Monitor Audio Apex - Demo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

michael hoy

strapped for cash:
Was cheking out prices on this system last night and it occurred to me that you could buy the centre and satellite speakers without the accompanying sub, then add a B&W PV1, for less than the cost of the full Apex 5.1 system.

As the only minor criticism of the Apex 5.1 package in the WHF review was that the timing of the sub wasn't perfect for music, the MA satellite + B&W sub option might be a really good proposition.

Good thought, but I think the PV1 is more expensive than the Apex sub.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
michael hoy:strapped for cash:
Was cheking out prices on this system last night and it occurred to me that you could buy the centre and satellite speakers without the accompanying sub, then add a B&W PV1, for less than the cost of the full Apex 5.1 system.

As the only minor criticism of the Apex 5.1 package in the WHF review was that the timing of the sub wasn't perfect for music, the MA satellite + B&W sub option might be a really good proposition.

Good thought, but I think the PV1 is more expensive than the Apex sub.

Well in that case, it's cheaper to buy the individual components of the Apex 5.1 system seperately than as a complete package, which also sounds like a good idea! Can't imagine why MA would price individual components more competitively than the system as whole though.

strapped for cash: As the only minor criticism of the Apex 5.1 package in the WHF review was that the timing of the sub wasn't perfect for music, the MA satellite + B&W sub option might be a really good proposition.

Is it? This is not what I understand by the review:

When the ensemble is underpinned by the stentorian efforts of the AW-12 subwoofer, a compact yet muscular bass-maker, the result is sound that more than matches Monitor Audio's lofty aspirations.

It's muscular when called upon, but articulate and beautifully integrated too, with little audible sign of the crossover from speakers to subwoofer.

As a result, it plays music almost as well as it relays film sound, capturing both vocal intonation and instrumental detail with relish.

Bass integration does unravel a little in the face of the very fastest rhythmic shifts, but seldom does the effect jar.

I've got the AW-12 sub since 1 year now, & I can say that it's awesome in every sense, both with movies & music. I don't see much point in mixing and matching brands when you've got such a superb sub.

Sevenoaks usually offers 15-30% discount on speakers when you buy an AV receiver from them. This offer was visible until a couple of weeks back. They've now redesigned the website, so can't find it now. Maybe worth checking with them. I got a 15% discount on my speakers & subwoofer last year.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss:
strapped for cash: As the only minor criticism of the Apex 5.1 package in the WHF review was that the timing of the sub wasn't perfect for music, the MA satellite + B&W sub option might be a really good proposition.

Is it? This is not what I understand by the review:

When the ensemble is underpinned by the stentorian efforts of the AW-12 subwoofer, a compact yet muscular bass-maker, the result is sound that more than matches Monitor Audio's lofty aspirations.

It's muscular when called upon, but articulate and beautifully integrated too, with little audible sign of the crossover from speakers to subwoofer.

As a result, it plays music almost as well as it relays film sound, capturing both vocal intonation and instrumental detail with relish.

Bass integration does unravel a little in the face of the very fastest rhythmic shifts, but seldom does the effect jar.

I've got the AW-12 sub since 1 year now, & I can say that it's awesome in every sense, both with movies & music. I don't see much point in mixing and matching brands when you've got such a superb sub.

I wasn't suggesting the MA sub is a dud, far from it. But there are minor (as I stated in my post) quibbles about the MA sub's ability with music in the sections of the review you reprint above, which are not levelled at the PV1.

There's surely logic in mixing and matching if the overall results offer a sonic improvement (and cost marginally less), aren't there?

I wasn't stating that this will necessarily be the case, but given such high regard for the PV1 and the financial advantages of pairing this with the MA centre and satellites, it's got to be worth an audition. Only trying to be helpful; and people are entitled to completely disregard anything I say (as is often the case on this forum).
emotion-6.gif

strapped for cash: I wasn't suggesting the MA sub is a dud, far from it. But there are minor (as I stated in my post) quibbles about the MA sub's ability with music in the sections of the review you reprint above, which are not levelled at the PV1.

There's surely logic in mixing and matching if the overall results offer a sonic improvement (and cost marginally less), aren't there?

I wasn't stating that this will necessarily be the case, but given such high regard for the PV1 and the financial advantages of pairing this with the MA centre and satellites, it's got to be worth an audition. Only trying to be helpful; and people are entitled to completely disregard anything I say (as is often the case on this forum).
emotion-6.gif

Awwww.....don't feel disheartened! It's just that the MA AW12 sub costs £850 & the B&W PV1 costs £950. So there are no cost savings with the PV1.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss:strapped for cash: I wasn't suggesting the MA sub is a dud, far from it. But there are minor (as I stated in my post) quibbles about the MA sub's ability with music in the sections of the review you reprint above, which are not levelled at the PV1.

emotion-6.gif

Awwww.....don't feel disheartened! It's just that the MA AW12 sub costs £850 & the B&W PV1 costs £950. So there are no cost savings with the PV1.

If I sound disheartened, it's because most of my posts these days are met with criticism or nitpicking (there's only so much a guy can take), though admittedly I'm usually pretty forthright when it comes to expressing my opinions, which some may justifiably take exception to. In short, perhaps I bring it on myself...

If the AW12 costs £850 then it is, indeed, cheaper to buy the components of the Apex 5.1 system seperately rather than as a complete package.

strapped for cash: If the AW12 costs £850 then it is, indeed, cheaper to buy the components of the Apex 5.1 system seperately rather than as a complete package.

How? Checking Peter Tyson's website, Apex A10 costs £275 each, so that makes it £1100 for 4 speakers. Apex A40 coss £425, & the AW12 sub costs £850. So the total is £2375, but if you buy it as a package, it costs £2370 (figures rounded off for sake of sanity).

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to nit-pick. Maybe you were looking at websites with either wrong prices or discounted individual speakers (which is less likely as the range is fairly new).

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
£2,374.40 if bought individually, so you're right, there's £4.50 in it.

Admittedly I was looking at individual prices compared with the price quoted in the WHF review. I'll raise the white flag and beat a hasty retreat!

I still think it's worth trying the satellites and centre with the PV1, though. If it offers a genuine sonic improvement then a small difference in outlay may well make it worthwhile.

A

Anonymous

Thats a joke, save 4.50 if you buy the whole kit.

I would but them seperate and ask for a 10% discount on each.

But then again that is the only RRP so I am sure some nice dealers out there will offer a discount if you buy the whole kit.

michael hoy

Having check prices on line for these speakers. there does not seem to be a big difference in advertised prices, maybe the retailer will give a discount at the point of sale.

Peter Tyson

Apex full system = £2369.90

Apex 10 = £274.90

Apex 40 = £424.90

Apex AW12 = £849.90

Total = £2374.40

HIFIX

£2425

£275

£425

£900

Total = £2425

Vickers HIFI

£2399 - no individual prices

Various retailers

PV1 sub = £950 within 5 pence

OK it is only £100 pounds more than the AW12, but I would know that the AW12 will integrate with the rest of the Apex system seamlessly.

michael hoy

michael hoy:michael hoy:
Going to demo the 5.1 Apex system on Thursday, any one listened to these already, if so what did you think.

I do not have the room to have larger speakers at the moment, trying to decide whether to put a smaller fireplace in and then mount the TV on the wall. I could then go for some larger speakers.

Right, had the demo courtesy of Roy Jowett in Colne Lancashire.

Firstly asthetics, the speakers look and feel solidly built, the black gloss finish looks gorgeous, thumbs up from the OH on this stage.

Sound - first demo was with the Onkyo 608 and the car chase from Quatum of Solace, the fast pace of this scene was portrayed by the speakers without fault and the small amount of dialogue was clear and crisp.

Then came the sub, fast tight bass and subtle when needed, but goes with a bang for those floor shaking moments.

Ran some music on bluray through them as well, vocals were very clear and not a hint of high pitched screaching from the trumpet in one of the jazz tracks, OH liked the sound from this setup better than our current setup so tick number 2.

Second demo was with the Arcam 500, this was in another league compared to the Onkyo (should be for £2000 pounds more), the sound really opened up and the dialogue was even clearer and again when needed the sub certainly woke you up, not in your face, subtle when needed.

Problem - the OH really liked this combo, but the amp is more than I would like to pay, I was thinking on the lines of the Denon 3311 and I think a second demo is called for when someone has this Apex / Denon combo available.

Well... Done the dirty deed, bought myself the Apex 5.1 system in the gorgeous piano black finish, will pick them up later this week.

OH very happy as well.

A

Anonymous

Ditto - Just bought the Apex speakers from Peter Tyson (although 7.1 for me). Now just waiting for the Denon 3311 to be released. Went for the Piano White (well, had to concede something to the wife!).

A

Anonymous

Hopefully they will be as good as my last set of AV speakers (Mission 753/751/75c) that are now up for sale. Had them for almost 14 years and excellent sound.

michael hoy

F2F:Hopefully they will be as good as my last set of AV speakers (Mission 753/751/75c) that are now up for sale. Had them for almost 14 years and excellent sound.

F2F,

Did you demo these or bought blind.

A

Anonymous

No I demoed them. Originally I was after the Kef 3005 eggs (not that great when compared against my old Missions). Then tried the B&W MT30's. I could definitely tell the difference (more convincing "3D" sound and the bass was much more defined). Then tried the Monitor Audio R90's. This was much more difficult. I found myself preferring the sat speakers from Monitor Audio but the sub from B&W. Then I was offered the MA Apex. And I was sold. They had the same fabulous bass sound as the B&W but, an even better sound from the sats. Only problem was that they were a grand over my initial budget. Went home to think about it. I wanted a 7.1 package and with the speakers that I wanted this was going to cost near £3k. I decided to shop around and found them at a very competitive price at Peter Tyson (never purchased from them before). I went back to the shop I had demoed the speakers at to see what they could do. They wouldnt budge from the list price. Its a shame as I had previously purchased all my Cyrus/Mission/Arcam stuff from them. I will give them first chance when I purchase the Denon 3311 (that way I wont feel so bad). I do prefer to buy from a shop but sometimes the discounts from the Internet are just to large and tempting.

michael hoy

Tried very similar packages to you recently and had various thoughts on the systems, the dealer I purchased from (Roy Jowett) were very helpful, needless to say we struck a deal that we were both happy with.

Hope you enjoy them.

michael hoy

Update on new speakers,

All speakers now in place and initialy setup using the Denon auto setup, will tweak the settings at the weekend, but have to say what a difference in sound quality, even in Stereo mode blows away my previous speakers.

The sub reveals the bass notes without even knowing it's there, with my old one you always new where the sub was no matter how much tweaking I did.

Will post more when even happier
emotion-2.gif

Ronald Archiebald: Michael Hoy,

Would you say that these were far superior to the B&W 685 Theatre? It's more than double the price!

Ronald

I can't say about the MA Apex (except the sub which I own), but the MA Radius HD speakers which I demoed were superior to the B&W 685 in my opinion (probably because of the sub). I'm told that the Apex range is superior to Radius HD. Besides, the Apex looks a lot nicer than the 685.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
BigBoss,

I do think that the sub may have made that difference. The ASW608 is of course no match for the AW12!

For £1200, I think the 685's are stonking value!

However, I would personally replace the rears with another pair of 685's and exchange the sub for a 610 or 610XP.

Ronald

Ronald Archiebald: I do think that the sub may have made that difference. The ASW608 is of course no match for the AW12!

Yes, probably you're right.

For £1200, I think the 685's are stonking value!

There's no denying that the 685's are a great set of speakers & offer excellent value. But I'm sure both MA Apex and B&W 685s serve to a different clientele. They look very different to one another.

TRENDING THREADS