Monitor Audio Apex - Demo

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
BigBoss,

Yes, you are probably right. I tend to like full sized speakers, hence my affinity for my current EPOS ELS system and the B&W 685 Theatre.

The MA Radius and Apex series would most definitely be attractive for someone not looking for such a bulky option, I would assume.

Ronald

michael hoy

Ronald Archiebald:
Michael Hoy,

Would you say that these were far superior to the B&W 685 Theatre? It's more than double the price!

Ronald

Ronald,

I have not heard the 685's, I do not have the space for anything bigger than the Apex, therefore have not auditioned anything larger.

michael hoy

BB,

Do you have the sub spiked or unspiked, also is your floor solid or wood.

I have a wood floor with a 60cm space below, and have the sub on a piece of granite with the rubber feet on.

My previous sub would boom through the floor before using the granite, it only had an 8" driver, this being a 12" driver I thought might be worse but I think with the difference in technology and the better spec it is all together more integrated.

michael hoy:

BB,

Do you have the sub spiked or unspiked, also is your floor solid or wood.

I have a wood floor with a 60cm space below, and have the sub on a piece of granite with the rubber feet on.

My previous sub would boom through the floor before using the granite, it only had an 8" driver, this being a 12" driver I thought might be worse but I think with the difference in technology and the better spec it is all together more integrated.

It's unspiked with rubber feet on a carpeted floor, michael hoy. This sub is absolutely awesome, isn't it?

You've got a great set of speakers!
emotion-21.gif

michael hoy

Many thanks BB, They even sound great in stereo mode, I did contemplate a setup like yours, but my wife really liked the Apex and despite the extra money wanted the Apex.

The sub is awesome not only in power but in appearance and size (56lbs), it is very refined in it's output when needed but does go with a thump as well.

michael hoy: Many thanks BB, They even sound great in stereo mode, I did contemplate a setup like yours, but my wife really liked the Apex and despite the extra money wanted the Apex.

The sub is awesome not only in power but in appearance and size (56lbs), it is very refined in it's output when needed but does go with a thump as well.

TBH, I too would probably have gone for the Apex if it was on sale last year. Looks were not that important for me (my front & centre speakers were being housed in a cabinet) but I've been told that even performance wise, they're better than Radius HD. I haven't compared them myself.

A comparison will be interesting, because the Apex speakers seem no larger in size than the R90HD. I don't know how they compare against the R225HD, R250HD & R270HD. Did you compare them?

michael hoy

bigboss:michael hoy: Many thanks BB, They even sound great in stereo mode, I did contemplate a setup like yours, but my wife really liked the Apex and despite the extra money wanted the Apex.

TBH, I too would probably have gone for the Apex if it was on sale last year. Looks were not that important for me (my front & centre speakers were being housed in a cabinet) but I've been told that even performance wise, they're better than Radius HD. I haven't compared them myself.

A comparison will be interesting, because the Apex speakers seem no larger in size than the R90HD. I don't know how they compare against the R225HD, R250HD & R270HD. Did you compare them?

Sadly no, the demo I had arranged for the Radius had to be cancelled, so the apex were the first ones we auditioned and liked them so much sonically as well as aesthetically, I did intend to audition some Anthony Gallo Due speakers, but I do not think the cost would be worth it, I will only have about £1200 for a new amp in October / November time.

The Due are £745 per speaker.

Edit: As Big Boss points out in the next thread, I did mean the Strada.

michael hoy: Sadly no, the demo I had arranged for the Radius had to be cancelled, so the apex were the first ones we auditioned and liked them so much sonically as well as aesthetically, I did intend to audition some Anthony Gallo Due speakers, but I do not think the cost would be worth it, I will only have about £1200 for a new amp in October / November time.

The Due are £745 per speaker.

Interesting......never heard about the Anthony Gallo Due before! They do look very nice! They're cheaper at Peter Tyson.

A

Anonymous

I demoed the Apex today, against the radius HD, I have the RX1 & RXC at the moment, but my other half wants me to change for asthetics reasons as we are re-decorating.

Tried the Radius & Apex with a mix of material, with the AW12, PV1 and ASW610, Amp wise Pioneer LX72, VSX2020 & VSX920.

And Although there was a difference between the front 3 of the Apex range and 3 x R250HD's, in my opinion it was not a large enough gap for me to justify the additional outlay.

I can't fit the VSX2020 or LX52/72 in my current cabinet, I went with the 3 x 250HDs and a VSX920, next up is the PV1 me thinks.

I came home and replaced the RX range with RadiusHD, my wife has a smile on her face.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I have the MA 225HD x3 and MA R90HD in a 7.1 set up.I use the Denon 3310. Sounds great for both music and movies. The MA 370 Radius sub is great but toying with the idea of upgrading to maybe the sub from the Apex system. I can get another 370 Radius sub for about £400 ex demo. Should I do this and have 2 370 subs as my sub is only 6 months old or save for a single sub and ebay mine? Any views guys

Many thanks

In my opinion, a single sub (AW12) will be superior to 2 smaller subs. If you look hard around, you can actually get the brilliant RSW12 subwoofer (which has now been discontinued) brand new for £299 which, performance wise, is not much inferior to the AW12. Most of the shops may have sold out. I remember canada16 (another forum member) selling his 370 Radius for the RSW12 & he was pleased with the improvement in performance.

A

Anonymous

bigboss:In my opinion, a single sub (AW12) will be superior to 2 smaller subs. If you look hard around, you can actually get the brilliant RSW12 subwoofer (which has now been discontinued) brand new for £299 which, performance wise, is not much inferior to the AW12. Most of the shops may have sold out. I remember canada16 (another forum member) selling his 370 Radius for the RSW12 & he was pleased with the improvement in performance.

emotion-2.gif
It was like night and day, The RSW12 was so so much better than the 370HD.

TRENDING THREADS