Move hifi from tropics to continental Europe

frogfish

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I am going to move my beloved hifi from the very humid Singapore climate to relatively dry Switzerland, and am a little concerned about the impact the change in humidity might have on the equipment, particularly my beloved Kef Reference speakers.

Thoughts ?

Not sure I will get any informed inputs, but trying my luck !

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there will be a problem, if anything it maybe be better in a less humid climate. People use hifi in much drier climates and I have not heard of any problems. I heard of problems with camera lenses in humid climates.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I doubt there's any difference in the speakers sent to tropical climates compared to those sold to the European market. If anything the drier Swiss climate should be better for the speakers I'd have thought. I wouldn't worry about it.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Your gear will benefit from the change to a dry climate. If it was a move from CH to SG then we would alert you that your gear will have a shorter lifespan in a more humid climate.

The best mint condition preserved vintage hifi gear comes from dry climates.

cleggton

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
The only comment I would make is to try and esure that and humity or temperature changes are slow. Also give the equipment some time to aclimitise at the destination so any condensation can be disipated naturally/

frogfish

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Well they will ship so 3 weeks in a container, hopefully that is slow enough :) Was thinking of putting dehumidifiers in the cranes...

cleggton

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that they will be ok, as long as there are no sharp changes. When people ship guitars they put them in cases and have a couple of bags of silica gel. Maybe worth putting in boxes with some large sachets of Silica (or something more effective?)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
frogfish said:
Thanks for the input, I am concerned if the hydrometry change could impact the wooden cabinets ?

I doubt it I have heard of prolems with wood from the topics going to countries like Australia drying out and cracking but not speaker cabinets, anyway Switz is not a very dry climate, I don't think you need to worry. Kefs are made in UK or China?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts