sold his few months old Oppo for £350 last year IIRC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts