Monitor Audio GX200

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just read a review of the Monitor Audio GX200 online. It received 4/5 stars but I felt that they weren't entirely impressed by it. They also stated it lacked some bass authority and warmth and can sound bright.

I will be waiting for What Hifi's reviews of the GX range but very interesting nonetheless.

MA said:
Just read a review of the Monitor Audio GX200 online. It received 4/5 stars but I felt that they weren't entirely impressed by it. They also stated it lacked some bass authority and warmth and can sound bright.

I will be waiting for What Hifi's reviews of the GX range but very interesting nonetheless.

May be sage to hear them before coming to any stonewall conclusion.

MA said:

Hi MA

I've not found the GX200 bright at all. I've got a pair playing at the moment and the sound has enough warmth with a weighty and solid bass :)

Btw, ive heard GX300's but these will be availabe to UK dealers in due course.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. What have you got them hooked up to by the way?

Hi MA

I've used the GX200's with Brio R, Nait XS, NAC 202/NAP 200, SIA2-150 MK2 and the Hiato. At the moment they're playing in the background as part of GX200 AV15 package which are being driven by a Plinius Odean.

Btw, what source, amplifier and speakers do you currently use?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Exactly. But I brought this review up to find out if anyone else has listened to them yet. I am obviously yet to listen to them.

Thanks for the reply. :)

A

Anonymous

Hi Rick,

I currently run GS60’s, a GSLCR and GSFX through my Yamaha Z11
in a 7.1 configuration with my Marantz UD8004 which works fine for me. As a
family with young kids we use our system 90% films. I do enjoy listening to
music through it in stereo though when I can but a dealer put a pair of
3D glasses on my kids and played them a film and now they want 3D indoors now
so it is time upgrade my amp and source to make it compatible (might put the 8004 upstairs). But my wife and I love the Z11 which made my jaw drop as she has never been interested in home audio before. But the Z11 is a real charmer and I love it. I have always liked my gs series but when I have the time I like to listen to whatever is currently available. And I have had my eyes on the GX for a while now. They do look the part.

Can I ask what you initial impressions are of the GX range so far and do you know if there will be a replacement for the yamaha Z11 in the near future.

Thanks.

MA said:
Hi Rick, I currently run GS60’s, a GSLCR and GSFX through my Yamaha Z11 in a 7.1 configuration with my Marantz UD8004 which works fine for me. As a family with young kids we use our system 90% films. I do enjoy listening to music through it in stereo though when I can but a dealer put a pair of 3D glasses on my kids and played them a film and now they want 3D indoors now so it is time upgrade my amp and source to make it compatible (might put the 8004 upstairs). But my wife and I love the Z11 which made my jaw drop as she has never been interested in home audio before. But the Z11 is a real charmer and I love it. I have always liked my gs series but when I have the time I like to listen to whatever is currently available. And I have had my eyes on the GX for a while now. They do look the part. Can I ask what you initial impressions are of the GX range so far and do you know if there will be a replacement for the yamaha Z11 in the near future. Thanks.

Hi MA

Thanks for your reply.

The GX speakers are excellent and better the already impressive GS range by quite a margin in pretty much every area. The highlight for me is the Ribbon HF unit. Although the GX Ribbon HF unit doesn't quite have the resolution, speed, subtlety or the overall accuracy of the Platinum series HF unit (the finest HF unit i've heard to date btw) however the GX Ribbon HF unit does still project a highly focused, potent and detailed sound with excellent height, width and dispersion whilst remaining natural :bigsmile: The GX speakers have been well worth the wait and i think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the advances Monitor Audio have made over the GS range. The the gulf to the Platinum series has been reduced :) A combination of GX speakers and the DSP-Z11 should be superb :party:

Fwiw, GX speakers, Brio R, 8200CDQ and Hautonga are so far my stand out products of 2011.

I used to sell the DSP-Z11 and i'll highly recommend that you carry on using it for a while yet as it is still a mighty amplifier J) As ear has also suggested the best thing to do for 3D is to go for a player with two HDMI outputs.

Btw, there i have no firm news as to if and when Yamaha will have a replacement for the DSP-Z11.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Yamaha RX-Z11 is a high-end HT amp but I am wondering if its sound qualities are good enough to take advantage of a upgrade of loudspeakers. My guess is that Monitor Audio GS60 is just more than enough for Z11. Unless MA is thinking of getting some high end stereo electronics, i.e. integrated o separate stereo amp plus CD/SACD player, in my opinion the replacement of GS60 by GX200 is worthless.

By the way, I've never found Monitor Audio's top range loudspeakers overbright. They are bright in a good sense. The excess of brightness may come out if they are hooked up to overbright mid/entry-level electronics. Together with well balanced (neutral / warm) partners Monitor Audio's Studio, Gold Reference, GS and GX Series loudspeakers sound just right.

A

Anonymous

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the great reply. Definitely going to have a listen to the GX now. Will keep the Z11 for as long as possible as you said.

Again, thanks for taking time to reply.

Many thanks.

Audio Maniac said:
Yamaha RX-Z11 is a high-end HT amp but I am wondering if its sound qualities are good enough to take advantage of a upgrade of loudspeakers. My guess is that Monitor Audio GS60 is just more than enough for Z11. Unless MA is thinking of getting some high end stereo electronics, i.e. integrated o separate stereo amp plus CD/SACD player, in my opinion the replacement of GS60 by GX200 is worthless.

By the way, I've never found Monitor Audio's top range loudspeakers overbright. They are bright in a good sense. The excess of brightness may come out if they are hooked up to overbright mid/entry-level electronics. Together with well balanced (neutral / warm) partners Monitor Audio's Studio, Gold Reference, GS and GX Series loudspeakers sound just right.

Hi Audio Maniac

I've used the DSP-Z11 extensively with the Platinum Series. The DSP-Z11 coped with the PL300 AV speaker system without breaking into a sweat. Therefore i feel the DSP-Z11 should be more than good enough for the GX speakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MA said:
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the great reply. Definitely going to have a listen to the GX now. Will keep the Z11 for as long as possible as you said.

Again, thanks for taking time to reply.

Many thanks.

Hi MA

Your welcome.

Nice one. I am glad you're going to hold on to your DSP-Z11 J) and that you're also going to audition the GX speakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
cheyworth said:
Just for info the GS series are going for very low prices on ebay. A pair of GS60 just sold for £664 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320724386139&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Are the GX200 really worth 3 1/2 times the price?

For many, no they won't be worth 3 1/2 times the price - having said that, that price is for a used pairyon a new pair of GS60's will cost you £1k or more, so a better comparison is whether the GX200's are worth twice the price. You get more for your money physically with the GS60, but I feel the midrange and treble are far better on the GX200's. The GX series seems to have an openness and detail to the midrange that the GS series didn't have, which I think is down to the ribbon tweeter and smaller, lighter midrange driver. I also think the GX200 is a better balanced speaker.

A

Anonymous

I used to own Monitor Audio GS10 and they were very bright but might not sound bright with some brands of hifi.

A

Anonymous

I've tried Monitor Audio's top range with Luxman, Marantz and Accuphase electronics and the result was always nice.

On other hand, I previously had a mid-priced Creek 5250SE integrated amp hooked up to my MA Studio 6 and my system did sound a bit bright. So, who's the guilty? I think the brightness came from the amp.

A

Anonymous

Just had a very brief demo of the GX 200s as I'm thinking of upgrading from my current MA RS8s. I listened (briefly) to them on the end of Cyrus CDxSE and 8XPd (I'll be using the Cyrus DAC xp+, and Mono Xs). The step up from the RS8s was immediately obvious. The mid to upper range of this speaker is delightful, really smooth and sparkly - bright, yes, but definately not harsh, with a very open presentation. The lower end was much more tightly controlled than the RS8s, and with no apparent boominess (which I get with my RS8s). Overall, they feel really well balanced. The most impressive thing for me was the smoothness of vocals - superbly presented. The build quality is exceptional, and knocks the socks of anything else near its price range.

Any negatives? Not really a criticism, but I could hear that the speakers had much more to give, so will probably perform much better when I get the monoblocks and DAC XP+ on them. The WHF review of the GX 50 stated that those speakers will not cover up harshness, but neither will they cover it up (they are very transparent speakers). I couldn't put it any better for these. Very much looking forward to a proper demo.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You'll find it an even bigger difference once they're on the end of your Mono X's! The 8xpd will be sufficient, but they'll sound much more dynamic and solid on the end of the Mono X's. You're in for a treat :)

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
charlesnancarrow said:
Just had a very brief demo of the GX 200s as I'm thinking of upgrading from my current MA RS8s. I listened (briefly) to them on the end of Cyrus CDxSE and 8XPd (I'll be using the Cyrus DAC xp+, and Mono Xs). The step up from the RS8s was immediately obvious. The mid to upper range of this speaker is delightful, really smooth and sparkly - bright, yes, but definately not harsh, with a very open presentation.

This just shows how subjective the whole thing is.

Last night I spent a few hours at Musicraft in Derby (thanks Rick) and listened to the GX200s and ATC SCM40s with a Plinius amp.

For me the MAs were so bright I felt my ears were being flayed. The bass felt a bit deeper than the ATCs but in all other respects I found the ATCs a more pleasing sound for me.

We listened to a mix including Stacey Kent, Alison Krauss, Dave Brubeck and some orchestral pieces including Also Sprach Zarathustra. Found the violins uncomfortable through the MAs. Dave Brubeck's piano was just sublime throught the ATCs

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
4092680623_5da573542f_o.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts