MQA has been saved from administration

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
I have no firm views about MQA one way or another but dispassionately it does seem to now be an answer to a question (bandwidth) that is no longer as relevant as previously. Perhaps not a swift death but instead a well earned retirement is in order.

manicm

I for one am glad it survives. Streaming at 24/196 is still very wasteful. And also the new MQA for headphone streaming on phones is very promising.

There's nothing wrong in having more choice. And you still need different Bluetooth codecs, as for example LDAC ironically does not sound great at lower bit rates

Reactions: Office Dog

firedog

Sep 20, 2023
Visit site
I doubt this saves MQA.
I suspect they are planning on using the SCL6 tech in their own projects.

Tidal is dropping MQA. Soon there will be essentially no source. So manufacturers will also drop it.
Lenbrook is a hi-fi competitor. It's competitors won't want to work with it and reveal proprietary info in order to have MQA DACs, etc that are basically pointless.

Office Dog

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
I have no firm views about MQA one way or another but dispassionately it does seem to now be an answer to a question (bandwidth) that is no longer as relevant as previously. Perhaps not a swift death but instead a well earned retirement is in order.
Bandwidth is perhaps not as relevant to today's individual user as previously - though don't underestimate the data appetite of hi-res audio on-the-go - but it is increasingly important to streaming companies delivering bucketloads of data; from both cost and sustainability angles. Also, bandwidth was just one of MQA's original three USPs, and its other two ('deblurring' of the recording and music file provenance) remain 100% relevant. People wishing death/retirement to an audio technology - one that is entirely optional to consumers as well as (comparatively more) environmentally friendly - mystifies me.

Office Dog

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
This is very unfortunate news. Most audiophiles where hoping for a swift death for MQA.
It's not unfortunate news, I guess, for those who enjoy MQA. (And for those who may work for MQA for that matter!) Also, I'd be interested to understand more about your 'most audiophiles, etc' statement - on which data is your comment based?

firedog

Sep 20, 2023
Visit site
Bandwidth is perhaps not as relevant to today's individual user as previously - though don't underestimate the data appetite of hi-res audio on-the-go - but it is increasingly important to streaming companies delivering bucketloads of data; from both cost and sustainability angles. Also, bandwidth was just one of MQA's original three USPs, and its other two ('deblurring' of the recording and music file provenance) remain 100% relevant. People wishing death/retirement to an audio technology - one that is entirely optional to consumers as well as (comparatively more) environmentally friendly - mystifies me.
MQA albums files are sometimes actually larger than flac- especially MQA CD.

You can also take a hi-res file and convert it to 18/96 with dither - it will be no larger , and often smaller, than the equivalent MQA file, and if done properly - less lossy.
So no need for "file size saving via MQA".

deblurring-is fake. MQA, btw, never actually explained what it is; they just asserted that it existed and that their tech fixed it. No proof or actual verifiable demonstration was ever offered.

The digital filters MQA uses in "unfolding" actually ADD transient distortion to files. This has been objectively demonstrated. Too bad you aren't aware of the facts. (Of course, this added distortion may be euphonic to some and what they like about MQA).

provenance - also fake. When thousands of albums are released in a short period of time in MQA versions, what "authentication" do you think is going on? Answer: none. It's just mechanical batch conversion by an MQA algorithm. Not to mention: who do you think "authenticates" a 60 year old album from which the artist, producer and engineer have all died?
Answer: a low level clerk at the record company vault.

Plus: it's also been demonstrated that MQA files CAN be altered and still turn on the blue light. Again, you are woefully uninformed.

In addition, we have multiple instances of albums appearing in MQA where all of the principals involved said they didn't approve it and had nothing to do with the release. Neil Young was one, and he forced Tidal to take down MQA files because of that (as unlike most artists, he has legal control of his files),

So no "authentication" actually happens in almost all the cases- except for a small number of "white glove" MQA releases.

MQA had no purpose except as an attempt to use proprietary closed source tech to try and make money.
It serves no actual purpose that can't be accomplished without it, and at zero cost to the consumer.

It's simply a scam.

Last edited:

Office Dog

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
MQA albums files are sometimes actually larger than flac- especially MQA CD.

You can also take a hi-res file and convert it to 18/96 with dither - it will be no larger , and often smaller, than the equivalent MQA file, and if done properly - less lossy.
So no need for "file size saving via MQA".

deblurring-is fake. MQA, btw, never actually explained what it is; they just asserted that it existed and that their tech fixed it. No proof or actual verifiable demonstration was ever offered.

The digital filters MQA uses in "unfolding" actually ADD transient distortion to files. This has been objectively demonstrated. Too bad you aren't aware of the facts. (Of course, this added distortion may be euphonic to some and what they like about MQA).

provenance - also fake. When thousands of albums are released in a short period of time in MQA versions, what "authentication" do you think is going on? Answer: none. It's just mechanical batch conversion by an MQA algorithm. Not to mention: who do you think "authenticates" a 60 year old album from which the artist, producer and engineer have all died?
Answer: a low level clerk at the record company vault.

Plus: it's also been demonstrated that MQA files CAN be altered and still turn on the blue light. Again, you are woefully uninformed.

In addition, we have multiple instances of albums appearing in MQA where all of the principals involved said they didn't approve it and had nothing to do with the release. Neil Young was one, and he forced Tidal to take down MQA files because of that (as unlike most artists, he has legal control of his files),

So no "authentication" actually happens in almost all the cases- except for a small number of "white glove" MQA releases.

MQA had no purpose except as an attempt to use proprietary closed source tech to try and make money.
It serves no actual purpose that can't be accomplished without it, and at zero cost to the consumer.

It's simply a scam.
And... we're off. I guess you're not one for disagreeing agreeably. I just don't get the aggressiveness and arrogance that (some) people adopt in forums. My opinions? I like how MQA files sound; I am happy to pay for TIDAL Masters; and I don't mind paying for MQA-compatible kit. And while I disagree with what you think, I am happy for you to make your own choices. As for Neil Young, that'll be the same Neil Young who launched his own store to sell his own music - hardly a neutral observer.

manicm

I doubt this saves MQA.
I suspect they are planning on using the SCL6 tech in their own projects.

Tidal is dropping MQA. Soon there will be essentially no source. So manufacturers will also drop it.
Lenbrook is a hi-fi competitor. It's competitors won't want to work with it and reveal proprietary info in order to have MQA DACs, etc that are basically pointless.

Tidal may think twice before dropping MQA now.

crypticc

Jan 8, 2022
Visit site
Hello

Is this accurate? Do what hifi have mqa wrong again?

Per my understanding even the headphones with mqa authentication only operate as such via their wired connections.
I understand mqa is a streaming/ file format not a Bluetooth protocol. Once unpacked that format is then subject to whatever benefits it constraints of the DAC > analogue speaker that exists for that user.

Code:
MQA and SCL6. Both provide better quality sound over wireless Bluetooth

firedog

Sep 20, 2023
Visit site
And... we're off. I guess you're not one for disagreeing agreeably. I just don't get the aggressiveness and arrogance that (some) people adopt in forums. My opinions? I like how MQA files sound; I am happy to pay for TIDAL Masters; and I don't mind paying for MQA-compatible kit. And while I disagree with what you think, I am happy for you to make your own choices. As for Neil Young, that'll be the same Neil Young who launched his own store to sell his own music - hardly a neutral observer.
You made statements about MQA. I made several statements to refute you that are actually backed up by facts and objective testing.

I made no comment about anyone preferring the sound of MQA; I realize there are many that do and I have no problem with that.

I do have a problem with people going beyond their personal sound tastes and making unsubstantiated claims about deblurring - which has never been actually defined or tested to shown to be true - it's simply an MQA claim. Same goes for "authentication". It simply is marketing BS. (Again, how do they authenticate albums with only dead principals? There's no one to tell them their master is "authentic".)

Navanski

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
It's all kicking off again. MQA seems a very abrasive set of initials. I'm not going to add fuel to the fire by giving my opinion on the MQA format. If you're happy with it then I'm happy for you. If you don't like it then simply don't use it.

All I will add is that after all the furore surrounding MQA there's going to be some close scrutiny of the SCL6 codec.

JR75

Oct 26, 2022
Visit site
This is great news !! Thankfully, Apple did not buy MQA - that would have been a non-starter for most people. And the idea that "Most audiophiles where hoping for a swift death for MQA" is absurd. MQA is an excellent streaming format that brings very high quality audio to the masses. I hope we see a return of the Tidal Masters at Tidal.

TRENDING THREADS