Multi-Channel outputs

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Other than the Panasonic DMP-BDT700 does anyone know which current blu-ray players feature multi-channel analogue outputs?

I've tried looking on WHF's reviews but there's nearly 400 of them and multi-channel outputs isn't one of the search filter options, which is damn irritating, similarly AV Forums filters don't work at all on any browser I've got and no retailers website seem to filter on that option either, so searching is frustrating at the very least!

One point, I'm not interested in paying Oppo 105 prices, half that at the most.

An alternative question, does anyone else have any problems with the Blu-ray of Rise of the Planet of the Apes (not Dawn, note) at about the 52 minute mark?

D

Deleted member 2457

What about this Marantz?

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p-11035-mar-ud5007-blk.aspx

Oppo 103 can be had for £499, or maybe a bit of a discount if you speak to some of the regular dealers here.

A few Richer Sounds stores may have Panasonic BDT500 left, if you're lucky.

Not aware of any other.

I haven't noticed any problems on the latest Planet of the Apes blu ray disc.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Oppo 103 can be had for £499, or maybe a bit of a discount if you speak to some of the regular dealers here.

Hmm, I didn't think the 103 had the multi-channel outputs, thought that was the 105s USP, oh well, one to add to the list then.

A few Richer Sounds stores may have Panasonic BDT500 left, if you're lucky.

I'll have a look, cheers.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
The_Lhc said:
Paul. said:
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/blu-ray-players/blu-ra...

this? £169 at john lewis

Crikey, that's good! Hmmm...

Ask JL to price match this or this.

JL will give 5 year warranty though won't they? That's another 100 quid from the second place (didn't check the first, special order only, not sure JL would match that unless it's actually available would they?).

I'm returning the Blu-ray of ROTPOTA first, it appears the playback issue is only on chapter 15, before and after that is fine, so if the new disc works correctly I won't worry about it.

5 year guarantee from JL is for TVs only. In any case, they are known to price match regardless of the warranty period (like they matched my iPad mini and also Samsung 60H7000 with Currys despite the latter offering only 1 year warranty). No harm in submitting a price match request.

Which player have you got now? I'm assuming it's up to date with firmware?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
5 year guarantee from JL is for TVs only.

Oh, balls.

Which player have you got now?

Sony BDP-S760, start up's a bit slow but other than that it's been working perfectly so I'm not going to replace it without good reason.

I'm assuming it's up to date with firmware?

It was as far as the Sony UK was concerned but that was three years old, then I found a tip online that Sony Canada had released a much later update, primarily to address compatibility issues, so I downloaded that and updated it from CD-R, didn't make any difference though.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
If you're willing to go second-hand, there is the Panasonic DMP-BD80. I have two of these, one in my bedroom (bought new in June 2009) and one in the front bedroom (bought on eBay about 18 months ago). Bigboss has a similar player, the BD60, but what distinguishes my players is that they have 5.1 or 7.1 multichannel outputs. I did a search on eBay for "Panasonic BD80 blu-ray player" and these three players came up. Note that the first actual player listed, starting at £30, won't play DVDs. I don't know if you like the five films that come with the third player listed! You might want to make a "Buy It Now" offer on the second player, bids starting at £5.50, perhaps if you offer about £75, which is roughly what I paid for my eBay one 18 months ago. One last thing say to say about the Panasonic DMP-BD80 is that both my players, but especially relevantly the one that I bought in June 2009, have performed faultlessly, not needing a software updates to play even the most recent discs, which certainly can't be said of my much more expensive Denon BDP-4010 player. Review here.

D

Deleted member 2457

Which one do you think you are going to buy then?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gel said:

The missus is taking the ROTPOTA Blu-ray back to Tescos today (hopefully), if the new copy works properly I won't get any of them, otherwise it'll either be the Panasonic if I can get it at the current price from Sevenoaks (£419) or the Samsung from John Lewis.

D

Deleted member 2457

David at Frank Harvey did me the Oppo 103 for £450 about a year ago.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
gel said:

The missus is taking the ROTPOTA Blu-ray back to Tescos today (hopefully), if the new copy works properly I won't get any of them, otherwise it'll either be the Panasonic if I can get it at the current price from Sevenoaks (£419) or the Samsung from John Lewis.

Arsenal, the new copy is even worse than the last one, last copy was only chapter 15, this one looks like everything from that point on won't play properly. ******, really didn't want to be buying a new player right now...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
*grump* The Samsung doesn't get great write ups and the Panasonic has gone up in price following Black Friday, Richers had it for £399, now £449, Sevenoaks were £419, now £429. *dash1*

D

Deleted member 2457

The_Lhc said:
*grump* The Samsung doesn't get great write ups and the Panasonic has gone up in price following Black Friday, Richers had it for £399, now £449, Sevenoaks were £419, now £429. *dash1*
Not good!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
The_Lhc said:
Not good!

The funniest one of the lot, the ex-service CA 752BDs that Richers were offering for £449? Now £719! That's 20 quid MORE than you can get a new one for at the VIP price! Huh?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts