Question moving on from Marantz.... what next.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I've decided to sell on my lovely Marantz gear. maybe a moment of madness, but also i have a curiosity regarding the Triangle speakers, as i don't believe i'm getting the most out of them. so, my question is... what next? i thought about Musical Fidelity M6si and matching CD player. in the hope the extra power will give me the boost the Triangles need! still a bit unsure, but also fancy the Nu Vista stuff, but that would have to be 2nd hand as its a price point above where i'm at right now.

suburbansky

Mar 15, 2022
Visit site
I have a pair of Triangle Borea BR09 and they seem to work great with my Denon PMA 1600 - couldn't be happier for now. The shop I bought the BR09 from demoes them with Vincent gear (specifically hybrid tube/transistor amps), which sounded awesome, too. Don't know whether you can get Vincent in the UK, as it is a relatively obscure and new-ish German brand but they deliver solid build quality and lush sound at very reasonable prices. They usually get rave reviews from the press, to boot.

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

Just for you, new from Exposure.
Don't think there's a matching (full-sized) CDP though.

I have a pair of Triangle Borea BR09 and they seem to work great with my Denon PMA 1600 - couldn't be happier for now. The shop I bought the BR09 from demoes them with Vincent gear (specifically hybrid tube/transistor amps), which sounded awesome, too. Don't know whether you can get Vincent in the UK, as it is a relatively obscure and new-ish German brand but they deliver solid build quality and lush sound at very reasonable prices. They usually get rave reviews from the press, to boot.

I think they were imported here by a ‘shop’, but that seems to have packed up. Shame, as they were an interesting and good value alternative.

EDIT: Vincent are handled by Vinyl Passion now, and they seem to offer a five year warranty, which is reassuring. https://www.missinglinkcables.co.uk/amplifiers

Last edited:
so, i've agreed a sale of the marantz gear, its being collected on saturday.., once its gone, i've got to make my mind up and order a replacement amp and cd player. top of the list is Musical Fidelity M6si and M6scd. been offered a good deal for the pair. still to make my mind up 100% but they are the front runners.

WayneKerr

Ok, thanks for pointing that out. Do you think grunt in this instance means that he wants to play loud or does he mean that more grunt will control the bass drivers better?
I guess only bigfish can truly answer this. I can only assume that he's looking for more control of the bass drivers at lower volumes leading to an enhanced level of bass at those volumes. Time will only tell if it works for him.

In my own case the amp brought a very different presentation, this could, of course, have been the CDP but the combination of both resulted in something I wasn't expecting and initially I was unsure about until I spent some hours listening and realised and understood what I was hearing. Everything was tighter, more delicate and detailed beyond anything I had previously heard in my lounge, but it still has a sweet-spot at about 75dB peak.

The Ruby amp is rated, rather conservatively, at 100W @ 8ohms, 200W @ 4ohms... bench tests have shown that it actually outputs c160W @ 8ohms. The PM-10 has twice this power :) Good power costs cash.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
yeah, the thing i'm looking for and hoping for from MF is bass control. at lower volume, and also whilst listening at enjoyable levels. i also think these speakers will benefit from some extra oomph in other ways too. only time will tell.
the Marantz isn't doing much wrong, i just have a feeling there's more to come. its an expensive gamble, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

yeah, the thing i'm looking for and hoping for from MF is bass control. at lower volume, and also whilst listening at enjoyable levels. i also think these speakers will benefit from some extra oomph in other ways too. only time will tell.
the Marantz isn't doing much wrong, i just have a feeling there's more to come. its an expensive gamble, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.
What made you choose the MF over a plethora of similar-priced amps? Have you demoed the MF or other boxes?

Well, just met a lovely gent and his Mrs. They came to collect the cd and amp so my lovely Marantz gear has gone to a nice home.
I’m now listening to my back-up plan of Arcam A70 and Astell & Kern AK Jr. and it sounds decent. Good enough for me for now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 13

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts