Lenbrook Media Group forms to grow MQA and SCL6 for a bright hi-res audio future

bristollinnet

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
With ever-increasing broadband coverage and average audiophile user broadband speeds creeping ever higher, there is ZERO market potential for newer lossless or lossy algorithms. Silly purchase.

Friesiansam

Streaming hires lossless at 24/192 is still a waste of bandwidth, and in that respect I'm all for MQA.
If you have a fast internet connection, why is it a waste of bandwidth? I would rather stream hi-res FLAC, than spend a lot of money buying a replacement DAC/headphone amp, with full MQA decoding capability to at least match the performance of the one I have. As I see it, lossless FLAC is preferable to any lossy format, unless you have a very slow internet connection.

Reactions: DougK1

manicm

If you have a fast internet connection, why is it a waste of bandwidth? I would rather stream hi-res FLAC, than spend a lot of money buying a replacement DAC/headphone amp, with full MQA decoding capability to at least match the performance of the one I have. As I see it, lossless FLAC is preferable to any lossy format, unless you have a very slow internet connection.

A hires stream uses more bandwidth than 1080p streaming, about 10mbps. That to me is just wasteful.

If I'm going to do that I'll also be purchasing hires downloads. Which I've done a few times. I don't see the value in hires streaming. But it's fine for some, and that's ok.

daveh75

Bandwidth isn't a valid reason not to stream hi-res, especially in an era where 4/5G connections are now capable of delivering comparable, and even greater speeds than fixed line broadband in some cases.

The fact it's largely pointless, at least as far as playback is concerned, when most can't discern a difference between lossy and lossless codecs, let alone hi-res is.

However, MQA is and will always be a scam, thats only purpose is licensing fees.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

koshka

Jan 8, 2024
Visit site
All these negative comment s about MQA seem to be an obsession with some people. I have recently discovered MQA CD's having bought a Luxman CD player with built in decoder and they sound amazing. They can also be ripped to a Hires file if required.
I have compared some MQA CD's to the same music on CD and vinyl LP and MQA CD's just sound more real.
MQA could transform CD sales with audio enthusiasts but needing a MQA decoder is definitely a negative.
Their scarceness and popularity has pushed Japanese MQA CD prices through the roof but there are some reasonably priced on Amazon and if you have an open mind and a decoder I would give one a go.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts