Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, thinking about getting these speakers.

Does anyone know if they will go well with my Arcam Alpha 7r /8p amps and Creek Evo cd player. (I currently have a pair of MS 25i pearls which are 10 yrs old now, I know MS are a totally different company these days.) The Mezzo 6 has been well reviewed but can't trust everything you read. I like beat driven dance and rock music with a little funk and Jazz every so often.

Its difficult to get a demo of these as my local richer sounds don't have a listening room and only stock the smaller Mezzo 2. I’m looking for a big sound stage, good imaging and plenty of detail. I do find my current MS25i’s a little bright at times

Any thoughts would be most welcome. Or if there are any other speaker for £700ish I should be looking at.

Cheers Graham

T

the record spot

You could always try emailing Arcam and getting their opinion on the matter. I did this with Marantz for my CD & amp pairing and they, by coincidence, recommend the same speakers you're interested in. My budget has since plummeted, so I'm looking at upgrading the amp (used natch!) and seeing where I get on Ebay.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I think they'd work well but the weak point in your system is the Arcam Alpha 7 integrated. It's not the most powerful amp and probably the weakest amm in the Alpha range.

If possible you could look to upgrade that to an Alpha 8 OR swap the Alpha 8P power amp for an Arcam Alpha 9P power amp and then in the future try to match that with an Arcam Alpha 9 integrated.

With regards to speakers i'd highly reccommend the B&W 685's paired with Partington Dreadnought stands, the M/A RS6 floorstandetrs (IMO better then the Mezzo 6's by a mile, especially when partnered with Arcam) or the B&W 684's. Again, very good with Arcam.

I have very recently sold my Arcam Alpha 9 set-up (integrated, power and CDP) along with my M/A RS6 speakers and that system sounded superb. Lots of solid, well timed and deep bass, smooth and detailed midrange and sweet/crisp treble. I listen to a lot of Hed Kandi, electronic music (Layo & Bushwacka, Leftfield, Underworld, Fischerspooner etc..) as well as Iron Maiden, Metallica to Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull.

The RS6 speakers are really good and i'd highly reccomend them to anyone with similar music tastes

A

Anonymous

the record spot:You could always try emailing Arcam and getting their opinion on the matter. I did this with Marantz for my CD & amp pairing and they, by coincidence, recommend the same speakers you're interested in. My budget has since plummeted, so I'm looking at upgrading the amp (used natch!) and seeing where I get on Ebay.

Hi, Thanks for the replies both, given Marantz are the main UK Distributor for Mordaunt Short I'd say their opinion could be a little biased?? Always found MA to be a bit ear bashing bright and I do want floor standers, I have a big open plan living room / kitchen, so the 685 are not for me.

I have heard mixed opinions regarding the Arcam 7r / 8p I use for Biamping. Some say its ok, some say its week. I am currently using the 7r for Tweeters and the 8p for Mid / Bass. 7r is either 40 or 45 wpc. and the 8p is either 45 or 50 wpc. (can't remember though I think the lower figures are more likely) With the Mezzo's being 89db would have thought I would get good results with my amps. Esp as the 7r runs at more or less tick over driving the tweeters only. Perhaps I am wrong? At some point I'd like to consider a new amp to replace the Arcam stuff, but for now they are going to have to do.

The more I have looked over the last 24 hours the more confused I have become. I have also seen the below all around the £700 mark and I like the look of all 3, 4 inc Mezzo 6.

Dail Lector 6

Focal 716

Kef IQ7 (new version)

How am I supposed to make an informed decision with say a short list of 3 or 4 models and each being sold in a different shop. Direct comparisons can't be made. I can see this more getting stressfull as I try to decide. Might just buy the ones that look the nicest
emotion-7.gif
, at least I know the Mrs will be happy.

TRENDING THREADS