Mostly used for SD viewing - PanasonicTH46PZ81B or Sony KDL46W4710

RTL

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

My first post and most questions have been asked before but not in one thread. I have a 29" CRT (Panasonic and still very good) but feel I am missing out on images offered by large flat screens. Currently watch DVDs and SD via analogue and digital (not great where I live) but no Sky. If I upgraded I would get either a freesat dish, or the Sky pay once watch forever offer without taking subscription, so HD not immediately important but could be in the future. I am also assuming more HD will be on offer from Freesat in the future, so this would be my source of HD rather than subscription.

Having read many reviews I went to JLewis yesterday with current favourite the panasonic (£1250). View distances would be 8' min (maybe 8.5' min) up to 12'. The viewing angle would be no less than 45 for one seat not often used, mostly closer to 90.

The salesman switched both TVs to analogue, we compared and all votes (wife, me and 2 daughters) went to the sony (£1610). We were ~ 10ft away. Swiched back to HD and again the sony looked better (brighter, sharper in both SD and HD) than the panny. Some posts mention that salesmen set the TVs such that the more expensive one looks better, so my dilemma is which is better for my current and future stuation, or should I be looking at something else?

I wasn't aware of issues re the sony until I searched on here after returning from JL, so another factor to consider.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
If you like the sony buy it and don't listen to anybody. The issue with them normally relates to faint back light bleed or subtle pools of light showing in corners in dark scenes. Whilst I have seen it in a shop on one of the larger screens there are other things that make up a good picture. Just bear in mind that they usually employ 'shop modes' for displaying tellies in a retail environment and what looks bright, sharp and punchy under strong lights can soon become washed out, wearing and unnatural at home.

TRENDING THREADS