Mounting speakers on a stand

PeterCu

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I have Q Acoustics 2020i speakers and Soundstyle Z2 speaker stands. There’s no way to fix the speakers to the stand. My AV dealer says the speakers should just rest on the stands. I’m worried the speaker will fall off or the sound won’t be as good. Is this correct? Should the speakers just rest on the stand or be mounted to it?
Thanks.

Plus another one. Blu Tack (or even Black or White Tack) is still the best for preventing movement.

If, however you want do isolate your speakers even more, then utilise some small sorbothane half-spheres as they are slightly tacky and do a good job. They will not stop movement as much as Blu Tac but I've never had a problem with speakers falling off stands.

PeterCu

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Tzutzu, thats what Richer Sounds said. I read mounting speakers on shelves or on furniture was a bad idea acoustically and that I should buy a quality stand. Seems strange to spend £70 on a pair of stands and have speakers loosely mounted on them with bluetack. I'm no expert, will give it a go and see how it sounds. Thanks.

PeterCu

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Al Ears. I'll try the blutack first as I have some spare. Alternatively how about some cushioned twin stick tape or velcro tape? Would hold the speaker more securely and offer some sound isolation.

Something like this:

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/nails-screws-fixings-hardware/hook-and-loop/tape/Griptite-Stick-On-Tape-Black-0-5m-13628579?skuId=14099285

Your stands probably come with mounting holes to fit the smaller Q Acoustics 1010's however I still wouldn't use them.

You seem overly worried about them falling off, why is that? Are your speaker cables particularly heavy? They will not fall off (assuming you do not live on a boat
regular_smile.gif
), they would have to be knocked off.

If you are just worried about speakers getting knocked off then 3 or 4 decent sized blobs of blu-tac will be sufficient. Believe me when stuck down in this way it is going to take a fair old knock to dislodge them from the stands.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
After a few months u will find the blutack/speaker bond very strong - certainly needing a hefty slide - u wont knock em off! pea size does the job.

PS I have no affiliation to blutack, any suppliers, manufacturers nor .... :)

PeterCu

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks I will use blue tack. I'm a bit accident prone, but will just have to be careful. Probably worrying about nothing.

Thanks for your help.

wclough

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I have just had to remove my speakers from their stands to take to my local listening room to check out a new CD Player. I had to stand with my feet on the Target stands and lever very hard to get the speakers off. I use a ball of about 3/4" dia of Blu Tac at each corner and press the speaker down hard. They will not fall off or be knocked off

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ease the thin edge of a small plastic spatula into the gap betwixt speaker bottom and stand top-plate then push it through the Blu-Tack blob. If the spatula is too thick for the gap then try an old credit card/loyalty card or whatever.

(Slice it horizontally through the Blu-Tack. Do NOT use it as a lever to seperate the speaker and top-plate.)

Don't use anything metal if you want to avoid scratching stand or veneer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts