MS Alumni or Kef 2005.3?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone has done a comparrison between these two sets of speakers and would care to share their opinions?

I'm currently running the Alumni 5.1 package with a Sony STR-DA2400 and whilst they sound okay (and have improved after a weeks worth of reasonably heavy usage) they don't sound as good as I hoped so I'm wondering if I should change them for the Kefs which generally get better reviews?

TIA

Simon

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I also auditioned those a long with the Kefs 2005.3, 3005se and Q acoustics 1010i with the Onkyo 606. Afterwards i felt that the Kef 2005.3 where better than the Alumni and the Kef 3005se gave an even better soundstage and dialog. Then trying the Q acoustics i knew i had to have the traditional speakers, they felt more natural, and cohesive with less treble and more bass. The only problem was the size of the centre channel, so i opted for the Quad-lites and there fab. In your situation an audition is a must the kefs to me sounded better, and if you can get a complete refund or swap then i would do that, if not you may prefer the sound from small traditional speakers like Quad-lite, MA Radius, Tannoy F1 customs.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Lobby

Unfortunately space limits me to a 'style' package otherwise I'd be looking at more options (even the 1010i's would be too big as one of the rears needs to be fixed to a wall positioned so a door misses it as it's closed, anything bigger than the Alumni or Kefs would end up mounted too far forward). Budget won't stretch to the 3005SE package otherwise I'd (having heard them already) almost definitely go down that route. I am able to take the Alumni's back swap them (and pay a bit extra) for the 2005's so that's probably the route I'll take if I prefer the sound of them.

A

Anonymous

To follow up on this...

Just been down and had a listen to both packages and the Kefs definitely get my vote, better clarity, definition and overall more 'entertaining' than the MS package. I'll be doing the swap as soon as they get another set of the Kefs in stock (maybe I should have made an offer on the demo set
emotion-42.gif
)

Thanks to James at Richer Sounds in Weybridge for the demo and your patience

TRENDING THREADS