Mp3 Cd players?

cinemafan

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi - forgive me for being old fashioned here, but can anyone recommend a Cd player which will play mp3 Cds? I have a pretty old Marantz player, which of course only plays audio Cds.

Or should I get with the times and buy an iPod and some speakers? thanks .....

A

Anonymous

I think most modern CD players will play MP3's as long as they have been burned right...

What's your budget?

I know the NAD C545BEE cd player I had a few years ago worked fine with MP3 CD's as did a Cyrus 6SE I had

Havent tried them on my Rega Apollo though as hardly any CD's left now

cinemafan

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
Well my Marantz CD63 is pretty old as I say, so perhaps that's the problem. Budget not huge, just practical. As I say, I want to create Mp3 discs from either iTunes or Toast (on Mac), and play them back, sounds simple :)

I have LOADS of mp3 files, so as I say perhaps I should just get an Mp3 dock and a player or something, I don't know

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Just get a media streamer such as ATV or WD TV Live. Or if you don't want the TV on and want better quality for audio, a Squeezebox or Sonos. If your CD player is working fine then spending money on another just to play mp3s seems a waste.

If you choose the WD or Squeezebox touch(not sure about Sonos), you can simply buy a cheap external USB HDD and plug it in and play them from there too.

cinemafan

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
yeah i see what you're saying frog, that does make sense, but i wouldn't know where to start. :oops: all i have is all my mp3s on my mac at present.

A

Anonymous

I agree,

An Ipod (Touch/Classic) would also double as a mobile player! Added functionality.

An AppleTV or an airport would work really well - your mac/itunes should hopefully be able to find them wirelessly semi-automatically - then either select tunes using your Mac, a smartphone, or the AppleTV remote. -N-

A

Anonymous

As I said in the other post re systems; I stream via AirPlay to my ATV2 and that to the amp via an MF M1DAC and the system sounds superb!

It may only stream at 16/48 but it's upscaled to 192 and sounds fantastic. As good, and at times, a bit better than my Rega Apollo which I've done a bit of side by side demoing today (it's been great fun) :D

The poorer recorded CD's like Jethro Tull, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, some Pink Floyd and some Iron Maiden as well all sounds a lot better via the DAC than it does on CD via the Apollo

Yeah all my iTunes music is in Lossless and not MP3 but still; it sounds superb 8)

ATV's can be had fairly cheapo now; more so 2nd hand via eBay and the likes...

Plus if you had the likes of an iPod or 1st Gen iPAD you can have iTunes on there via the Remote APP and, as I'm doing now listening to Pete Tong on Radio 1, use the TuneIn Radio app and listen to loads of radio stations plus those already on iTunes!

Personally I'd go for an ATV/ATV2 with a basic DAC (i.e. Lindy DAC for £40); connect those with a toslink cable and then connect the DAC via RCA phono cables to some decent active speakers like the Audioengine A5's. No amp or CD player needed. Just use your MAC, iTunes and AirPlay :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts