Monitor Audio Apex or Monitor Audio Silver RX8 AV12 Package

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys, im new to these forums, so please forgive me for asking something that may have been addressed already, I know there was a similar thread but it didnt quite answer this question in particular.

Im looking to put together a system and so far have chosen the reciever (Pioneer LX83) The dilemma im having is choosing the speakers. I have been told to get the RX8 speaker package over the Apex package (by Peter Tyson). However others like Sevenoaks say the opposite. I have listened to the Apex on the LX83, but getting a demo of the RX8 is proving tricky. So I do not know if they are as good or better. Opinion seems to be divided on this and it would be nice to hear what you guys have to say too :) I am not sure if its just salesmenship trying to get me to buy one over the other....Im pulling my hair out!! It also didnt help when whathifi gave the RX8 4 out of 5 stars.

My room is 14x12 and my passion is Blu-ray and gaming. I do like Music too but its not a major factor.

Thanks in advance

scene

The apex is a great sub/sat AV speaker set. The RX range is a better all-rounder, if you have the space. I think that unless you ke lots and lots of bass, the rx6 av12 set may be better suited to your room. You should be able to get a demo of an rx6 av12 and lx83 and the yamaha at Sevenoaks.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for that breakdown. That was more then i could have hoped for :)

Yes the Arcam AVR400 is also very good I hear. However speaking to Peter Tyson they stil recommend the LX83 like yourself, this is only because the Arcam is traditionally a more musical receiver and the LX83 will have a better driver. Of course sampling the Arcam would be good and then I could report back on my findings.

Thanks for that :)

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Dali Ikon mk2 5.1 setup
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Duaplex,

I recently was buying a package and looked at a number of speaker amp options. My room is very similar size wise to yours and i would make the following observations:

1. I believe the RX6 AV12 was a slightly better overall over the apex package however i went for the apex as i felt it was more than capable for my room, i am using mainly for movies and of course they look fantastic.

2. I tried both packages with the lx83 / 73, onkyo 808 and yamaha 3067. i didn't like the onkyo so it was down to the pioneer and yamaha. I thought the pioneer amp displayed amazing detail however when compared to the yamaha amp i found that the sound was far warmer and i fully agree with rick at musicraft that it is a much better match for the apex speakers and easier to live with (i ended up buying from musicraft).

3. I would seriously suggest you audition both before buying (ideally one after the other) as there is definately a noticeable difference in presentation - which one you prefer is down to personal preference - for me the yamaha / apex combination was better than the pioneer / apex.

Also note one of the shops i went to tried to sell the pioneer hard saying that you can adjust the levels in the pioneer to give it a warmer feel - i still felt it didn't quite sound as nicce as the yamaha. You really need to listen to both

hope that helps

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts