Monitor Audio RX6, RX Centre, RXFX, RXW12. What amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Following the reviews from What HiFi and lots of demos at the likes of Superfi and Sevenoaks I have decided to purchase the RX6, RX Centre, RXFX and RXW12. The system sounded amazing in the demo room with a top of the range amp. I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR609 amp.

Would you advise me buying a better amp and if so which one would you recommend? Thanks

A

Anonymous

If it helps I listen to music and watch movies about 50/50. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Both kind of. When I'm watching films nice and exciting and whilst listening to music a bit laid back. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Both kind of. When I'm watching films nice and exciting and whilst listening to music a bit laid back. Thanks

A

Anonymous

Thanks David. I pick my speakers up at the end of the month so might see if I can demo a Marantz and Denon.

Hi Scoterz147

Welcome to the WHF Forum :)

Your budget for an AV amplifier is?

In the meantime and fwiw, Monitor Audio speakers pair superbly with Yamaha AV amplification :star:

Btw, Anthem AV amplification is also worth bearing in mind as i've found their MRX 300 and MRX 700 amplifiers to also work a treat with the Silver RX6 AV12 speaker package :rockout:

Out of interest what finish have chosen for your speakers please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your help Rick. I'm a bit of a novice with this kind of thing and everything I've learned has been from sites like this.

I was going for the black gloss finish but eventually decided on walnut. They look really nice in the flesh and the money I saved (£400) I've put towards speaker wire and jumpers.

My budget is about £1200. Thanks.

Hi Scoter147

Thanks for your reply.

Nice one. Silver RX6 AV12 speakers also look great in walnut finish 8)

With Yamaha's current Aventage 10 Series on its way out then you should be able to find the excellent Aventage RX-A3010 AV receiver within your budget. Alternatively Anthem's MRX 300 AV receiver is also worth a look :)

Btw, if you haven't already picked up accessories then i'll recommend using the links supplied with the speakers and for speaker cables also consider using standard 79 strand OFC or at a push 500 strand OFC. I feel these speaker cables will be more then good enough for your speakers and ones which should also cost very little money. Fwiw, i use standard 79 & 500 strand OFC speaker cables with speakers & electronics such as Monitor Audio's Platinum PL300AV, Chord Electronics DSP8000/Plinius Odean, etc.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi Rick

Thanks for the advice. You could write all I know about speaker cables on a stamp! I'll be getting the 500 strand if I can afford it. If they're good enough for the PL300 they're good enough for me. How much would I be looking to pay per metre for them?

Thanks again.

Hi Scoterz147

Your welcome.

Yes, these standard speaker cables are also good enough for speakers and electronics such as PL300AV, Chord Electronics SPM3005, Anthem MRX 700, etc. Save your time and your money. Anyway, you should be able to pick up these standard speaker cables from places such as local electrical stores for little £/m.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi Rick

Thanks again for the info. Think I'll be going for the 500 strand. I pick up everything 2 weeks today. Can't wait. Thanks.

James

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Scoterz147 said:
Thanks for the advice. You could write all I know about speaker cables on a stamp!

You don't need to know anything about cables to know what you like the sound of. I'd recommend trying two different cables to see if you hear a beneficial difference. If not, go for the cheapest. If you can hear a difference, it might be worth trying a few more.

A

Anonymous

Hi David

Thanks for the info. I'm picking everything up a week on Friday and haven't got time to test the cables whilst I'm there. I also need to tell them what cables I'm choosing soon as they said they would terminate the ends for me ready for when I pick everything up.

I'm prepared to spend £15/m. Thanks.

James

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
This is an easy one, with Monitos Audio you have one amp that is a no brainer... YAMAHA !!!

The model will depend on your budget!

And welcome! :cheers:

Hi Hi-FiOutlaw

Yes, as i've often said Monitor Audio speakers + Yamaha AV amplification form a great match (time after time) :rockout:

In my experience Yamaha AV amplification inspires confidence :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
+1 for Yamaha + Monitor Audio

If I were you I would go for the 3010

To share my own experience, a few years ago I bought my rxv2065 with MA Br2 5.1 with my listening 50/50 movies and music. I went with a more expensive receiver to get better SQ when listening to music. For me the receiver was not good enough with stereo music. I'm not telling you that you will think the same but just make sure you have a good listen to CDs as well as movies and make sure your happy before you buy. Hopefully you will love the 3010 and I imagine it will give your RX set up what it needs to sound amazing with movies and hopefully good enough for music too.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
This is an easy one, with Monitos Audio you have one amp that is a no brainer... YAMAHA !!!

The model will depend on your budget!

And welcome! :cheers:

Hi Hi-FiOutlaw

Yes, as i've often said Monitor Audio speakers + Yamaha AV amplification form a great match (time after time) :rockout:

In my experience Yamaha AV amplification inspires confidence :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Yes they do! :grin:

7/8 years ago i fell in love for my AV kit Monitor Audio B4 system and Yamaha RX V750. 8)

Ben K. said:
+1 for Yamaha + Monitor Audio

If I were you I would go for the 3010

Hi Ben K.

Indeed
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts