Monitor Audio BX2 - upgrade from BR1?

JC1982

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I currently have an Onkyo cr725 micro using MA BR1 speakers. Having just read WHF's group test I am seriously considering upgrading my speakers to BX2s.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard both and could comment on whether this is a worthwhile upgrade to make? I will probably upgrade the micro to separates (Marantz 6003 or NAD c355/c326 perhaps) at some point but for now I am looking to upgrade the sound from the Onkyo.

I have the speakers wall mounted and pointing slightly downwards (can't fit speaker stands in the room at the moment) but with plenty of space either side.

Thanks!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Moving up from BR1's to BR2's will give you a fuller, deeper sound due to the larger bass driver and internal cabinet volume. This also helps power hamdling, but this won't be an issue with most mini systems, but will be if you move on to separates. They will fill larger rooms better, and you will hear bass better at lower volumes.

Moving to the BX2's, these sound a little more like the old RS series tonally - a little more exciting, slightly more forward treble. I did do a quick comparison between the BR2 and BX2, but wasn't bowled over by the differences, but then the BX2's hadn't fully run in. If you're going to change to a larger speaker, then yes, I'd recommend the BX2's, as moving to the BX1's wouldn't be a worthwhile change for the cost involved.

JC1982

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the input David, much appreciated.

Sounds as though the BX2s would sound fuller (due to their size and bass driver) and perhaps a bit more detailed/exciting at the top end.

AudioPlaya

Mar 28, 2009
Visit site
Agree with David the BX1s probably aren't worth upgrading for but the BR2s are worth a listen, especially given that a few dealers are doing £162 delivered, incredible bang-per-buck really, totally undercutting the price-hikes of '09 - these went from £200>£230>£162
emotion-2.gif

Like you I needed speakers that could slot into different systems as I upgrade. Just auditioned the BX2 vs BR2, I ended up buying the BR2's which are just running in nicely. More neutrality across the midrange was the most obvious improvement on the BX2s along with slightly more detail, both fine meaty "big" sounding pairs of speakers, didn't like the look of the BX2's, though I know some will swoon
emotion-41.gif
in the end the sound improvements didn't seem vast, that coupled with the great price and superior looks of the older model seduced me.

I think the fact that one of the BX2's main competitors are cut-price BR2's amuses me somehow
emotion-1.gif

JC1982

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice AudioPlaya, interesting that you couldn't hear a great deal of difference between the BR2 and BX2 either. As you rightly point out the outgoing BR2s are great value right now as well!!

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
More neutrality across the midrange was the most obvious improvement on the BX2s along with slightly more detail

this sounds good!

TRENDING THREADS