Monitor Audio BX2 vs Rega RS1 vs Wharfedale 10.2

jgma1975

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Ive found those three speakers almost the same price. I need a hight sensibility ( I supose ) because I do listen music in low volume .I change my B&W 602 S3 because i feel them very bright. Ive tried the wharfedale 9.1 and i like them but in the volume I listen feel that the speaker is not enough excited.The room size is 200 feet2 but i listen 8 feets away from speakers.Which you preffer and why?Thanks.

Ive found those three speakers almost the same price. I need a hight sensibility ( I supose ) because I do listen music in low volume .I change my B&W 602 S3 because i feel them very bright. Ive tried the wharfedale 9.1 and i like them but in the volume I listen feel that the speaker is not enough excited.

The room size is 200 feet2 but i listen 8 feets away from speakers.Which you preffer and why?

Thanks.

jgma1975

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

the rest of my system is :

Amplifier Kora Explorer 90 SI ( Hybrid with 2 ECC81 in prev ) 60 w at 8 ohms

Nad 515bee CD .

I like listen rock ( Thin Lizzy, Jhetro Tull, Porcupine tree, A perfect Circle, Zeppelin ) and some Blues.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Out of those 3, Rega RS1 without a shadow of a doubt, should be lovely with that Hybrid amp.

You could also see if there are any S/H R3's (~£250) or possibly even some Ex-Demo RS3's may creep into your budget.

I have owned the R1, R3 and R7 and their best features are integration between the drivers, bass speed and open/fast midrange.

The BX2's I have heard sounded 'boom and tizz' IMO and the wharfedales (10.1) far too shut in in the mid-range.

jgma1975

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your information. I cant use a floorstanding speaker. Sure that for room size would be better.If I miss some bass, do you think is a good idea get a subwoofer?

Thanks for your information. I cant use a floorstanding speaker.

Sure that for room size would be better.

If I miss some bass, do you think is a good idea get a subwoofer?

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Interesting to see an amp with ECC81s. You probably know this but these tubes can be rather microphonic and I recall from 40+ years ago testing batches of them to sift out the microphonic ones (using the highly scientific method of sticking them in a high-gain circuit and tapping the top with the handle of a screwdriver :) ). Worthwhile scouting around for some top quality ones?

Chris

jgma1975

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Interesting to see an amp with ECC81s. You probably know this but these tubes can be rather microphonic and I recall from 40+ years ago testing batches of them to sift out the microphonic ones (using the highly scientific method of sticking them in a high-gain circuit and tapping the top with the handle of a screwdriver :) ). Worthwhile scouting around for some top quality ones?

Chris

Didnt Know about microphonic, but i use a dumpers and because the low volumen and the speakers away from the amp i have never felt this. I only tell you that I listen the music very fine dimensioned and positioned even I have never used an expensive speaker.Thanks

Didnt Know about microphonic, but i use a dumpers and because the low volumen and the speakers away from the amp i have never felt this. I only tell you that I listen the music very fine dimensioned and positioned even I have never used an expensive speaker.

I must tell you that Im spanish and i cant describe correctly using the right adjetives. I cant advise you to buy one because im still trying to match it rightly. ( 3 diferetns pairs of tubes bought at the moment FE )

Thanks

jgma1975

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
I've been told that Psvane make some of the best new ECC81 tubes :)

I have used Sylvania 3x mica, Nos Mullrad and Electroharmonix ( for me the best of those three are the Sylvania ). And yes, I have listen the same about Psvane. I´ll hope some day buy a pair, but you know " the crisis ".

Regards.

jgma1975

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
It's not on your list, but how about some Audio Note AX1s. Aside from that, the RS1s would also get my vote.

I dont know were to buy here in MAdrid. Sure tha could be better than Rega but would be at home for 220 Pounds ?

Regards and thanks.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The BX2 is a fantastic speaker IMO. Much better than the Wharfedales Diamond series.

In the right system they sound warm, detailed, lots of air around instruments and voices. The sound is so accurate but still not clinical sounding. You really wonder if it can get any better if you hear the BX2 speakers.

Great, great speakers.

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The Rega are a clear step up from the other two, and a lot better than the Wharfedale and definitely not fussy about placement. But you should listen to all three first before deciding.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts