kato

Jul 9, 2020
Visit site
I have a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 100 and am wondering what would be a great pairing for them in the "budget" realm .
What I am really asking is - if someone who already has them and have paired them up and thinks it is a wonderful match, could please share it here.
Please don´t offer vintage, it needs to have a built in DAC.

Some of my contenders are:
Denon PMA 800NE
Denon PMA 600NE
Audiolab 6000A

So if you have it paired any of the above with the Monitor Audio Silver 100, please comment on what do you think of this pairing.

Perhaps also someone who works in a hifi store can tell me what seems to be the most common pairing that they end up selling to their clients.

p.s. I do not have the ability to do any testing ( I know , I know, I should listen and decide myself), but this time I will have to completely rely on the most popular opinion.

kato

Jul 9, 2020
Visit site
Monitor Audio and Musical Fidelity work well together.
Ok. Only thing that now I had a look and cheapest with the DAC is M3Si and that is around 1300€ / 1100£ . I was hoping to be well under 1k and no separates. Also preferably to have SPDIF input. I know I have to sacrifice something eventually either the sound or connections, but there has to be something sub 1k that pairs well with the Silvers.

rainsoothe

I'd look for a used Naim Unitiqute 2. If you want to buy new, look at Cyrus One HD (don't mind the WHF review, it's got top marks everywhere else - I also had one on home demo and it sounded absolutely great).

kato

Jul 9, 2020
Visit site
I'd look for a used Naim Unitiqute 2. If you want to buy new, look at Cyrus One HD (don't mind the WHF review, it's got top marks everywhere else - I also had one on home demo and it sounded absolutely great).
thanks, these two look interesting. Also streamers which is another bonus. On that note, I was also considering to look out for a used Hegel Rost, bcs they sometimes pop up for some 1k EUR in the nordic markets.

kato

Jul 9, 2020
Visit site
Okay, should be fine. Slight caveat: Having owned MAs and demoed many others they tend to like good quality amplification, hence why I suggested Leema and Creek.
Hope you have a returns just in case.
Good luck.
Thank you for the suggestion. I do have 2 weeks to return policy (live in Spain), MA´s seem to need time to burn in so lets see if I get to an optimal point to even test it property before the 2 weeks. But 400€ is what the PMA 800ne costs. Even if I have to sell it used in a while, don´t think I can loose too much on it. Problem also with Leema and Creek- it is nearly impossible to get it in Spain, need to buy it overseas ..and then all the returning policy , or warranty for that matter, is obviously more complicated. Something like a Denon I take to the closest electronics store for warranty. And then good luck selling Creek or Leema ever in the future if I want to change to something else. In UK may not be an issue, but here in Spain unless you are a proper HiFi snob no-one knows about them.
Oh another one. My interior is all white and therefore the silver looks more clean as opposed to a black box. (Subconsciously I think the WAF was also my criteria), which is why when I go up the category, brands like Hegel draw my attention due to offering white color models.
Well lets see.
But again appreciate your input.

Reactions: plastic penguin
Thank you for the suggestion. I do have 2 weeks to return policy (live in Spain), MA´s seem to need time to burn in so lets see if I get to an optimal point to even test it property before the 2 weeks. But 400€ is what the PMA 800ne costs. Even if I have to sell it used in a while, don´t think I can loose too much on it. Problem also with Leema and Creek- it is nearly impossible to get it in Spain, need to buy it overseas ..and then all the returning policy , or warranty for that matter, is obviously more complicated. Something like a Denon I take to the closest electronics store for warranty. And then good luck selling Creek or Leema ever in the future if I want to change to something else. In UK may not be an issue, but here in Spain unless you are a proper HiFi snob no-one knows about them.
Oh another one. My interior is all white and therefore the silver looks more clean as opposed to a black box. (Subconsciously I think the WAF was also my criteria), which is why when I go up the category, brands like Hegel draw my attention due to offering white color models.
Well lets see.

I appreciate what you are saying, and Denon should be fine. Oddly, Leema and Creek aren't as popular in the UK as you might think. Brands such as Roksan, Arcam, Cyrus... trump Leema in terms of sales figures.

Both brands I mentioned come in silver. Here's a picture of my Leema from 2012 with my old monitor Audios..

Attachments

• DSCF0893.JPG
    DSCF0893.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0896.JPG
    DSCF0896.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Al ears

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Well lets see.
If you can share your thoughts ....How does it sound with MA Silver?

kato

Jul 9, 2020
Visit site
If you can share your thoughts ....How does it sound with MA Silver?
Ok, so in essence, I don´t think it is the best match. (that is if you dont want to read all of the below).

I had it for a few days, kept putting the hours on both of them but it did not satisfy me sonically. And between the two I think the Denon was the one at fault, so to say. Don´t get me wrong, it sounded OK, but I don´t settle for OK anymore, if I go the "separates" road. The positives - the PMA 800NE has enough power to drive them, in sense that they can get plenty loud, did not started clipping at any time. Also the base does come out pretty strong and fills the room, wide sound stage, very pleasant. Personally I did not experience the loud noise floor that some people have complained about in the Denon. Love the remote and how the dial turns as you go up/down the volume.
BUT, I kept listening to music and there was something missing. First I thought , well it has not "burnt in yet", on 3rd day the highs on the MA´s got a bit smoother, but that was really not the issue to begin with, it was something with in the midrange and overall energy of the music. I cannot say it did not have the power, because you could play it loud, but it sort of did not have the oomph. I played many of my favourite tracks, but none of them could "take me away" the way a hifi system should do.
I dont want to put down the Denon becasue I still think that FOR THE MONEY is pretty special, and this is probably the case of component matching.
On top of that my personal issue was that the MS´s I got were wood/mahogany colour, and wife almost got a heart attack when she saw them (coming from a Bang&Olufsen system it is like going from a picasso painting to a naked brick wall). Please keep in mind the Monitor Audio Silver 100´s are quite large boxes, for a "bookshelf speaker", there is no way you would put them on any kind of bookshelf. Plus they need some room behind. So all that considered, I put them up for sale and they were gone in few days. Returned the Denon with the store I bought it from.
Disclaimer: I have regular 12 gauge copper speaker cables with no connectors, straight on to the speakers, no special power cable, no power conditioner etc. but please do not attribute the mismatch to any of that.

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so in essence, I don´t think it is the best match. (that is if you dont want to read all of the below).

I had it for a few days, kept putting the hours on both of them but it did not satisfy me sonically. And between the two I think the Denon was the one at fault, so to say. Don´t get me wrong, it sounded OK, but I don´t settle for OK anymore, if I go the "separates" road. The positives - the PMA 800NE has enough power to drive them, in sense that they can get plenty loud, did not started clipping at any time. Also the base does come out pretty strong and fills the room, wide sound stage, very pleasant. Personally I did not experience the loud noise floor that some people have complained about in the Denon. Love the remote and how the dial turns as you go up/down the volume.
BUT, I kept listening to music and there was something missing. First I thought , well it has not "burnt in yet", on 3rd day the highs on the MA´s got a bit smoother, but that was really not the issue to begin with, it was something with in the midrange and overall energy of the music. I cannot say it did not have the power, because you could play it loud, but it sort of did not have the oomph. I played many of my favourite tracks, but none of them could "take me away" the way a hifi system should do.
I dont want to put down the Denon becasue I still think that FOR THE MONEY is pretty special, and this is probably the case of component matching.
On top of that my personal issue was that the MS´s I got were wood/mahogany colour, and wife almost got a heart attack when she saw them (coming from a Bang&Olufsen system it is like going from a picasso painting to a naked brick wall). Please keep in mind the Monitor Audio Silver 100´s are quite large boxes, for a "bookshelf speaker", there is no way you would put them on any kind of bookshelf. Plus they need some room behind. So all that considered, I put them up for sale and they were gone in few days. Returned the Denon with the store I bought it from.
Disclaimer: I have regular 12 gauge copper speaker cables with no connectors, straight on to the speakers, no special power cable, no power conditioner etc. but please do not attribute the mismatch to any of that.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

This just proves how important synergy is, regardless of star ratings. Many people come unstuck by lumping all 5 star components then find the synergy isn't right. It's always worth going the extra mile or six and demo before faffing around with a item that doesn't tug your rug...

The reason for mentioning Leema is because they major in grip, in both HFs and LFs without losing any of a beautiful natural presentation - it's quite a trick, but they have that balance just right.

(BTW, what are MS? Mordaunt Short perhaps?)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts