Monitor Audio RX1 - A home audition....

zappa 100

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Borrowed a pair of the RX1's in Walnut from those awfully nice chaps at The Audio Works, Cheadle ,Stockport.
They passed the H.I.D* test though the silver/ white bass unit was described as "weird".
System was the same as listed below and the speakers were placed firing across a 14' x 12' ,suspended wooden floored lounge from fireplace to sofa.
They were listened to with and without foam bungs and i finally settled on a compromise of one in and one out ,due to the different distances to a rear wall caused by alcoves and a bay window.

Soundwise ,i really liked the overall balance of the RX1 's and enjoyed all the music i played on them which ranged from Deep Purple to Sade, Human League to Mozart.
However ,i didnt really hear much more detail than i already obtain from the Ruark Icon's and i felt that vocals weren't separated from the mix as much,making front to back depth of soundstage to seem reduced.

The RX1's were great fun and looked fantastic but weren't the improvement in detail,focus and transparency over the 12 year old Icon's i was looking for, though this may be down to the fact that they have rear firing ports and don't work as well as the Ruarks in front of alcoves and fireplaces.

Next,i intend to audition either the Focal Labs 705V or 806v(the former the better size,the latter the better finish though neither can be bi amped) or
try a Rotel RA 1520 amp with the Ruarks which could be upgraded to a bi amp set up at a later date when funds allow.

*H.I.D - her indoors

Messiah

emotion-21.gif
Now waiting for the next installment....
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts