Question moving on from Marantz.... what next.

I've decided to sell on my lovely Marantz gear. maybe a moment of madness, but also i have a curiosity regarding the Triangle speakers, as i don't believe i'm getting the most out of them. so, my question is... what next? i thought about Musical Fidelity M6si and matching CD player. in the hope the extra power will give me the boost the Triangles need! still a bit unsure, but also fancy the Nu Vista stuff, but that would have to be 2nd hand as its a price point above where i'm at right now.

I've decided to sell on my lovely Marantz gear. maybe a moment of madness, but also i have a curiosity regarding the Triangle speakers, as i don't believe i'm getting the most out of them. so, my question is... what next? i thought about Musical Fidelity M6si and matching CD player. in the hope the extra power will give me the boost the Triangles need! still a bit unsure, but also fancy the Nu Vista stuff, but that would have to be 2nd hand as its a price point above where i'm at right now.
Well, as you liked the Leema Pulse, the Tucana MK2 and Antila seems of obvious step up. Used ones are around 2k.

Reactions: bigfish786 and RoA

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I don’t know what sound your after and what you feel is missing and I have no experience with your speakers.

But i think I’d give some thought to one of big technics amps if you have the cash they have just released a mid tier refresh, I’ve read there quite potent and can control anything thrown at them. Might be an interesting audition.

tbh there really isn’t much outside the usual suspects and most of the exoticlly named amps tend to be low powered affairs at this price point.

Whereabouts are you? Reply via PM if you need to, obviously. I ask as you could always cart your speakers to mine and see how they got on with MF gear. Probably not a desperately sensible suggestion, but no harm in offering!

robdmarsh

What sensitivity are your Triangle speakers? I have the Titus EZ which pair brilliantly with the relatively low powered Denon pma 800ne

robdmarsh

Mine are 90db sensitive, 8 ohms nominal impedance but drop to 4 ohms. The match with the Denon pma 800ne is so good it kind of makes me think the speakers were designed to work with this amp or the other way round (they weren't of course but when you get a synergy home run, you kind of feel like that).
Would you say that your Marantz amp was slightly on the warm side of neutral? I would say that my Denon is and the Titus being of a lively agile nature marry so well with this kind of sonic balance. We're all different and maybe this kind of sound does not appeal to you.
In a nutshell what would you say is lacking in the sound you currently have and what are you looking to improve?

Reactions: WayneKerr
i've probably done myself no favours in my first post. lacking in bass at low volume is what i had experienced. turn it up and there's plenty of it. my lovely neighbour had two young children, so i keep the volume at a respectful level.. i think i had just forgot that, but this past weekend they were away all weekend and so i got to turn it up a bit further. the bass is there, everything is there really. i just got to thinking that maybe a MF amp with 200+ watts would bring the speakers to life a little sooner? maybe i'm wrong. it wouldn't be the first time :p

robdmarsh

i've probably done myself no favours in my first post. lacking in bass at low volume is what i had experienced. turn it up and there's plenty of it. my lovely neighbour had two young children, so i keep the volume at a respectful level.. i think i had just forgot that, but this past weekend they were away all weekend and so i got to turn it up a bit further. the bass is there, everything is there really. i just got to thinking that maybe a MF amp with 200+ watts would bring the speakers to life a little sooner? maybe i'm wrong. it wouldn't be the first time :p
How many decibels do you call low volume? You can get a sound meter app for phone very easily to measure it. 60db is supposed to be the level of a normal conversation.

oh no. They will do that for sure.... :)
You can't have too many watts!

Reactions: WayneKerr
How long have you noticed this shortfall at low volumes?

WayneKerr

I have exactly the same issue, semi-detached house with an elderly neighbour, so I try and keep it at a reasonable level. Mine does sound good at low volumes, 60dB, but definitely comes into a sweet-spot around 75dB peak. I do have trouble with my neighbours dog barking at everything that goes past her window so when it p*sses me off sufficiently I just wind-up the volume, she gets the message :)

Never had any doubts that there's nowt wrong with that amp of yours (y)
If you want a cheap dB meter just get one off eBay, I've found the phone ones to be very inaccurate.

How long have you noticed this shortfall at low volumes?

its been there since i changed speakers, the focals used to fill the room, even at low levels. the Triangles have a very different presentation, especially at lower levels. when cranked they sound incredible. i just think they need more ooomph to get them performing. think i'm going to have to treat the neighbour this xmas, and hope she doesn't mind a bit of extra volume . on occasion.

its been there since i changed speakers, the focals used to fill the room, even at low levels. the Triangles have a very different presentation, especially at lower levels. when cranked they sound incredible. i just think they need more ooomph to get them performing. think i'm going to have to treat the neighbour this xmas, and hope she doesn't mind a bit of extra volume . on occasion.
Ah, the old neighbour bribing ploy. 😋

I noticed on the specs for your speakers they dip to 3 ohms, but I would have thought your amp is ballsy enough to get the drivers vibrating sufficiently.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I feel the same way regarding my Marantz PM8005. I keep telling myself I will upgrade to get every last detail out of my KEF Ls50's. Still the Marantz amplifier remains. I have had the Hegel amps in my sights for a long time now, but something tells me I will still own the PM8005 this time next year. The Marantz's sonic signature gets great results with a wide variety of speakers and never tires during long listening sessions. Good luck on the route you decide to take with respect to your HiFi system.

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
hate to say this, but i think it is rather a speaker thing really. bass is not only a watt question. i have 507 ux ii and it is a beast eventough there are way more powerful ones. Marantz PM14s1se should be quite good. in my experience Primare is good from medium level, however had a CXA 80 and it was great right from the begining.

Reactions: nopiano
hate to say this, but i think it is rather a speaker thing really. bass is not only a watt question. i have 507 ux ii and it is a beast eventough there are way more powerful ones. Marantz PM14s1se should be quite good. in my experience Primare is good from medium level, however had a CXA 80 and it was great right from the begining.

its definitely a speaker thing. and it’s mostly noticed with faster,harder music. (Which is what I tend to listen most)
with slower stuff, it is perfect

TRENDING THREADS