More Headphones

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
To supplement my Grado GS1000s, I've decided to buy another pair of headphones for mates/family listening simultaneously. I'm looking to spend under £250. What are the best cans at this price? I've seen the AKG K701s on the web for £200 and the Sennheiser HD650s also. The only headphones I don't want are Grados funnily even though I was utterly impressed to the highest extreme with my GS1000s. I want something a bit different to the Grados; not extrovert, just a change from the Grados.

Many thanks and all suggestions appreciated!

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Do you want open or closed headphones? Open HP's that I would recommend are the Beyerdynamic DT 880 or 990. Closed HP's in this pricerange that are worth auditioning imo are the Denon AH-D2000.ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Audiofoolius:
Do you want open or closed headphones? Open HP's that I would recommend are the Beyerdynamic DT 880 or 990. Closed HP's in this pricerange that are worth auditioning imo are the Denon AH-D2000.ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

I don't really mind - probably open back because I don't use them anywhere but home.

A

Anonymous

Reiterating what has already been said the Denon AH-D2000 and the Sennheiser HD650. Or you could put the £250 in an ISA or something?

A

Anonymous

Octopo:Or you could put the £250 in an ISA or something?

Nah...me want headphones!

A

Anonymous

How about something totally out of left field ... a revolutionary concept that allows more than one listener to listen to the same output device at the same time ... wait for it ... drum rolls ... speakers!!!

......... tumbleweed

A

Anonymous

Grimaldi:How about something totally out of left field ... a revolutionary concept that allows more than one listener to listen to the same output device at the same time ... wait for it ... drum rolls ... speakers!!!

......... tumbleweed

Nah. Given up on the whole speaker thing. My room has bad accoustics and not enough space for some decent speakers and I like my bass. Headphones are the way forward.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Why do you want to deprive your friends/family of Grados? You could get a nice pair of SR325s for them and they'd love you for it.

If it's actually for you, I can't believe you'd favour a pair of £250 cans over your GS1000s. Seems crazy to me.

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:Why do you want to deprive your friends/family of Grados? You could get a nice pair of SR325s for them and they'd love you for it.

If it's actually for you, I can't believe you'd favour a pair of £250 cans over your GS1000s. Seems crazy to me.

Lol, I don't want to deprive my family - besides, I'm not paying for them, my dad is! He just says he doesn't want to get headphones similar to mine, so I thought I would look at different brands.

A

Anonymous

Get some Sennheiser HD600's, sound more neutral than the 650.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:To supplement my Grado GS1000s, I've decided to buy another pair of headphones for mates/family listening simultaneously. I'm looking to spend under £250. What are the best cans at this price? I've seen the AKG K701s on the web for £200 and the Sennheiser HD650s also. The only headphones I don't want are Grados funnily even though I was utterly impressed to the highest extreme with my GS1000s. I want something a bit different to the Grados; not extrovert, just a change from the Grados.

Many thanks and all suggestions appreciated!

AKG K701s!!! Hopefully mine will be delivered on Tuesday... Frankly both the K701s and HD650s are considered to be top of the line headphones (on this side of the pond anyway)... So it really should just come down to personal preference... I wouldn't get another Grado, just in order to have some variety... who knows, you might find that you prefer the Senns or AKGs to the more expensive Grados...

A

Anonymous

Another pair of cans, I'm considering now are the Denon AH-D5000s. I want the 7000s, but funds don't allow £800 to be spent again on headphones and a better headphone amp that my A32's output is needed to be honest!

A

Anonymous

hughes, sorry to jump on the band-wagon but i also believe you are selling your system short in the speaker department. i also have my system in a small room (my bedroom which is 3m x 4m with a great big computer desk beteween the speakers and a built in wardrobe which resonates). however, i still achieve a fantastic sound through some quality standmounts that also deliver oodles of well extended and controlled bass.
i really think you should take some good quality standmount speakers home and try them with some decent stands... you just never know!

A

Anonymous

No problem. I might borrow a pair of Epos M12.2 and B&W 685s, but I just know that they'll sound bad in my room. Besides, I don't get enough time to play music on speakers in my house with my parents etc, so headphones make much, much more sense.

T

the record spot

Original and better Quad 11L's available from Hi Fi Corner in Edinburgh for only £200. New I think. Worth a shout methinks. Would blow away the competition up to £300 methinks...maybe even tan the 685s too...

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Original and better Quad 11L's available from Hi Fi Corner in Edinburgh for only £200. New I think. Worth a shout methinks. Would blow away the competition up to £300 methinks...maybe even tan the 685s too...

Honestly mate, I thank you for your help, but I would much prefer headphones!

T

the record spot

You could get a bit of leather to join them and then sit them either side of your ea... err, forget that. Not one of my better ones. In the same bucket as the jogger's turntable idea I had some years ago.

A

Anonymous

lonely boy:So Mr Hughes, is that a pair of Denon AH-D5000's I see in your signature??

It is! I've ordered them, and I'm having a quick demo in shop just to make sure they fit my head correctly and don't sound overly flatulent in the bass, but yes...in a nutshell, they're mine!

I also bought a Musical Fidelity X-CANv8 to power them using the 2nd set of outputs from my CD73t and the USB of my pc! Should sound good!

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:lonely boy:So Mr Hughes, is that a pair of Denon AH-D5000's I see in your signature??

It is! I've ordered them, and I'm having a quick demo in shop just to make sure they fit my head correctly and don't sound overly flatulent in the bass, but yes...in a nutshell, they're mine!

I also bought a Musical Fidelity X-CANv8 to power them using the 2nd set of outputs from my CD73t and the USB of my pc! Should sound good!

Cool, they certainly look sweet! I shouldn't be looking at 'phones though, got to start saving money!

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:Lonely Boy, are you a member of headfi.org?

I used to hang around there 3-4 years ago, I do occasionally pop in once a month to see what's going on, but I don't like the place so much now, it may be me, but the atmosphere isn't quite like it used to be.

A

Anonymous

lonely boy:Hughes123:Lonely Boy, are you a member of headfi.org?

I used to hang around there 3-4 years ago, I do occasionally pop in once a month to see what's going on, but I don't like the place so much now, it may be me, but the atmosphere isn't quite like it used to be.

Oh right - I just got myself a username and 8 posts in - seems a great place so far, but maybe I'll be proved wrong! Anyway, I'd better not promote other forums if Mr.E's out hunting again...

A

Anonymous

Also Lonely Boy, do you think the X-CANv8 is better than the Heed Canamp (I think that's its name) and the icon Audio one?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts