Monitor Audio MA200

TomC

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

recently I become owner of those little beauties (in sonic sence). Unfortunally I can not find any info about them on web. Can anybody help to get some tehnical info, year of production, price range....

Regards from Croatia,

T

They don't look like genuine Monitor Audio speakers but clones.

I'm a big MA fan and I've never seen a genuine Monitor Audio speaker with just MA 200. The only 200's I'm aware of over the years is the GX and PL ranges, and they are big floorstanders.

They might well sound good but IMHO they don't look the real McCoy.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I have these odd looking vintage MA's in my local ads.

b9JgK9d.jpg

Monitor Audio beginings in the 70s, the era of legendary British broadcast monitors before flat earth revolution took place.

TomC

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
"I'm a big MA fan and I've never seen a genuine Monitor Audio speaker with just MA 200" ..I must be honest I never thougt that fake industry is also presented in Hi fi world..but on the other hand...obviusly it is :) This statment motivated me to go little bit more in fake industry... I don't think that 300 € speaker is worh of copies. If it is a clone..than I admire those who made it :)... specially since spekares are old at least 15 years..and still working. I own B&W 302 (from 1996) and I must say that those MA had superb soundstage...I could not detect left/right spekare with closed eyes..sound was just coming from center... change was realy..how to say..impossible not to notice...same amplifier..same place to listen...

I also look little bit more on used drivers ( in next step I will open them)...but on facade...box is in range of MA 301...all elements..grill..mdf box..banana conectors etc...only difference between 301 and mine are used midrange/wofer driver and I found this in one online store.. .than I went through that famous tweeter..and visually it is original..here are ones available on market..and here is that in my speaker..

In minetime guy from MA contacted me..and I am waiting for his answer...so this short saga about this little buties will end soon.

Hopfully good for me :)

TomC

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
I mentiod B&W 302 becouse I own them :) and could compare them side by side. I don't think that fake loudspekers will sound that good, thats was my intention...

Since I am from Croatia, I honestly i don't know what to think of Italian perception of their own brands ;-) i can only say that our brand of speakers http://www.audioepilog.eu/ has good perception between audiphils :)

insider9

TomC said:
I mentiod B&W 302 becouse I own them :) and could compare them side by side. I don't think that fake loudspekers will sound that good, thats was my intention...

Since I am from Croatia, I honestly i don't know what to think of Italian perception of their own brands ;-) i can only say that our brand of speakers http://www.audioepilog.eu/ has good perception between audiphils :)
My sincere apologies! Somehow, when I read your OP the other day I remembered it incorrectly. Nice memories holidaying in your beautiful country :) every bit as hot as Italy that's perhaps why I made the mistake.

TomC

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
No problem.

I noticed that almost all info about those MA I posted are coming from Italy.

...and honestly I would be mutch hapier if I could compare my own Sonus Faber...with those MA :)

TomC

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
"Dont you get the feeling looking at those pictures that they dont make them like they did back then?"

I can compare builty qulity of B&W 302 and 685 s2 with this MA 200...and I can only say that I am little bit disapoited with B&W...but obvius marketing philosophy did leave impact on quality of used materials....not only on drivers...

TomC

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
https://www.gumtree.com/p/speakers/monitor-audio-monitor-2-gold/1225162062

From my perspective....if I remove sticker with name on bannana plugs...

TomC

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Waiting for reply from MA a opened speakers..I did not managed to pull drivers but I took the crossover

Crossover used in mine speakers...I don't know to much about this but I found that this capacitors and resistors are used in Monitor Audio Silver line of speakers...

insider9

Fingers crossed, Monitor Audio are usually good with answering emails, etc.

Looking at that crossover it does look like a mess to me. Perhaps, that's how they looked backed then, wouldn't know.

insider9 said:
Fingers crossed, Monitor Audio are usually good with answering emails, etc.

Looking at that crossover it does look like a mess to me. Perhaps, that's how they looked backed then, wouldn't know.
Yes, they were pretty awful insides back then. They look genuine to me. Monitor Audio was still a cottage industry back then.

The swanky finish we expect now on budget items is thanks to Chinese manufacturers, sadly.

The gumtree pics look original too; they have that jaded look that speaks of being twenty plus years old!

TomC

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Finally I get official response from one very pleasant guy (Thx Chris). Obviously they are originals, even they have no specific info about them, only a couple of references.

They have some thougts that they could be special edition which former owner (Mo Iqbal) really liked to produce. " He would make special edition speakers, but not have any literature"

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TomC said:
They have some thougts that they could be special edition which former owner (Mo Iqbal) really liked to produce. " He would make special edition speakers, but not have any literature"

I have some Mo Iqbal, Robin Marshell designed R852/MDs, which are beautifully made and whose sound I prefer to current MA speakers.

TRENDING THREADS