Monitor audio rx6 too bright?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Freddy58 said:
plastic penguin said:
Freddy58 said:
plastic penguin said:
Freddy58 said:
Anyway, back on thread. I'm thinking maybe the PM8005 would pair well? I auditioned that paired with some Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE's, which totally lacked any weight or warmth imo. I don't think it was the amp...I could of course, be wrong :oops:

Since those fledgling days I've heard the MAs with Marantz 8003 and it sounded smooth, but from memory, as your experience, lacked a little punch. Suppose that's a good thing if you listen for long periods and you don't want the presentation to be too taxing.

If I were you, go and listen to Roksan Kandy. IMO that had the opposite effect. However, in my living room, and with certain types of music, it could sound a little boisterous.

Hiya PP. You may not have picked up on the fact that I want tone controls :)

Yes yes, I know, it's not the done thing, but it's a basic proviso. Leema Pulse did I hear you say? :grin:

Saw you mentioned tone controls but thought it was a wind-up. No, the Leema doesn't have the fabled toners.

I'll have a think and come back (outside the usual protaganists: Arcam, Rotel, Marantz...)

No, not a wind-up. A bit confused. In the WHF review, the Pulse is quoted as having tone controls?

The ones that spring to mind around the 8005 budget is the Pioneer A70 and (possibly) Cambridge 851, which states it has tone controls. A BIG however, I'm not convinced they will match well with MA Silver range or the Tannoys.

Hmm, well, I've already ruled out the Tannoys. Too expensive apart from anything else. I just got the impression that they were holding back and playing it careful. Great clarity and all that....but I was left with the feeling "is that it?"

Freddy58 said:
plastic penguin said:
Freddy58 said:
plastic penguin said:
Freddy58 said:
plastic penguin said:
Freddy58 said:
Anyway, back on thread. I'm thinking maybe the PM8005 would pair well? I auditioned that paired with some Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE's, which totally lacked any weight or warmth imo. I don't think it was the amp...I could of course, be wrong :oops:

Since those fledgling days I've heard the MAs with Marantz 8003 and it sounded smooth, but from memory, as your experience, lacked a little punch. Suppose that's a good thing if you listen for long periods and you don't want the presentation to be too taxing.

If I were you, go and listen to Roksan Kandy. IMO that had the opposite effect. However, in my living room, and with certain types of music, it could sound a little boisterous.

Yes yes, I know, it's not the done thing, but it's a basic proviso. Leema Pulse did I hear you say? :grin:

Saw you mentioned tone controls but thought it was a wind-up. No, the Leema doesn't have the fabled toners.

I'll have a think and come back (outside the usual protaganists: Arcam, Rotel, Marantz...)

No, not a wind-up. A bit confused. In the WHF review, the Pulse is quoted as having tone controls?

The ones that spring to mind around the 8005 budget is the Pioneer A70 and (possibly) Cambridge 851, which states it has tone controls. A BIG however, I'm not convinced they will match well with MA Silver range or the Tannoys.

Hmm, well, I've already ruled out the Tannoys. Too expensive apart from anything else. I just got the impression that they were holding back and playing it careful. Great clarity and all that....but I was left with the feeling "is that it?"

What's plan 'B'? The MAs or something completely different?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Freddy58 said:
plastic penguin said:
Freddy58 said:
plastic penguin said:
Freddy58 said:
plastic penguin said:
Freddy58 said:

As I said, the MA's sound promising, as regards the bass, something not highlighted with the Tannoys, which I didn't like on audition. For me, I like the idea of tone controls, which at least give a small degree of adjustment to suit. Of course, at this stage it's all in the melting pot, but hopefully a bit of clarity isn't too far away. A little history

Freddy58 said:
plastic penguin said:
Freddy58 said:
plastic penguin said:
Freddy58 said:
plastic penguin said:
Freddy58 said:
plastic penguin said:
Freddy58 said:

As I said, the MA's sound promising, as regards the bass, something not highlighted with the Tannoys, which I didn't like on audition. For me, I like the idea of tone controls, which at least give a small degree of adjustment to suit. Of course, at this stage it's all in the melting pot, but hopefully a bit of clarity isn't too far away. A little history

Okay... the kenwood was a really good amp in its day.

Nearer the time book yourself into a Richer Sounds: I'm thinking of MA BX5 and Marantz 6005 or 8005. My thinking is that RX6s will probably require an amp beyond your intended budget. The BX5s should be a little less demanding on amplification.

It'll be worth listening to Arcam A19 and Yamaha's offerings. That said, can't see why the 8005 shouldn't work with RX6 or the newer Silver 6. Just get the feeling the amp, based on my experience of the 8003, isn't quite hitting the spot, although I could be wrong.

Pity I haven't got my RS6s otherwise you could've come down for a listen.

matthewpiano

Not convinced you'll like the BX5s. Very clinical speakers IMO, though you must audition for yourself.

Personally I think the Dali Zensor 5 and Q Acoustics 2050i are rather more involving and given everything you have said so far I think they have got to be worth a try. As I said above you may find the PM6005 does everything you want. I had another listen to one this week and was far more impressed than I remember being last time I heard a PM6004.

gasolin

matthewpiano said:
Not convinced you'll like the BX5s. Very clinical speakers IMO, though you must audition for yourself.

Personally I think the Dali Zensor 5 and Q Acoustics 2050i are rather more involving and given everything you have said so far I think they have got to be worth a try. As I said above you may find the PM6005 does everything you want. I had another listen to one this week and was far more impressed than I remember being last time I heard a PM6004.

Mabye the Boston Acoustics A360 then.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:

Hiya Matthew :)

When I auditioned those Tannoys, it was with both the 6005 and 8005. It started with the 6005. I commented to the guy in the shop that I thought it lacked bass, so the 8005 was introduced. This was quite a bit better, being more muscular, but still no warmth or real weight to the sound, which makes me think it was the Tannoys. You may well be right about the 6005, but I suspect the 8005 would be a better choice. I also tried some Dali Ikon 6 Mk2's, which were marginally better. I suspect that I have unrealistic expectations....

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Freddy - I know this'll sound anal but you'll need to hear a few combos for yourself, and then once you you've narrowed the list down, blag some home dems. In terms of getting the right mix 'n' match system it is a numbers game.

Hiya PP

Yeah, I know I'm going to have to try some different combos. I suppose I'm just trying to compile a list of likely contenders. I would have liked to audition the RX6's, but it seems they are no longer available, in my area at least. It's just that I saw a rather nice pair at a well-known auction site :)

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Freddy58 said:
plastic penguin said:
Freddy58 said:
plastic penguin said:
Freddy58 said:

+1

Connect a Rx (Silver) to a Accu E460 and you will see what these speakers are able to do.Not bright at all
smiley-money-mouth.gif
and more.A Hybrid like a Peachtree or Tube will also sound smooth .But they can sound ear bleading bright with unmatched devices,thats right.I would look for high damping factor and good current power delivery.

New Silver line is more forgiving and smooth in treble and less demanding in equipment.Works nice with e.x. a Roksan Caspian for my ears.

matthewpiano

If you want a balance between warmth, weight and control for reasonable money I really think you would find the Q 2050i very hard to beat. They are super speakers. Of course, there is the Concept 40s now as well if you want to spend more...

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
hifilover1979 said:
Cypher; I'd say that's the wrong information to give full stop

Not EVERYONE is expected to like all speakers but the RX6's have a superb following. I certainly dont agree that the BX series is better; having the BX5's now, listened to the BX6's a lot and previously owning the RX6's; the RX6's outclass the BX's fairly easily with abetter overall soundstage and tauter bottem end

As above the OP really does need to let them run in properly; when I had mine it took them a good 100+ hours to sound at their best and they still improved after that

I do however feel that the Denon may not be the best match for the RX6's; if the op has the budget; he could possibly look at a decent 2nd hand power amp such as the Arcam Alpha 10P to drive them in a dedicated stereo set-up but still maintain them for his fronts
What is a superb following? Well dressed Audiophiles led by some celebrities? Who cares what anyone else thinks, it's the purchaser who has to live with the speakers.

I also doubt changing the amp will make a huge difference, as generally it's the speakers that make the most difference to the sound, in a CD-based system anyway. Changing the amp or source is a bit like throwing the ballast overboard from a ship that is sinking: it'll slow the process down, but it isn't addressing the source of the problem.

Even so, your ears do adjust to the new sound, so I'd wait a while - say 3 weeks or so- before looking elsewhere. However, if you can't stand them now, change them, no point in bashing your ears with something you know you're never going to like.

The underlined above is a valid point, especially if the presentation of your new speakers is very different to the sound you had before. All the above comments about the room's acoustics, running in period etc are equally as valid, but I think half of the running-in period is with your ears.

Years ago I had some Monitor Audio R252's which had a very fullsome warm sound and it took me a good few months to adjust to the sound of the very fast and lively Ruarks I had afterwards, but in the end I much preferred the speed and detail I was hearing anew in music I thought I knew.

The trouble with allowing lots of time for your ears and the metal tweeters to adjust, is that your opportunities to return them diminish if that's your ultimate decision.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Did you try the Yamaha integrated amps?

Hiya Vlad :)

No, not yet. In fact, I've had no time in the last few weeks, as we're not only moving in the next couple of weeks, but have also been getting ready for our cruise. It was always my intention to set up my new system after the move anyway, to allow for room acoustics.

Cheers...Freddy

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Freddy.

Just had a thought: Try and find a totem dealer. One of my favourite speakers are the Arros, and match them with a flagship Arcam amp: A32, A38 and they'll rock your socks off. They image better than any around the normal retail value. Stunning yet scarily small.

Clicky

Hiya PP.

There's an Audio T here in Bristol. I don't know if they actually have those in stock/for demo, but thanks for the recommendation :)

steve4232

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I've not heard RX6's but I currently have RX8's and prior to these I had RS8's. The RS's were used but just 10 months old and I reckon they had not been "run in" when I bought them. They were a little bright to my ears and the sound was a bit edgy in the highs. However I never really noticed exactly when it happened but one day I realised that they sounded very smooth and clear but without any of that edginess. I guessI had run them in at this point.

My current RX8's were ex-demos but although they presumably wouldn't have had much use they have never sounded bright from the word go. A lot depends on the other system components. My amps are about as neutral as you can get.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts